1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone do drywall?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So anyway the summer project this year is to drywall the ceiling in half of our walk in basement and maybe put up a partition as well between the laundry area and the gym room for my wife, (I owe this to her she is a Saint, puts up with me and gave me the spare bedroom as a studio/guitar jam room) the issue is how much is too much to pay someone (12×16 is the amount of ceiling to be covered). I can do alot of stuff around the house but this is one job I will pay for.

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

It's not really skilled labor. There's far more skill involved in mudding and taping it well than there is in hanging it. You got a buddy with a 6' ladder?

3. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You can do it.I am finishing the taping in my bathroom i had to gut. Six sheets of lightweight sheet rock
    you can even rent a lift at depot. Just tape the flats and put molding in corners.

stepvan likes this.
  4. stepvan

I got a buddy that knows better to not get involved. Maybe rent a drywall jack? I just kinda want it done you know?

Alamo, Telecasterless and televillian like this.
  5. stepvan

I have been going back and forth about doing it myself, whats involved if you have water pipes for the heat that hangs below the studs? Its kinda is what is putting me off from doing the ceiling. I plan on framing the partition and drywalling that myself

6. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

I would use a damp, smooth sponge to "sand" it. Dry sanding is a huge clean-up project that can be mostly avoided.

electrichead, geoff_in_nc and dented like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Well worth paying someone if you can find a guy who will do it on the weekend outside his normal job. They are quick, the same guy may finish for you too. It's an art for sure.
    Check out CL maybe? Put an ad under services.

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you have pipes or ducts that hang below joists, then you will have to frame a chase, or chases to enclose them and create something to hang the sheetrock from. The only other alternative is to drop the entire ceiling below the level of the pipes or other intrusions. Get some bids and find out what the rate is for hanging the rock. Then you can decide whether it is worth your time to do it yourself. I recently walked up to a house under construction in our neighborhood and asked the drywall crew, who were all Mexican and spoke very little English, only one did actually, if they were interested in a side job for cash. They were, and I was very happy when they were done with my 450 square foot studio. It took them 1/4 of the time it would have taken me and the price was very fair.

ozcal, Peegoo and Harry Styron like this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dude, Dude, call a couple local drywall companies, they will give you a square foot cost. Pick one and go have a beer while they deal with the nightmare of sore shoulders, messiness, sharp blades, screw guns, mud, tape, sanding, more mud, more sanding, Dude, life is too short.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Hang, tape, float, spackle, paint. If you need to allow for stuff hanging down away from studs, you can screw in 1x2 behind the sheet rock cut-out to allow for the pipe and use screws to replace all or part of the cut-outs. Then replace the cut-out screwing them into the 1x2. Then tape and float.

11. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

I did drywall for a decade. I’ve seen a lot of non pros that can easily do it. It almost always looks like garbage to me. Drywall and finishing drywall is a legitimate and vastly underpaid skill.
    If you can afford to go with professionals and you care about the way your house looks do so and shop around. Contractors will provide free estimates and the prices can vary wildly. It helps to have request the bid have a material and labor split so you can see what they are charging. You can put the materials into a cart on Home Depot’s website to see if they material pricing is fair.

12. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I have never been a drywaller but have framed and drywalled some walls and ceilings, and was a painter for a long time so I am pretty handy with drywall mud.

For a partition wall, if you can frame and do it out of 2x4s, do it yourself. Hanging drywall on the wall is equally easy. If you want the room to look really nice, hire someone to skim coat it. If you are OK with it looking OK, tape and mud it yourself and put a texture on it. You can hide a lot of taping/mudding sins with 3-4 spray cans of texture and call it good.

If you are doing a ceiling, in the basement with pipes and all that, I would personally do a drop ceiling - they are easy to install and easy to move panels if you need to access pipes or wires. If you are set on doing a drywall ceiling, definitely rent a jack, you will spend two hours doing what would take 3 days without one, and it will come out better.

Edit: Just re-read the post, if the primary objective is to drywall the ceiling, just hire someone to do it. Overhead drywall work is no fun. Well most drywall work is no fun, but especially overhead.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    aging_rocker, ozcal, dogmeat and 2 others like this.
  13. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Price out the materials online. The labor will be somewhere between the material cost and twice that amount. I like the idea of checking out a few jobs in progress to see what kind of quality you can expect from a given crew. As mentioned above, maybe see if that crew that wants a side job on the weekend. I've done a lot of drywall, but never as a primary trade. I can make it look nice, but it takes me forever. It's really hard/tedious to make nice finished joints if you don't do it all the time. You will be much happier with the result if you get pros to do it.

ozcal, stepvan, televillian and 2 others like this.
  14. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

I think this is skill dependent, if you’ve worked in other building and construction types of areas and you get the concepts sure it’s not rocket science but if you don’t understand or have experience building it’s probably not a great idea to do yourself unsupervised.

televillian and Despres like this.
  15. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Years ago, we did an addition. The basement underneath it is a separate room and unfinished. I've been toying with the idea of simply painting the whole ceiling black or white. Here's some images I pulled off the web.

aa.jpg xx.jpeg

16. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Painted ceilings with exposed mechanicals are totally cool in my opinion. And the plus is that, if something ever goes wrong with the HVAC or plumbing, you don't have to tear into drywall to make repairs.

mrfitz98, stepvan and GGardner like this.
  17. stepvan

Only thing is we have radiant floor heat and its all insulated

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I'm with schmee on this one. Find someone who is currently working at drywall installation. They love side jobs. Just get everything written down that needs to be done first.

TheDavis and stepvan like this.
  19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I did it with a wife and two sons instead of a lift. I suggest a lift.

stepvan, jvin248 and El Famoso like this.
  20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Drywall is easy, but ceilings are another story altogether.

dented and schmee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.