Anyone compare the 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue with the LTD. Edition?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JRS11, Jul 8, 2012.

1. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

From searching on google seems like the main difference is the speaker and the ability of the ltd to break up sooner (other than the cosmetics). Any advantages to either?

Thanks

2. Ceausescu

Ceausescu TDPRI Member

Hello JRS,

I own a blonde DRRI ltd. edition. About three months ago, after returning a new standard (black tolex,C12K) DRRI to GC (due to a defective tone switch), I found the blonde sitting as floor display. She was still in perfectly new condition, though these were produced around 2007! I imagine nobody wanted this blonde beauty due to her "unconventional" looks. The P12Q has been discussed to great lengths on the forum, and for me, it has a far superior ability to produce the clean, bell-like tones of my '60's classic tele. It's all subjective, but if I were to be in the market for at DRRI again, I'd choose even the wine Tolex ltd. edition over the stock DRRI...just to have the speaker, since the price is only $50 more.

3. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

Thanks. It seems the price is $150 more these days. Sounds like you have a beauty. So far with only one day behind me (DRRI) I am happy. It sat on the floor for a few weeks, up on the display. Not sure it was played much, it was not abused that is for sure. I have the option of the new one that will come in, but so far this one sounds great, was just wondering if it is worth even thinking about the LTD, and if that will be harder to sell down the line if I ever decide to. To be honest this DR or a LTD I am sure will serve me well. I did see a video on youtube where some guy said you get breakup sooner on the LTD due to the speaker. Not sure if this is true or not, not sure I want breakup as I play pretty clean, no lead work here.

4. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

i have the wine & wheat. as long as you don't get a lemon, it's great. very nice.
    (someone told me they saw/heard what must have been a lemon...someone who works on fenders.)
    got it from MF when they had 15% off. (made off with that 150. difference.)

tell ya what, my strat sounds great through it. :twisted:

Telebeestar likes this.
  5. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

This what what I saw on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KduU8kmRsLg

Does he have it right? and if so, is it a big deal for someone who mostly is a strummer and does like a clean sound? (I would think not but it does look good).

another
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jA7XRQ0Fgw

So it has me thinking that for me it would be paying $150 more for wine red color and a nice wheat grill. I am sure the upgraded speaker is great, but it is more than that, with the wattage changed so it breaks up sooner as discussed in the first video I am sure I would never get there.

6. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

i would think my wine/wheat would sell better later.

i tried a short experiment with more efficient speakers and also tried a second speaker because deluxe was kicking ass but at the full 20 watts it hadn't the headroom to clean up (at that level) (guitar/attack volume). (those guys played too loud anyway!)
    a different speaker sounds different [might] but all told 20 watts is 20 watts.

...and a great 20 watts it is. in fact "those guys" have steadily brought it down so the drri is back...when i get off my ass and "find out" the trusty sr may be off-duty.:cry:

seems to me if it's 1) clean enough for you and, 2) loud enough...you're all-in, good to go. you may prefer the ceramic spkr.

7. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

Yes, it would seem you can't go wrong if you get a good one with either. And I agree, yours probably would sell faster later. I think I got a good black one though so it makes me a bit nervous to mess with a good thing.

8. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

I have the wine/wheat Ltd too. The stock alnico Jensen broke up far too early for me (I prefer tube break-up to speaker break-up anyway), so I swapped it out for a Swamp Thang.

9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I have the Cream Tolex with Oxblood cloth. Jensen C12n from 1960. Primo tubes. Gonna return it to stock and sell it. It's a '94. What are they worth in dead mint condition?

10. Ceausescu

Ceausescu TDPRI Member

GC had the standard for $999 and the LTD for $1049 a few months back. The breakup is sweet and comes at a lower volume setting, but since I do not push it past 4-5, it's not an issue. If you could get the LTD for $50 more, I feel that it would be worth the difference.

11. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

I assume that is a speaker? How quickly did it break up (I will be playing at home and love a warm tone)?

Thanks

12. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

Right now the standard is 899 with a fender $100 discount. That is not a rebate but an out the door discount. Thanks

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

To me, the Limited Edition doesn't sound like a DRRI. It' sounds good, but not like a Deluxe Reverb at all. Now, I haven't heard one in real life just these videos and the video on Pro-Guitars.com. Even with Andy playing it, the amp sounds bassy, and not like a DRRI. I'm not saying it sounds bad, just not like a Deluxe Reverb.

I'm waiting on a DRRI, and kicked the idea around of having them look for me a Limited Edition, and paying the difference. I've read where some players who have bought the limited have changed out the speaker later so I don't know what the advantage would be except the different color scheme, and I'm not for sure I like the wine color any better, might be tiring to look at after a while.

14. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

The C12K is a better speaker for the DRRI than the P12Q. The C12K has a fuller sound and more clean headroom.

15. JRS11

JRS11 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. I was going on the demos by ProGuitar which seem to be the best out there. Now that the Ltd Ed is at the end of the run the price has come down tne difference is indeed only about $50 and I will try them side by side and see. Thanks again

16. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

The stock P12Q had an annoying kind of breakup at around 6 on the vol (possibly a speaker cone issue - very crackly - I didn't like it anyway), so I changed it out for an Eminence Swamp Thang, which retains the sparkly top end and adds a bit more bottom end too (I've had one for a while in a Blues Deluxe, so knew it'd sound good in the DRRI). The Swamp Thang sounds great at all volumes and at 102 db is a very efficient speaker too.

However, I recently snagged a Celestion Gold for cheap and have that in the DRRI at the moment. Not sure which speaker I prefer in the DRRI...neither speaker is broken in yet, so I'm gonna play them both for a while before I decide which one stays.

17. guitarnorm

guitarnorm TDPRI Member

Hate to revive an old thread, but I picked up the Blonde DRRI LTD with the P12q in it yesterday. I didn't like the stock speaker in the DRRI I already owned (some Cermaic Jensen) and changed it to an Eminence Texas Heat. I LOVE the P12q in this new blonde model. It sounds great clean, and breaks up nicely with the overdrive of the amp as well.

swany likes this.
  18. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

I just bought a blonde - after bidding on one on ebay that went for $1300 - so I'd say they hold their value when I could have gotten a black one for half of that.

(I didn't win that one on ebay) but found another, and I paid a grand for it

19. Harpboy

Harpboy TDPRI Member

FWIW, I've owned the wine/wheat LTD for just over a year. I chose it over the standard DRRI for its unique looks and because I know and like very much the Jensen P12Q reissue. I've owned a Traynor YGM-3 RI with the same speaker and like it. In general I lean toward AlNiCo speakers because of their vintage heritage and overall characteristics. I wouldn't buy a Mesa with such a speaker obviously, but the old Fenders (and the reissues thereof) just beg for them. The Mesa is a modern amp and doesn't have the heritage that calls for an old(type) speaker.

In general, my approach to amps and guitars is to let them be true to their original character rather than trying to make them into something they're not. If I want or need something "they're not", I buy something "that is", if that makes sense.

Telebeestar and bloomz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.