Anyone compare Martin's D-15m & D-17m?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 6, 2016.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Am stranded far from a well-stocked Martin dealer. Will get my hands on both to compare ASAP, but dunno when. Very interested in these two as I've realized that I'm just too indelicate a player for my lovely 000-15m.

Thanks for any comparative info about these models.

2. RoscoeElegante

Bump.

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

For what it's worth, I've been to a bunch of guitar shops in this area, and while I've seen and played a ton of D-15m's, I've never seen a D-17m. Don't take it personally if you don't get an answer for a while.

4. RoscoeElegante

Hey, Coop47. Thanks. Kinda figured that. The 17M seems the rare bird.

Could you tell me your thoughts about the 15M? I'm in pretty serious Sticksville. Thanks.

5. Coop47

There are a lot more informed opinions than mine, but I really like it. I've had to talk myself out of buying a couple of used ones. Come to think of it, I actually did buy a used one from GC, but it arrived with a crack. I have a 1985 Guild D-50, a 1997 Martin D-2R and a Takamine EF-341SC. To me, the D-15m is on par with the D-2R (which I love), but not as nice as the old Guild, or an HD-28, which is the Martin I eventually want to get. So, I while I don't want to oversell it, I think it is a really good guitar at a reasonable price, and something that will get even better as it gets played. If you want to buy a guitar, I can't think of a reason not to get it. Hope that helps.

6. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I had a D-15m for three years and it was great, it got me back into the habit of practicing every day after many years away from the guitar. Ultimately, I found that I didn't play it very much though. I just prefer the Gibson sound - my first acoustic was a 1974 J-50 that I still have. And I now have a couple other Gibsons that I really like.

Ended up giving the D-15m to my son in law and he loves it. I think the real strength of the D-15m is beautiful, rich sounding open chords. Of course, there are other things that also sound good on it. We had another long thread on the D-15m awhile ago and there was a lot of disagreement on this, but for me I found that the higher strings sounded kind of weak.

This was mostly noticeable when I played blues with a melody line on the upper strings, such as Lightnin' Hopkins style. Not saying that the D-15m was bad, just that the Gibsons sounded noticeably better for this.

It's a very personal thing, and never bothered me until I got deeper into fingerpicking and blues. I just liked the Gibsons much more and felt guilty that the Martin was spending so much time in the case.

Not sure what your comment means about being an "indelicate player", but the D-15m responds very well if you pound away on it with a flatpick.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a 20 year old D-15. (no M).

I have a 4 year old 000-15M.

I have a friend who owns an 18 year old D-17. (no M).

The 17 will be a gloss coated 15.....that's it. 100% mahogany, straight bracing, dread with gloss.

Naz Fest 2014. See the girl in the front row with the shiny mahogany dread?? That's a 17. They are rare. Sounds like a tighter D-17.....looks very old fashioned. That's the one that I've listened to. I'm in the 4th row holding a slot head next to my face. See me?? That's me.

[​IMG]

Your 15 will open and bloom faster without the gloss. A Martin isn't a standard series until it is a 21 series or better. A 17 is just a glossed 15. They made the 17's many years ago (like two decades ago) for about 4 years and dropped the series. Recently the 17's are available again.

If you dig gloss and want a change then go for it but that glossy mahogany dread will open sower than what you have now.

Seeing a glossed 100% mahogany dread is unusual and they are striking but I like the satin mahogany.

8. flatpicker1966

flatpicker1966 Tele-Meister

Several years ago,I tried a D15(mahogany)?,a guy had who had come out to pick with us.I liked the bright mid range tone,the 15 had.Never heard of the 17 yet.I did try out a D16R,that was actually better than the D28,sitting right next to it.

9. Coop47

Great info - I'd never heard this. What does it mean to be a standard series? Whatever it means, I would've thought the D18 would fall into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.