Anyone collect anything unusual?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fendereedo, Aug 1, 2021.

1. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I have a lot of old Budweiser stuff, from steins, belt buckles, salt and pepper shakers, to a radio and a bud tin like the old tins if beer filled with small bud packets of mints

uriah1, Midgetje94 and Fendereedo like this.
  2. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

My whole house is done in 50s & 60s retro furniture & electrics.

uriah1, SRHmusic, RobRiggs and 5 others like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hoard odd smells, when I scratch here.....what does that smell like to you?

if you guessed # 43 you'ld be right!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

The severed heads of all my ex-girlfr...

Stamps. I collect stamps.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

If you love the Quatermass serials, then this could be for you

The Quatermass Collection: The Quatermass Experiment / Quatermass 2 / Quatermass & the Pit [DVD] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000772838/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3SMVA9WHDN0MKH8E97QV

The Angle likes this.
  6. Fendereedo

@Gibson you would I if you were in my house lol! ;)

7. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

That's neat. Always wanted to do that. Like a time warp.

8. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Have had a lot of collections, but the only thing that might be mildly unusual, is editions of the Robert Louis Stevenson book Treasure Island.

Saw the Disney film as a young kid at the drive in theatre in Hawaii, with Bobby Driscoll and Robert Newton, and read the book very soon after. I became obsessed with not just T.I., but pirate stories and sea stories in general. And any RLS books too I guess.

So I had quite a few editions already, though nothing spectacular or remarkable, when I was in my late 20s early 30s. I had immigrated and built a house up here in Nova Scotia by that time. My parents came up to visit me almost annually, usually in the fall to time it with the autumn leaves. So on one visit we were just home from the airport, sitting in the living room, everyone with a drink starting to catch up, mom reaches down into her purse and pulls out this little book and hands it to me, and it’s a first edition of TI, and I mean the Very First edition, and I’m blown away of course. My dad’s last living uncle had past some time before, and a bunch of the cousins had finally got together to go through his stuff, and this was one of the dozens, if not hundreds of amazing first editions and other things that he had collected. She also had printed out a page describing what all the points to look for in identifying a true first edition, and they were all there. Unreal, when I think about it, I still can’t believe I inherited this thing.

I was working for this gruff old fart as a cabinet and furniture maker at the time, and after hours at the shop I built a cedar lined cherrywood display cabinet to house it.

So for me, once I had the biggie, the rarest most expensive one, it rekindled my passion. Now twenty some years on, I can’t pass a used bookstore without running in to check.

Silly, the stuff that speaks to us, that we glom onto, that we allow to define us. How much energy we spend, tending our gardens of nostalgia.

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an all-but-one collection of the original "Tom Swift" series of books...1910s to 1930s. A few have original dust jackets...but collectors have scanned all of the original jackets and they can be printed out.

Fountain pens...with sub collections of filler types and Parker vacs from WWII.

Woodworking hand tools (mostly Stanley) that I use.

A few pocket watches.

The rest are music related.

RobRiggs, Neener, uriah1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Debts

Archtops and Fendereedo like this.
  11. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Gardo: Thanks for Posting the great picture of the 1950 Ford. That was just like my first car when I was 16 and was the family car my Mom drove. My Dad took the green car and transformed it by having it painted Black like your Poster. Being in the car repair business he had already modified the engine for performance an reliability and also had the interior upgraded with Black and White "Rolls and Pleats" as a wonderful surprise for my birthday circa 1958.
    [​IMG]
    Your Poster was such great quality I was able to print a copy and now have it framed and hanging in my Old Man Cave. Again, Thank You.

Lost_N_Austin

uriah1, Archtops, Gardo and 1 other person like this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

"Wait, wait wait...you have tea parties...with your dolls?"

[WARNING: adult language and other stuff intended for mature audiences]:

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

I like cheap toy dinosaurs, like the kind you find at dollar stores, supermarkets and the like. Like this:

[​IMG]

I've always been into dinosaurs, and I find these toys (particularly the anachronistic, now-known-to-be-horribly-inaccurate ones) charming. The "hunt" for another store with a different variety is fun, and it's a cheap thing to collect. Also, ever since my older brother started having kids and bemoaning the lack of simple, durable toys for kids (everything seems to be a fragile, flashy piece of crap that needs 12 batteries and/or an app), I've been keeping them in a couple of boxes so my kids can enjoy the simple pleasure of dino toys.

bromdenlong, RobRiggs, Neener and 8 others like this.
  14. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

I have a small collection of demonstrator-only musical instruments.
    They were not sold in stores, rather they were sold door to door in rural communities.
    The salesman would demonstrate the instrument and offer it as a frugal alternative to an expensive piano.
    Each of them is difficult to play in its own way, and it's clear why they never caught on.
    Here are a few of them, from left to right, The Tremoloa, The Ukelin, and the Victor Harp.
    [​IMG]

Neener, pixeljammer, uriah1 and 6 others like this.
  15. Fendereedo

That's a great story. I love Treasure Island too. I have a couple of copies too. My favourite childhood book is Stig Of The Dump, I have a few copies of that one.

It's certainly a nostalgia thing. The Quatermass thing developed through my grandmother, who would talk about these 3 BBC serials on TV back in the 50s, later I found that they had been made into Hammer horror movies, but I'm not keen on them, as they lose half the story,

I suppose the love for something does spring from nostalgia, and my memories of my grandmother, and her spooky tales that piqued my interest in the first place.

16. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

Air Rifles !

uriah1 and Fendereedo like this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

88363751-8EF0-4FD0-9EF9-9AB052C25EB2.jpeg

bromdenlong, Rmccamey, uriah1 and 5 others like this.
  18. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 Tele-Meister

Nothing too eclectic. I have the normal record collection (about 1500 pieces), Cds (@1000) cassettes (@600) so I guess more of a music collector. My strangest thing I have collected we vintage headphones. They all in storage right now but yeah, I have "cans" going back to the 20s. Most work and you can really hear the advances in the tech. My wife has told me not to buy any more but my hand starts to shake and creep toward my wallet when I see a pair in a thrift or flea market.

Oh. I forgot that I also kind of collect air rifles too. But while I have 7 air rifles, I seem to have concentrated on air pistols with 14. A few are pumpers but the majority are co2 powered. I have a few that are specific target pistols with 14" barrels.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Neener, pixeljammer, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would love to have a car like you had. Glad I made you smile and thanks for the story

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

'Five Millions Years To Earth' (fave movie)

Harry Styron and Fendereedo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.