1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone catch the Prince segment on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StratDal, Apr 12, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

people can sit at home and listen to music
    when they go to see a show, or when they watch a recorded performance, they want spectacle, and yes, people do listen with their eyes.

You and Duane may not like it, but it doesn't change that fact one bit

That Guitar Gently Weeps clip we've all seen, just give it a listen sometime without watching it. It's ok. It's pretty good.

But... when you listen while watching Prince perform his part...that's when it becomes magical.

Prince wins. :)

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Also let's not forget who did the greatest Super Bowl halftime show of eternity

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn’t care less about CeeLo but Prince’s playing on that video clip is phenomenal! It illustrates that he’s a great musician.

Ronzo likes this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a fan, but your assessment is pretty much spot on.

5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Prince was the full package. Full packages are destroyed in the end. Their strengths are their weaknesses and the machine shows no mercy.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I get all of the wonderful comments about Prince's talent. I can't imagine anyone with more freedom and control on the guitar. I also understand he was a very nice and genuine person. But his stage image was a little too flashy, nasty, and drippy for me.

1955 likes this.
  7. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

As a teen in the '80s – at the height of Purple Rain super stardom – I was not a Prince fan. With the exception of When Doves Cry, it just wasn't my thing. However, at that age, I had never played a single chord on a guitar and if someone had said the word "telecaster" I would have had no idea what they were talking about.

Fast forward to, say, 2017 (and having learned enough guitar to at least know how vastly far I have to go) I stumbled upon said video of While My Guitar Gently Weeps (being – up to then – a fan of pretty much every musician there except Prince) and my mouth hung agape through the entirety of that performance. I had no idea what a transcendent guitarist he was. The impression I had of him and his music for 30 some years flipped in about 3 minutes of that masterpiece.

Where did that guitar go? Prince himself has probably caught it by now somewhere in the stratosphere...

kLyon likes this.
  8. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

people can sit at home and listen to music
    when they go to see a show, or when they watch a recorded performance, they want spectacle, and yes, people do listen with their eyes.

You and Duane may not like it, but it doesn't change that fact one bit

That Guitar Gently Weeps clip we've all seen, just give it a listen sometime without watching it. It's ok. It's pretty good.

But... when you listen while watching Prince perform his part...that's when it becomes magical.

Obvious different strokes, etc. but ostentatious stage acts are...to me....distracting and off-putting. I like watching performance videos but costume changes, smoke, lights and dancing....Meh. Can't stand to even watch Mick Jagger and Prince's dumbsassed tossing of the guitar at the end of his...admittedly amazing...solo ruined it for me.

9. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to see the reference here. Let's get some context.

I contend he was smarter than that.

10. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.