1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone carry a swiss army knife? (pics appreciated)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I read somewhere that Victorinox was hit hard by the downturn in air travel, because a big part of their business is in duty-free shops.

Chef's set. Rosewood handles!

[​IMG]

Bruxist, ukepicker and superjam144 like this.
  2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I've had my Super Tinker since 1994. Carried it with me for years, now it lives under the dashboard of my car. I use it all the time still.

I remember I thought long and hard about which model to get and decided the Super Tinker was the most versatile/useful without going overboard. Not sure if that's still the case!

ukepicker likes this.
  3. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

I have a tiny one.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Same as I've carried on my key ring for decades. Found my first one in the 70s in the pocket of a blazer from Goodwill. My girlfriend's sister borrowed it and lost it almost instantly with the expected zero remorse.

ukepicker likes this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just got one from my mom, she cleaned out my dad’s underwear drawer and gave me all the stuff that was in there he’s been gone for about 13 years he died of leukemia but I’ve got his official Swiss Army knife pretty damn cool

DrPepper, Bruxist, ukepicker and 2 others like this.
  6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I've carried the same Victorinox Champion C since the 80s. I've used every tool on it more times than I could possibly count except the fish scaler. I don't fish, so I've used it a few times but I doubt I've ever used it for its intended purpose.

I recently bought a second version of the exact same knife to carry some and give each knife to my two kids in several years when they grow up enough to appreciate them.

ukepicker likes this.
  7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

9. Dig it

Dig it TDPRI Member

This is mega handy. I don't like stuff in my pockets either. saknife.jpg

10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I like hearing the stories of how you guys inherited these from dads and uncles.
    And even @drmordo is consciously working to imbue his with inheritability for his sons. Very cool.

Now, I can't tell if all these old ones are around because they were so well made or if it's because they haven't seen much use/pocket-time over the decades.

But I'm hoping to receive my Climber tomorrow.
    I'm anxious to begin consolidating the things I carry.
    And looking forward to carrying a more non-threatening pocket blade.

drmordo likes this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I had a version of Victorinox's smallest knife (which is now called the Classic SD) that had rosewood sides. Bought it in the early 1990s, carried it for years until the wood had split and would no longer stay on and the toothpick and tweezers had long disappeared. I wish they still made that; I'd buy another in a heartbeat and the walnut ones aren't the same.

ukepicker likes this.
  12. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I carried one of those for years, but then I stopped drinking and didn't need the corkscrew or the bottle opener anymore. I carry a nice low-key un-macho Opinel #8 these days.

lmjmitchell and ukepicker like this.
  13. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have their Chef's knife (fibrox handle) and slicing and bread knives (rosewood handles) and have given many more as gifts and they are excellent knives and cheap. Of course, they are stamped and not forged. But they are exceptional knives at any cost.

The only downside with the rose wood is, like a fretboard, they may not look the same. Have had some almost black and some very light, so it you want a matched set that looks like a matched set, they may not be for you.

14. Bruxist

The Dragonfly is a pinnacle of knife engineering when it comes to handle and blade integration. Have had a few. I have a Carbon Fiber handled one I gave to my dad, but it just sits on his dresser (he uses a mini SAK on his keychain).

ukepicker likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

The SAK-like one I have is an older Boyscout style with the black fake bone scales. Can't find it because that was one of the knives I used as a teenager that folded on me when using it. It's probably wherever the SAK is at. My father carried a series of Barlow folders, used for scraping distributor points and other abuse jobs. I grew up on a farm and a knife is a utility tool that a small or thin blade just doesn't work that well.

Once I found locking knife blades I tossed all the folders in a drawer.

In my pocket at the moment is one of these, but it's just a brand of the type I'm after, other days I carry a stout "four dollar flipper" that does the same tasks. It's a multi-tool: knife, wood splitter, screw driver, fire starter, pry-bar, and bottle opener. And the odd shipping box. Always a locking blade.

[​IMG]

lmjmitchell and ukepicker like this.
  16. Bruxist

These Micras are great! Have given these as gifts to so many people. Including my wife, who has had it on her keychain for at least a decade and is constantly asking me if I have scissors. Oh well.

ieatlions and ukepicker like this.
  17. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had one of those but lost it ...honestly forgot about it until your post!

985plowboy likes this.
  18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I carry a atinker, too. I bought a bunch of blue ones for my groomsmen and FiL (and wife -- she insisted) for my wedding.

Last year I gave the one I carried since then to my daughter and started carrying the spare.

ukepicker likes this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't carry Swiss Army but, my current favorite knife is an older Carl Schleiper German eye Brand whittler with stag handles. A beautiful nand crafted knife that I will treasure for the rest of my life...

Looks like this:

german-eye-carl-schlieper-stag-whittler-knife_1_a19f83dc4029fa15018fde0d32e192d7.jpg

985plowboy and ukepicker like this.
  20. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Opinel's are great knives and one of the best knife values around!

basher and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.