1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone carry a swiss army knife? (pics appreciated)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Streamlight Microstream USB (pic is not mine, but mine looks just like this but a little worn). I had the AAA version (I guess I still do) and loved it and decided to get a rechargeable. Love it.

[​IMG]

telestratosonic and ukepicker like this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

The magnifying glass will do in a pinch, which for me is what Swiss Army knives are for. They're rarely the ideal tool for the job, but the fact that you have it on you outweighs all that.

I'm much more likely to use that combo tool as a bottle opener, flathead screwdriver or general prying tool. Works pretty well as a staple remover, too (use it on the back side to lift the "legs" of the staple, then on the other to pull the whole thing off).

Thanks! The Yeoman is kind of hard/expensive to find these days. I got mine from a guy who goes by Swiss Bianco who apparently has some exclusive deal to sell certain Victorinox products, and his websire doesn't list the Yeoman now. Mine was a little expensive compared to comparable SAKs you can get at a store but it was worth it since I already knew it would be perfect for me and I use it almost every day. The Explorer Plus is the closest widely-available one I'm aware of, though it has 4 layers. It's actually what I had first, and I still keep it as a spare/for parts if need be (need hasn't yet been).

I usually carry the Yeoman in the cheap "leather" belt pouch lots of SAKs come with (not to besmirch them; I'm on my second one in over 5 years of daily use, though it would be nice to find a high quality leather alternative). If I put it in my pocket it's just to do some quick thing with it. You don't forget you're carrying it but it's not problematically large/heavy. If I leave the house it goes in the belt pouch. It's more handy that way and again, not so big as to be uncomfortable.

Would a fire steel work with an SAK? I think they require a right-angle edge and SAKs are somewhat rounded. aside from their cutting edges. I'd also be wary of striking a fire steel with a folding knife, even one with a decent pressure lock like an SAK. I'm not sure if the type of metal the knife is made from makes a difference.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I like having a larger sized blade (bigger than 2", smaller than 4"). But I don't know how to fight with a knife. I hope I never have to. I expect if I yanked out my spyderco in self-defense, it would be taken from me and used against me.

And frankly, even here in Texas, a large folder can scare people or raise eyebrows.
    Most people aren't afraid of a SAK. Most have fond MacGuyver memories. . .

I almost "donated" a $100 knife last year.
    It feels a little like a weight lifted to think that a SAK is less than $30 and easily/readily replaced.

telestratosonic likes this.
  4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Sweet! That's a great light.

Bruxist likes this.
  5. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Hiker all the way. It's got everything I want and nothing I don't. But I'm thinking of switching to a Spyderco para 3 or carrying the SAK in another bag when I'm camping. The blade just gets dull so quickly. I wish they came out with a high-performance series with harder steels. At least VG-10.

telestratosonic and ukepicker like this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Good question! They recommend the back of the saw (which is square) or the edge of the awl.

And yes, it works! They even have an option for a firesteel that screws into the corkscrew - with a bit of compressed tinder. Very cool.

Not that I feel I need it. But I think it's cool.

telestratosonic likes this.
  7. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

I used to carry a Champ, it was very big to carry on my pocket and somehow I managed to lose it.
    Now I want a new one, great tools.

ukepicker likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have a small one I always carry with me. Saved my butt one time when my truck was overheating in traffic trying to head from OC to Phoenix for Thanksgiving a few years back. I had an electric fan on it and the control module burnt out. All I had was my knife but I was still able to splice the fan connections directly to the battery and force it on until I got to my dad's.
    I use the scissor attachment more than anything else for trimming hangnails. With constant handwashing and application of sanitizer right now my hands dry out even more than normal. I can't stand hangnails, so that knife is always in my pocket.
    IMG_0001.JPG

brookdalebill and ukepicker like this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

If there's even an outside chance you could find it handy and you can sacrifice the tiny screwdriver, then why not?

Good point in the saw and awl; two tools not on my SAK :rolleyes:

ukepicker likes this.
  10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I hear you - VG10 is great.
    I'm surprised that victorinox hasn't done this. I think a locking S30V blade, coupled with a two-mode high quality led light (and the can opener/corkscrew, etc implements) would cinch up my carry tools into one nice, neat package. I'd love having it all in one place.

I'm gonna look at the soft steel as an opportunity to teach my boys how to sharpen their hikers. I've learned a lot since my grandpa gave me that buck 55 with the cheap stone. Time to pass it on.

11. SixStringSlinger

Shoot, why not go all the way and go the partscaster route? Pretty much all the parts are interchangeable, you just need the correct length bolts for however many layers you end up with. They can even have a Custom Shop with different metals, scales made from exotic materials, the works.

ukepicker likes this.
  12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

ukepicker likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I use my Leatherman more than my Swiss Army, but I like having both with me.
    I thought my knife was a Tinker.
    I have another similar one, so I might be confused.
    I should actually tune up (oil, sharpen) both!

Bruxist likes this.
  14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

What a great idea!! Victorinox Custom Shop.

There's already a market for it (Swiss Bianco, Daily Customs, etc)

I would be a customer.

15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Pioneer Alox. Also on my radar.

What a beautiful, simple, useful tool.
    Would you call it sturdy?
    I've carried locking folders my whole life. I'm a little worried about relying solely on a slipjoint.
    But SAKs - and the Alox variety especially - have decent reputations for being solidly built.

Several more than 30 years old in this thread already.

jonnyfez likes this.
  16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very sturdy. No issue with it closing on you. I've put that thing through the wringer and it just never fails. I looked on the blade - mine was made in 1992.

ukepicker likes this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    I've carried one of the tiddly little ones, on my keychain, for over 20 years. Weighs next-to-nothing and is a no-brainer, for nail care, with soft or brittle nails becoming the norm, these days. The blade is quite adequate, for the kind of mundane tasks it was designed to perform- opening envelopes, paring fruit, cutting string, sharpening pencils..... An extremely useful and durable thing. :)

FrankJames and ukepicker like this.
  18. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine. Used daily for all sorts of things. Today I used It to fit a smoke alarm, pull a nail out of my bike tyre and pack up a rug for return. I think it's an Explorer. IMG_20201201_184729.jpg an Explorer.

Bruxist and ukepicker like this.
  19. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

What I need / want....

tool1.jpg

What I currently carry....

IMG_20201201_135612971.jpg

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

32F607E0-0333-4860-B85A-1F89587E1678.jpeg Love them

lmjmitchell and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.