1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone carry a swiss army knife? (pics appreciated)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't have that Wave. I think the first one I sent back was because the wire cutters got chewed up (they were too soft and I think on some they put replaceable blades on at least one model). Think the scissors gave out on the next one (the spring is a weak point that will eventually wear out). Each time they sent me a newer model. Sometimes improved (knife blades) and sometimes not so much (the newer scissors are smaller).

Will snap a pic of the CyberTool (which sounds like another name for an internet troll).

telestratosonic and ukepicker like this.
  2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

My wife refuses twist tops. :(

So I went with a corkscrew instead of the philips. Bonus - I can thread one of those little mini-screwdrivers in the corkscrew. I know that will be useful.

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Bruxist

Oh and after going through countless holsters, I bought their clip accessory and carry it in my left front pocket (next to my flashlight).

4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have carried an REI edition Victorinox in my pocket since the late 1980's. I've nearly lost it a few times at security checks in airports, ballparks, etc. The shield and REI metal emblems have fallen off, I've lost the toothpick, there are some chips, and I removed the little split ring a long time ago. The current model closest to it seems to be the Tourist--in fact it looks identical. I particularly like having the reamer/punch/awl tool, but it (ahem) "jacknife"s easily so can be a bit dangerous.

I am pretty sure I can blame it for a lot of pockets wearing out, but it's less bad now that the little ring is gone.

[​IMG]
    I also have one of these in my desk at the office; I occasionally use the scissors that are hidden inside:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Ha!

My wave plus has mini-screwdriver (flat on one end, phillips on the other), as well as the bit driver. I haven't hard-used it, though. I'm pretty sure a CPM-30 blade that has been razor sharp since I got it.
    I picked it up "used" at a gunshow for $50. I don't think the dealer knew what he had.

telestratosonic and Bruxist like this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

What's your flashlight?

Bruxist likes this.
  7. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

I carry one constantly, unless I'm in one of the very few places that it's illegal to do so here in Tennessee. I've got several that I've accumulated over the years. My favorites are the Electrician, Compact, and Explorer. I always have a Leatherman in my backpack, too, but I find it too heavy to carry in my pocket.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I've been carrying one of these on my keyring for more years than I can count. You would not believe how often I use it, including the scissors.

ukepicker likes this.
  9. Bruxist

20201201_124911.jpg

brookdalebill and ukepicker like this.
  10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

It wears out your pocket? Do you carry it loose in the pocket?

I'm anxious to try carrying one. I might need to suspend it on a clip. Or get a sheath for it.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  11. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ummm ... yeah ... I thought that was ok, but now you mention it ...

ukepicker likes this.
  12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I really like the looks of the second blade on the electrician. How do you like it?

13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker with me every day.

[​IMG]

My kids gave it to me. What you can't see is the toothpick. This is my third. One ended up being owned by a lucky TSA agent. I lost this one and bought a replacement but then found it again so I carry this one in my watch pocket in my jeans.

My older son later gave me a Spyderco Sage 3 which I LOVE but can't get up the nerve to carry. I've never owned such a nice knife. Funny, huh?

Bob

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep.. got a nice black Swiss Champ... have a Climber too in a rucksack somewhere.. Bought in Switzerland when I was big into alpine mountaineering. Very well made stuff. Lasted years. The champ is in my tool cupboard... regularly used.

i have the holster for my champ. Got sharpening stone and a few extras.

Victorinox.. but Wenger is OK too.

ukepicker likes this.
  15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

ha!
    My spydercos have been clipped in my back pocket for years - and all my jeans have a worn out pocket because of it.

It's worth it to have what you need when you need it.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  16. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Sage 3 was always my favorite of the series.

Watch pocket!! I'm so glad to hear this!
    I've been carrying my buck 303 in my watchpocket (along with a maratac AAA flashlight and a space pen). I would love it if my new SAK fits there almost as well as the buck.

17. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

It's one of my most-used tools! Great for opening plastic packaging, scribing wood, stripping wire, and scraping things. I try to reserve the main blade for food and clean wood.

ukepicker likes this.
  18. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I do own a Swiss army but I never leave home without my Leatherman Micra.

ukepicker likes this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have 3... one I've had for > 30 years, it was given to me in 5th grade when I went to Boy Scout camp.

One is about 20 years old, that one is my favorite, I bought it when I got out of school.

And last year I was in Switzerland and I bought 3 just to say I had some I actually bought in Switzerland. I gave one to my father, and one to my father in law, and kept the 3rd.

My favorite one is the Deluxe Tinker.. scissors and pliers are WAY too useful. The one I kept for myself from last year has a saw.. I always wanted one with a Saw. The Saw is not that useful though, it's nowhere near as useful as the scissors or pliers.

The Deluxe Tinker mostly stays in my tackle box. I keep one knife near my guitar stuff for odds and ends. The other one floats around.

I don't really "carry" them because I figure that if I get in the habit I'm going to end up donating a knife to TSA.

I have never understood the tough guy knives.. I'm not going to get in a knife fight and 99% of the time a big giant blade and no tools is not going to be very useful, what am I supposed to stab a fish with a K-bar when I go fishing or something?

ukepicker and hemingway like this.
  20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've gone back to backpacks now, but for a while I had various man bags that just worked better with the office gear - folders and the occasional laptop. But I don't go to the office any more.

My man bags were always pretty rough and ready, though. More like school satchels or tool bags with long straps.

I'm not really worried about being stopped and searched. But carrying any kind of blade is seriously looked down on here. So even if you have a legal one, like a SAK, you have to be able to justify having it. And I don't want it confiscated.

Somewhat worryingly, I bought my son his first SAK when he was 11 or 12, and gave him a stern lecture about not taking it out of the house unless it was on a camping trip. Then I put it in his backpack . . . which then became his schoolbag . . . and he took it to school for a week without realising.

If it had fallen out of his bag we could have had some serious splainin' to do.

ukepicker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.