1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone carry a swiss army knife? (pics appreciated)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm very particular about my knives. They have to be thin so they don't load up my pocket, they have to be easy to open with one hand, they have to retain an edge and be sharp (which is also known as C) and they have to be quality (no cheap ass knives allowed). I hate carrying bulky things in my pocket and even though I have a very nice Swiss Army knife with all the things, I don't carry it, it's in my armrest console in my car.

I DO have a second Swiss Army knife, though, that meets my specs. I'm in a hotel room in Sacramento right now but it's this model:

7D9CBE3B-25C4-48F5-BE09-864A291051B8.jpeg

Meets all my specs and has a built in toothpick and tweezers.

2. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

I think you mean does anybody have one, because they're not very big, almost everybody could carry one easily.

ukepicker likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Champion?
    That's a big chunk to carry everyday.

I've had several leatherman tools live on my hip over the years. But when I stopped landscaping, I hardly ever used the pliers. And they are easily the heaviest part of the tool. I'm anxious to get nearly all the same functionality I got from my Leatherman Wave, but at less than the weight of my current regular pocketknife!

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not anymore. I carry a Leatherman Wave though.

I started in IT carrying a black SAK (forget which model) and used the can-opener for phillips-heads.

At some point I went down the rabbit-hole of multi-tools (Gerber, Kershaw, Victorinox, etc.) but did not have much love for them until the Leatherman Wave came out in 1998 and I have carried one almost daily since. It is the 3rd one I have had after 2 warranty replacements.

For a while I carried the Wave with the Cybertool 29, which is a great SAK with the bit driver and bits for IT folks but without the subpar and oversized pliers of the larger Cybertool. I ground off the lanyard ring so it would not dig into my hand if I needed to really torque something down. It is my favourite of the many I have owned.

ukepicker likes this.
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Which leatherman do you carry?
    I've had an original wave (on my belt) and a wave plus with a pocketclip that used to live in my FOH gearbag (in my back pocket during setup/souncheck/gig).

Bruxist likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

7. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Leatherman Rebar in a case on my belt. 4" one-hand, locking Spyderco clipped to my front-right jeans pocket.

ukepicker likes this.
  8. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had one of these! The Yeoman was the best standard model for my money before the Cybertool. Just the right features. Yeah the magnifying glass is not the most useful feature, but it always accompanies the in-line phillips, which is a must and much more useful than the one that replaces the corkscrew (which for me was mostly there to hold the eyeglass screwdriver).

On a whim, I tried opening a can with the combination screwdriver/can opener/bottle opener. It was not pretty. :)

SixStringSlinger and ukepicker like this.
  9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Is that the one with the clip? How do you carry it?

(I like the new avatar, btw)

Torren61 likes this.
  10. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I apologize for my Texan "English"

I should've titled the thread "Does anyone regularly carry a swiss army knife?"

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I carry a Victorinox Waiter knife everyday. I've had it so long the Victorinox emblem worked itself loose so I pulled it out.

[​IMG]

ukepicker likes this.
  12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I've had several waves, too. Bought my first in 1998, too. I had a leather pouch (for dressing up) and a nylon one (for work).

My wave plus has a nut driver and a bit set. Do you have one of those? How does it compare to the cybertool?

Bruxist likes this.
  13. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

4"? Endura? Paramilitary? Police?

I love Spyderco and really respect the brand. (Leatherman, too for that matter).

I once had an opportunity to trade my tenacious for a stainless Police and didn't do it. Wish I would've - that police is a very cool knife. Bigger than I need everyday, but cool nonetheless.

telestratosonic likes this.
  14. telestratosonic

4BEAF8B3-6CCF-4066-ADA8-30895EB64B06.jpeg B225592E-8196-47E3-B4CF-251C87274D38.jpeg B1E340A4-9871-44E5-8026-EB018F569BB7.jpeg Sometimes my KA-BAR.
    I made the leather sheath so that the knife rides high, covered by my untucked shirt.

Dano-caster and ukepicker like this.
  15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I like your style!
    I hadn't seen the Yeoman. I really like the little additional tools, especially the pen and pin in the plus scales. Three layers - how does that carry in your pocket?

I can see I'll be buying more SAKs in the near future.

I'm getting me and boys some of those firefly firesteels to carry in ours, too. Not that I ever expect to need to start a fire, but you never know.

telestratosonic and Bruxist like this.
  16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

My Swiss army knife, the fisherman model I think. I was given it over forty years ago by my uncle before he passed away and he had had it a while so I dont know the age. It still has original tweezers and tooth pick

EDIT, just been looking round the interweb and find it was made between 1961 and 1962 20201201_183819.jpg

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What with more twist tops on wine bottles, I don't need to carry a Swiss Army knife anymore.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

That one's on my radar! Lots of useful stuff in a small, lightweight package.

19. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I don’t even know what I have. I’d have to go rooting around and round them up.
    So I did.
    Okay:
    Deluxe Tinker
    Midnight MiniChamp
    Signature
    Classic Purple
    Classic Pink

6D860C35-6839-4C5E-A157-02C9BBCFB834.jpeg

telestratosonic and ukepicker like this.
  20. telestratosonic

I always go for the twist tops.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.