1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone carry a swiss army knife? (pics appreciated)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I just ordered one.

The thing that really sent me over the edge was my most recent viewing of Cast Away (with Tom Hanks). As you may recall, he had one (probably a tourist) on his keychain, but left it with Helen Hunt while he was on the island.

Anyway, I chose the Climber for my first time out.

I also really like the Spartan and Compact. But I'm not sure if I'll prefer scissors or a second small blade. So I got the climber because it has both. I'll see which one I use, then downsize accordingly. (After playing $100+ for one-trick-pony pocketknives for years, these things seem cheap!)

I also ordered a couple of Hikers for my two boys' stockings. I think they'll both find the woodsaw useful.

I'm hoping it will replace my $250 Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and the prybar/bottle opener I usually carry. I'm trying to simply/consolidate (plus the PM2's pocketclip scratched the leather seats in my new (to me) car and I'm not having any more of that).

Anybody else regularly carry a SAK? What's your favorite/most used model? How do you carry it?

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Nope.

They don’t do what I want them to do...but I’m happy for people who get good use of them.

stepvan and ukepicker like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Yes, in my tackle box. :)

4. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

I’m a big fan of the smaller Swiss Army knives, mine currently is the model with a bottle opener/phillips head/ wirestripper, rather than the tiny scissors. It handles what I need a knife or multi tool for most of the time and it’s small enough not to take up too much real estate in my pocket.

Otherwise, and when I’m working outside, a larger single blade with a one handed opening function fits the bill.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I have one but, although I'd like to think of myself as an adventurer, I find it handiest by the sofa, where I can use the scissors to trim my nails and the toothpick after nibbling on snacks.

Other uses? Opening parcels. That's about it.

I don't plan on being shipwrecked, so I'm ok there.

I used to carry it around in my man bag until I looked up the law and found out that, in the UK, although a SAK is legal, it's only legal until the police determine otherwise.

6. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Spyderco and ESEE knives for me.

Mjea80, telestratosonic and ukepicker like this.
  7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I’ve found a Gerber or Leatherman to be much more useful multi-tool. But I fly too much to really be able to carry one regularly.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ve carried this ‘70’s era Boy Scout knife every day for the last several years. I was not a Boy Scout.
    I found it at a goodwill for $3.00.
    It’s been an outstanding farm implement. D682247D-55D4-4033-AF5F-850FC148CEEB.jpeg

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I always carry the little $12-14 one. Probably the handiest tool I've ever had. You dont even know it's in your pocket. Scissors, toothpick, tiny tweezers, file, the little blade is sharp and very strong non bendable.
    Scissors along with the file work great at the gig when you break a nail . The blade is thin and springy and the best thing I've found to start that fret out of the fretboard when doing a refret. Lifts it up enough to get the removal tool under.
    ONLY genuine Swiss Army for good steel.
    https://www.rei.com/product/403028/swiss-army-classic-knife

driver8, ukepicker and Rattfink like this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you bought one that comes with a case the case has belt loops and if you are wandering around the country put it on your belt. Mine mostly stay in the storage compartment of the driver’s side door of my car. When I go fishing I put it on my belt.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    ukepicker likes this.
  11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Three dollars for a Boy Scout Knife is an awesome price. Mine is probably still with my Scout Gear says the Eagle Scout.

Blister and 985plowboy like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

image.jpg image.jpg I carry this, in modified Leatherman Supertool holster.
    I also carry a Leatherman Supertool.
    I have two other Swiss Army knives, one’s in my guitar repair tool kit, and the other lives in my avatar guitar gig bag.
    Brilliant, indispensable stuff, IMO!

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Leatherman (and most likely my 4" locking pocket knife). I don't go out the door without it on my belt.

14. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

ECC14738-3DF4-4931-AB8B-12FF0E953B3B.jpeg

15. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

You oughta see the Swiss Army trucks.

16. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My main squeeze is the yeoman:

[​IMG]

It has the best combination (for me) of useful tools and compact size (this one is 3 layers thick; more than 4 kind of defeats the purpose for me). It's typically on my hip or in my pocket, and never out of arm's reach.

I also carry this one on my keychain...

[​IMG]

...in part for redundancy ("Two is one; one is none") and in part because the smaller tools are often useful, and it barely costs anything in terms of size and weight.

Finally, I keep this one in my tool box:

[​IMG]

17. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Not allowed to carry in the UK over a certain (small) size. If I was, I'd probably go for a fixed blade anyway, I'm so klutzy I'd been slicing my fingers all the time with a folder.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I was leaning towards manbag at first. But that becomes a fashion statement here in Texas - and it usually isn't smiled upon. Bummer. I think I could make great use of one!

What's yours? How big is it? Why are you worried about the police - are you worried they will stop and search you?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Looks like my first knife! Also 70s era scout knife.
    When I was a dumb kid, I left it in my tacklebox (along with a package of hotdogs) and when I opened it back up weeks later, the whole box was full of maggots. I threw everything away - including the knife.
    I've kicked myself for decades over that.

985plowboy likes this.
  20. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I nearly forgot, I do have this one, received as a gift many years ago... IMG_5221.jpeg IMG_5222.jpeg IMG_5223.jpeg

Blister and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.