Anyone buy any supro pedal recently?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a supro tremolo last year, late summer, I think. I haven't received it yet. The ETA just got pushed again, to mid april. I'm just curious if anyone's gotten any pedals out of them recently.

I think there's a 50% chance I'm going to plug it in, it won't do what I want, and send it right back.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I had a Supro Fuzz last year some time - it was fine, tried to blend a Fuzz Face, Tone Bender and Muff and while it didn't sound bad, it just didn't work for me.

The pedals seem solid, a tad pricey, but I don't see them used a lot....I think the fuzz I sold sat at the store where I traded it for a few months before someone picked it up.

Probably bettery off finding one used and then flipping if you don't like it.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a Supro Fuzz last year some time - it was fine, tried to blend a Fuzz Face, Tone Bender and Muff and while it didn't sound bad, it just didn't work for me.

The pedals seem solid, a tad pricey, but I don't see them used a lot....I think the fuzz I sold sat at the store where I traded it for a few months before someone picked it up.

Probably bettery off finding one used and then flipping if you don't like it.

I've already bought it, and the retailer will let me return it if I don't like it, so no need to flip it. Now supro just has to make it.

It seemed like lots of people were using supro pedals in the past few years, so I thought surely someone here has ordered one in the last 6 months. I'm just wondering how general or specific the supply chain issue is. I know there's a transformer in this pedal, so maybe they're waiting on that, or maybe they've got an in-house clog.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm so confused by their description of the transformer as an "output," since in my mind, output transformers are components that transform high-voltage, low-current waveforms into low-V, high-I waveforms.

Not that I'm claiming there's no transformer in the pedal, just that I'm not clear on the transformer's function in the circuit. I suppose if I really want to know I should get one and crack it open.

I already have 5 tremolo pedals, what's one more?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm so confused by their description of the transformer as an "output," since in my mind, output transformers are components that transform high-voltage, low-current waveforms into low-V, high-I waveforms.

Not that I'm claiming there's no transformer in the pedal, just that I'm not clear on the transformer's function in the circuit. I suppose if I really want to know I should get one and crack it open.

I already have 5 tremolo pedals, what's one more?

I assume it's being used in a similar way as in a mic preamp. I don't understand the circuit, but there are two transformer stages in one of my mic preamps, and the second stage can be saturated to provide distortion. If the supro trem can do that it's a nice extra trick, but all I really want is that the tremolo effect is squashed by large input signals, like the attack of a note or chord. Like tube trem in an amp. It claims to, but I've never heard a pedal do it, which is why I don't like tremolo pedals. If it can do it, it makes a lot more amps appealing to me. If not, it goes back.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Still no pedal from supro. The eta is pushed to next month (every month). Has anyone bought a supro pedal since 2021?

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I bought the delay last year. It's nice. Could use modulation, but it's a quality sound. Thin on the ground, though.

mretrain99

TDPRI Member
No experience with Supro pedals, but I did play through a new Supro amp (I don’t remember the model, but it was a decent size amp, wbout the size of a Deluxe Reverb) when I was trying out a guitar. I turned on the tremolo and it was very subtle and shallow, barely perceptible even with the depth cranked. Maybe I did something wrong, like plugging into the wrong input or something, or maybe the amp was defective or had a bad tube, but the tremolo was completely underwhelming.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
No experience with Supro pedals, but I did play through a new Supro amp (I don’t remember the model, but it was a decent size amp, wbout the size of a Deluxe Reverb) when I was trying out a guitar. I turned on the tremolo and it was very subtle and shallow, barely perceptible even with the depth cranked. Maybe I did something wrong, like plugging into the wrong input or something, or maybe the amp was defective or had a bad tube, but the tremolo was completely underwhelming.

I believe their amp tremolos are tube based, which is great, but means they won't have much in common with the pedal.
Tube based is great because it can probably be adjusted by changing a part, and because it has the potential to do The Thing that I can't seem to get pedal tremolos (or voxes or deluxes) to do.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
@mretrain99 I can't find any schematics for the new Supros but yes, I'd say that your experience of subtle, shallow, underwhelming tremolo sounds like a tube bias-vary tremolo where the tubes whose bias is being varied (Vibro-Champs et al. vary a 12AX7's bias, Princeton Reverbs et al. vary the pair of 6V6's bias) are biased too "cold" or "hot". (how many times can I type bias in one sentence?)

goodguy

Tele-Meister
Wanted to like Supro but they overprice the product then discount when nobody buys. Too many models of amps - too confusing so I just don’t consider buying any more. Was initially excited about Supro but am now just turned off by them.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Too many? They stopped making the 1x15" combo. I only saw 6 amps on their website, head/combo non/reverb differences excluded.

What are you confused by?

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I bought the trem new fron Reverb about a ye ago. Its easily the best trem I've ever played.

I used to have a Victoria Reverberato and that came with a harmonic tremolo and I prefer this pedal.

I hope you get yours soon!