1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone built a stage monitor?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by nickg21285, Apr 20, 2011.

1. nickg21285

nickg21285 Tele-Meister

No sure if this is the right place to post it - but I kinda thought it was amp related.

I have a spare 12" speaker laying around and wondered if it would be any good to be used in a stage monitor - the wedge type. It's a Hayden vintage, not really familiar with these speakers to be honest, I acquired it in a trade recently.

If the speaker is ok for monitoring - how would I go about building a monitor? Anything I need to be aware of?

2. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I did not build one, but I did own a couple of homemade cabinets. They had 12" Celestions with 12" Hepner horns, and they rocked. One did have a blown horn, so I took it in for repairs and forgot about it till 3 years later. The company had sold it to someone for the repair bill. The other cabinet was so strong I used it as an extra speaker for a twin reverb. They cab could hurt you. Honestly - the highs were piercing.

There's got to plans for a good 12" wedge monitor somewhere on the Web. I'll look real quick.

http://www.livesoundint.com/archives/2004/march/workshop.pdf

http://www.parts-express.com//projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Smithereens

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Monitors come in a few shapes and sizes. They also come in different performance capabilities, so for a not very helpful answer to your question, it all depends.

Stage monitors are relatively small in volume, as small as you can get away with for the speaker size. I am assuming to be used mainly for vocals so an extended low end is not desired. The thing about speakers that are not designed for small cabinets is that they end up with a hump in the bass region that they do reproduce. Might not be a problem if you could equalize it out. Another issue is the efficiency. Are the speakers loud enough for your stage level? That also depends if you are doing an acoustic set or playing metal. The other thing you need is a midrange/high end driver to match the 12". What is also important is a smooth midrange to reduce the chance of feedback.

Had a couple of speakers that I turned into monitors way back, different quality speakers resulted in different performance levels. That is life. The so-so speakers I started out with were not great, but sure a lot better than nothing. Other than a bit of wood what have you got to loose?

4. nickg21285

nickg21285 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, and those plans could come in useful. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

5. M Fowler

M Fowler TDPRI Member

Monitor

Yes I have built a few.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.