anyone bought a GFS basics body before? i have ordered one

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ben smith, Sep 11, 2019.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Yep, that's the one.

Flashy. :)

ben smith likes this.
  2. POS Guitars

POS Guitars TDPRI Member

From what I saw, it’s a totally serviceable body. You should be able to buff the paint to a B+.

ben smith likes this.
  3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

good enough thanks man

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

They are not bad considering the price. I summarily destroyed both guitars paint jobs by cracking them with dry ice. I’m hard on finishes anyway so ‘first dent’ theory applies. The Red one was a blem (last one they had) so I REALLY didn’t care about that one.

ben smith likes this.
  5. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

yeah should look really classy, to me anyway.

6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

dry ice? to relic them you mean? i can see how that would work yeah. i'm a perfectionist though, i look for flawless, the paint job i did on my thinline was flawless but then i played the hell out of it with the bass picks i used and scratched the hell out of it! but i don't mind if it's my ware done naturally

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

It's bold. That's why I like it.

EDIT: This is one thing I love about Fender-style guitars. You can assemble one from parts with no special tools or skills, selecting each and every piece to make the guitar exactly what you want.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Rev Rhythm and ben smith like this.
  8. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

don't know if anyone will see this but, i am going to drill a hole in the neck pocket to adjust the truss rod on my neck as it is a heel adjust rod, it makes complete sense to me, does it you?

Skydog1010, Jim_in_PA and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Kinda a normal thing for heel adjust truss rods based on multiple drawings I have found...

[​IMG]

ben smith likes this.
  10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have used both, and both GFS no name & XGP work well. A few years back I bought a few of those rejects they buy by the dump truck load, now this bodies require more work than if I had cut down my own tree.

I could post tons of pictures but what's the point, all the builds were sold off to customers.
    I am currently working with three XGP blanks and plan on keeping the finished projects this time. I had an aggressive project timeline when I started these three but have slowed that down considerably and will continue to carefully research components and their installation as I slowly proceed. IMG_20190812_123452.jpg IMG_20190812_152046.jpg

11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

looks like you got your work cut out there. natural on all of them then? what stains/oils do you prefer?

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

yeah ill go ahead with it. thanks

13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I bought a GFS Paulownia tele and strat body (matching colors) as a science project to find out what these bodies would sound like. The build needed to be "adjusted" as some things didn't line up perfectly. The finish is hard to help protect the wood because it is similar to balsa wood. Once you install screws, it is best to leave them alone. The most obvious is the string-thru holes are not in line.

All of that said, the telecaster sounds magnificent and will stand up and perform with the best teles out there, comparable to my higher end tele builds. I used a Edenhaus maple neck, Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker in the neck and Antiquity tele bridge pickup and a Wilkinson bridge. Every time I play this guitar, I question how could I ever sell it.
    IMG_1508.JPG IMG_1512.JPG

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Historically, their cheap bodies range from perfect to so flawed they’re best used as firewood. Watch out for the fumes of burning paint!

My speculation: This batch was stopped before final detailing and buffing. I speculate that it’s the last batch of bodies that GFS will buy from that vendor.

ben smith likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I haven't bought one of their "basic" line but I bought this travel guitar body from their closeout section to pair with a 70's Epiphone acoustic neck. It came out good, after refinishing and a little work to get things to fit and line up right.

20190508_175930.jpg

ben smith and rangercaster like this.
  16. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

that sure looks sweet! a bit alarming that the ferrule holes are not in line!? fingers crossed. thanks for your input

JeffBlue likes this.
  17. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

hmmm interesting! i live in sweden i hope i don't end up having to pay shipping back to them because that just wont be worth my while. firewood? hahaha damn that don't sound good, i have a feeling i was too hasty, i wanted this tele to be good

18. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

never seen anything like that before cool!

19. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Thank you kind sir. The string ferrules don't bother me too much when I plug in the guitar and play.

ben smith likes this.
  20. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I would not recommend any GFS product made of wood.

You can get a much better product for less money from other brands, so there is not a lot of need to buy from them (for most people).

ben smith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.