1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone blow 1 power tube on15w monoprice??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mrloshaw, Jul 16, 2020.

1. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I recently bought a used 15w monoprice stage right tube amp with one busted tube, I just ordered a matched pair of JJ-EL84 so I have 1 of the original tubes left over if anyone needs or knows anyone that needs one of these (I had no luck with contacting monoprice, that's why I bought the new pair) If this helps anyone, please feel free to contact me and I'll help you out. 15949288197283191873035769847981.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

So far, so good.

mrloshaw likes this.
  3. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Did you buy right from monoprice? I got a hell of a deal, 60 Canadian Loonies.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don’t like to talk about that period of my life.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

No, I paid too much for it on Amazon. But 100 yrs from now I won't know the difference.

Telecaster88 and stepvan like this.
  6. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Did I mention it's free,

Torren61 likes this.
  7. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

I'm looking at the 5 watt monoprice, how do you rate yours for sound?

8. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I love it, I've watched shootouts with blues Jr, and it was nearly identical. Have you youtube'd it? There are lots of videos on it.

9. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

The el84s in my bought new 15 watt MP developed a nasty case of tube rattle after very little use. The stock tubes are crap. No big deal. JJ replacements took care of the problem for under $30. And a quality old stock 12ax7 in the v1 position improved the tone.

I would buy this amp again. Very versatile range of tones and a decent spring reverb. Mine gets more use than my Princeton '68 custom RI. It has a better speaker than the Princeton too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Why don't you keep it as a spare?
    you never know what's gonna happen in shipping with the next matched set.

like a spare tyre, better to have a half flat one then hobble along on three :D

11. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

I suppose you're right, I just thought I'd someone needed one I'd help them out, I can't help it, it's the Canadian in me :)

Timmay, Torren61, tubegeek and 3 others like this.
  12. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Can you recommend a good preamp tube to buy to put in the 1st position?

13. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

My sound card and speakers suck. Can't really hear what they truly sound like. Thanks for your response.

14. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

I can't make a recommendation. New production tubes are hit and miss. I tried a Sovtek 12ax7LPS that I had in an audio amp. It sounded great in the audio amp but was very noisy in the guitar amp. So I swapped in and older Groove Tube and it quieted down.

BTW, I have to take back what I said about the new JJs. They are very microphonic and sound as hissy as the stock tubes. I just put in a set of new production Mullards that I had in my stash and and that seems to have taken care of it.

I had two new JJ rectifier tubes fail in an old Epiphone amp that I was working on. I put in an old, used one and it's running fine. I think I'm done with JJs. NOS is the way to go but they are pricey.

mrloshaw likes this.
  15. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

In my opinion and most others on YouTube, you absolutely can't beat the price, you won't find another tube amp cheaper, these are the newer models, the 1st round of tube amps they did were horrible and dangerous to be honest but people complained and that actually listened and fixed the problems. I'd say get it, swap the tubes if you want a change but stock they sound pretty damn good. I have the 15w for messing around and I ordered a positive grid spark amp for all the fancy stuff. These Amps are great overall, are they the best quality wood and custom handcrafted pieces of art, no. Do they sound almost identical to an amp of a "better" name brand at 1/3 the price, absolutely. Chinese products get a bad wrap because they're "cheap" the only reason they're so inexpensive is the low labour cost, this same exact amp made in ' Merica would be $350 so don't let the country of origin throw you off. Like I said I watched countless shootouts with my 15w against fender and Laney Cub and you can't really tell the difference, I imagine it'll be the same with the 5w, does the 5w come with reverb? If not I'd spend the extra $$ and go with the 15, it also has a 1w setting. I used to be a name brand snob, not anymore, many $$$ later

16. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Aren't you supposed to include an apology with that?

Alamo and Torren61 like this.
  17. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Yes sir, I am sorry eh, it was my fault and I take full responsibility for my actions. Now please accept this poutine and complimentary maple syrup.

Timmay, Alamo, Torren61 and 1 other person like this.
  18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Well, if there's SYRUP, I guess....

Torren61 and mrloshaw like this.
  19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Any NOS, or used, US, UK, or EU 12AX7 tube will improve things in V1. You don't need to spend a fortune, with the good values being short plate GE, Sylvania, and rebranded versions of those. If the tone gets a bit cleaner than you want, rotate the gain control clockwise. I've had many good purchases from these folks.

kcanostubes.com
    audiotubes.com

mrloshaw likes this.
  20. Timmay

Timmay Tele-Meister

I really like the TAD EL84 STR's. Nice sounding tubes, and build quality seems robust. JJ 5751's in the preamp and an Eminence GB128 speaker. This little amp rocks. Like a little JCM 800.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.