Anyone back into vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by twangquest, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

2. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

The Greatest!

[​IMG]

3. LHRick

LHRick TDPRI Member

Kept all my vinyl dating back to the late 60's. Stopped playing them in the early 90's when my old Pioneer system finally died, but recently picked up a rebuilt Onkyo turntable and started playing them again. Had to buy a turntable pre-amp, since my "newer" stereo system didn't come with one! Anyway, forgot how good vinyl sounded; lovin' it!

4. boldaslove71

boldaslove71 Tele-Meister

It's in my sights. I lost all of my vinyl when my moms basement flooded years ago. I did recently pick up a 1961 Magnavox Console TUBE Stereo with a Garrard turntable. I ditched the internal speakers and run it through my Vandersteen speakers.

I come from a big Irish Catholic Family (surprise, surprise), so I have aunts and uncles that were in their teens that I recall as a lad playing Zep IV, Floyd, Beatles, etc on the old mans console stereo.

The console matches the interior of my 1929 house, so the wife is happy. $135 on CL. Mine is a Magnavox Philharmonic, which was high end in its day.

I am ready to start repurchasing all of my favorite vinyl from my youth. I got a kick out of comment regarding the doubage cleaning using the record jacket. Ahh those were the days.

5. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Call me old fashioned if you like, but the best music I've ever heard on any hifi system was played on a late 80's Linn Sondek, Naim pre and power amps and sadly I can't remember what brand of speakers!

But the Linn has to be one of the best, if not THE best, turntables of all time.

6. TeleTramp

TeleTramp Tele-Meister

Got back into it about 3 years ago when Record Store Day started picking up steam. Lots of artists from all walks of life release special releases on RSD. They now have a "Black Friday" RSD as well. A lot of the stuff is limited run/colored vinyl. I now make regular trips to the 2 local shops. You end up making new friends and hearing lot of music that you might not normally have heard. The CD will be gone in a few years, vinyl will still be here.

7. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

I've never bought a download. I'd say 90% of my music purchases have been vinyl for the last 6+ years. I've actually starting buying CDs again over the last few weeks, albeit used from the local mom'n pop shops. Great deals as discs are on their way out. There's a lot of great vinyl reissues out from great companies like A Light in the Attic Records.

8. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Nothing ever changed for me. Although I like CD's, I always listened to vinyl the most.

9. teleflyer

teleflyer Tele-Meister

absolutely..

in fact, the renaissance of the LP, vinyl, may in fact save our music industry..

I like it when I see that new records now are sold as LPs and have the CD or a download code with them..

If I want to enjoy music at the highest level I play an LP...

for driving in my car, I like the i-pod and like to have the digital source too..

but for an evening of wonderful music at home, I start the turntable..

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  10. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

I'm not a fan of vinyl but recognize that about 90% of the stuff that came out on vinyl never made it to CD, and there's simply not going to be any other way to listen to it.

Same thing is happening with the jump from CD to downloads - about 90% of what got released on CD isn't worth it for a label to reissue as a download.

If you like history keep your decks and your CD players. And your VHS - I just grabbed one of those from my company during our move, it's in NIB condition. There's a lot of stuff out there on VHS you'll never find on DVD.

11. robhisgtr

robhisgtr Tele-Meister

Back into it? I never left it...

12. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

yes!

13. ctte2112

ctte2112 Tele-Holic

That's the only way I buy music.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The market is growing for vinyl. One thing about vinyl - certain albums can become collectors items over time, largely because they're on vinyl and there are people out there who are as serious about collecting "records" as many of us are about guitars or whatever. My first band's album is a collectors item (sells for $700 on Ebay these days). Partly it's because there are people who dig the music, but it's also largely because it was a limited pressing and collectors know it. That doesn't help my bank account any, but it's kind of a cool little legacy to have for a band that no one ever heard of.

Putting it out on vinyl makes it seem a little more "rare" or special. CD's are virtually worthless, because any ass clown can make one in their bedroom on their computer.

I think the way to go now is to release on vinyl, but then inside the record have a "free" CD. Some people are doing that now. That way, even if you don't have a record player, you can still buy it.

15. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

With the general public primarily using mp3s or streaming/satellite radio, I think that vinyl is getting more popular because when someone does love a song or album enough to want a physical copy to keep and display, vinyl is much more cool and interesting.

16. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Hooked up a turntable a few weeks ago. Been buying vinyl like it's going out of style. Also getting tons of records from parents and in-laws. Lovin' it.

17. TheOneFatGuy

TheOneFatGuy Tele-Afflicted

As I type, I'm listening to Bat Outta Hell on vinyl. I've been listening to vinyl for three weeks, and already, my vinyl collection is larger than my CD collection ever was.

18. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

When a band I like offers the vinyl I usually buy it and the cd. While I have bought a few song downloads I have never bought a whole album that way.

19. twangquest

twangquest Tele-Meister

Ok, so how bout a guy looking to get a new "audiophile" turntable and tube system? What would anyone suggest? Or should I continue to look for old school systems?

20. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

I just pulled out some Fabulous Thunder Birds and BlackHawks records from the 70's and 80's all in great condition. Love that sound. twangquest, I think the first thing you need is a quality turn table with a new needle. After that a good play back system. I see turn tables every now and then at garage and estate sales, look around their cheap these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.