1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone agree that the AV and AO fretboards are OVER-rolled?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Mar 15, 2018.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

2a.jpg
    Man hands?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Clifton C and MilwMark like this.
  2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My 2015(I think) AV58 has the D neck and rolled edges.

When I switch from some of my other guitars with more of a modern C or soft V that might not be as rolled.

I kind of have watch the high E string a bit at first. But, not a deal breaker. A slight technique adjustment. It's a great guitar.

I'm not sure. But, couldn't most any profile be "over" rolled? Probably a personal preference.

3. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Good point. The fret rounding/beveling is what affects playability. So that’s a more technically accurate description of the problem.

mschafft likes this.
  4. SFRanger

SFRanger TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2020 Update: My 50's Tele had compensated Saddles by StewMac (1st Set-up recommended by Tech). Unlike some others, they notch the saddles so the strings have zero movement and the 1 & 6 strings are very close to the fret end. Luckily, I had my original saddles and did my own set-up when I put them back on last night.

Got everything done. Hooked-up to tuner and moved the strings on the saddles so I have better alignment and adjusted intonation. Problem solved. Sometimes if you look online hard enough, you'll find the answer with a how-to video.

My tech made the suggestion because compensated saddles worked fine on his Tele. (Different model). Don't blame him. The other compensated saddles may work better; the ones that just flatten the saddle tops. My original do fine though!

BTW: My luthier did great work on other guitars and a new nut on this Tele. I like my nut a little higher than the stock spec. Hope this post helps!

5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Agree, I have a 2001 and it is perfect. The neck is not skinny or narrow either..

RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Yes I agree. I played a 2009 AVRI and I have a 2011 Hot Rod 52 AVRI. The difference between those guitars and the post 2012 AV's is significant. I much prefer the playable fret real estate on the older models.

That said, its also somewhat model dependent. The AO 60's Tele for example does not suffer from excessive roll/bevel. It's just about perfect to my taste.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know that 1 5/8 on the one hand, and 42mm or 1.65" on the other, are different measurements, right?

I checked once and my hands are larger than Aaron Rodgers' as measured by the NFL He's got big old mitts. Once I got over the mental hurdle (I "need" 1 11/16) I can play just fine on 1 5/8 - a dreaded vintage 7 1/4 radius neck rolled by time and fret work over 50 years hard use.

I've played with plenty of mando players who are construction or dock workers in their day jobs (why is that?). Huge, strong mitts. No problem dancing on the mandolin neck.

Free the mind, free the hands. Or something like that.

@FredDairy - how did they play those "terrible" vintage guitar with the string hanging OFF the neck at some points. Oh, the humanity.

8. FredDairy

People complained about the older reissues not being totally vintage correct. Fender finally does it with the 2012-2017 reissues and everyone complains about the strings falling off the fret boards!

There's a post over at strat-talk talking about the early reissues and I'm quoting John C "Yes - so much hand work back then that I'm sure there was some variance ranging between 1 21/32" and 1 11/16"; I don't think I've seen any Fullerton come in at 1 5/8" (or 1.650" for that matter); that seems to have come in after they had been made in Corona for a while. The specific neck Dave put on the Black Strat was off of a vintage white AVRI '57; it just happened to be 1 43/64 so that's what they are copying for the CS Signature Strat."

MilwMark likes this.
  9. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

I have an AO 50s telecaster and it isn't a problem for me. The high E is a little closer to the edge than what I am used to but not so much that i can't adjust my playing to avoid dragging the string off the fretboard. I do frequent bends on this string with no issues to speak of.

Clifton C likes this.
  10. charlesypsi

charlesypsi TDPRI Member

My theory is that it is not rolled fret edges that are the problem, but a wider bridge. I first noticed the high E falling off the fretboard when I had a 2010 Telecaster Special. The tech I work with measured the bridge and found that it was (I think) 1/16 wider that the American Standard 6 saddle bridge. It appears that Fender paired the 3 saddle bridge for the Special with the same neck that was designed for the 6 saddle bridge. I ended up selling that Tele and now have an American Pro, with the 3 saddle. But the high string is very close to the edge on that one, too. Recently, I played a two humbucker Tele Pro with the six saddle bridge and had no problem with the high E falling off. So it seems like it may be a slight bridge/neck mismatch.

11. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Yes, the "modern" string spacing on American Standards/American Professionals is slightly narrower compared to vintage bridges and this helps keep the strings away from the string edges. I think the combination of vintage bridge + heavily rolled/filed fret ends is where some of these AV and AO's run into problems in playability. In my experience, the rosewood AO's do not have the excessive roll/filing and are supremely playable - and I expect this is more reflective of how a true vintage instrument would have been built. Why Fender chooses to take so much off the fret ends of the maple boards, I have no clue.

charlesypsi likes this.
  12. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been having similar issues regarding the E strings being too close to the edge. I've been having the same issues and I have to ask:

If you adjust the string spacing (via saddles and/or nut) that means the strings will be a little away from the pole pieces. How much will this affect the sound?

Clifton C likes this.
  13. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

My wife bought me an AO 50s Tele last year for my birthday. The neck feels absolutely great! I usually prefer vintage radius on my necks, but this one feels really good. To whatever degree the neck is rolled, it feels just right. And the thicker neck it has seems a little more resonant than a thinner neck. I'm wondering if the roll on the neck makes it feel closer to a vintage radius to me.

14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Little to none with my ears anyway.

15. FredDairy

More to add to this relating to the stance I've taken throughout:

I saw a video of Hank Marvin on youtube last week and we was discussing his signature Strat which he asked for a wider fret board to compensate for the vintage boards that he used to knock the strings off the edges of every so often.

It's just the way a old maple neck Fender is supposed to be.

16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2017 52 RI Tele, a 2013 64RI Tele and a 2019 AO Jazzmaster. The 52 to has by far and away the most edge rolling. The 64RI and the JM don't have, to me, noticeably rolled fretboards. The internet aside, I wonder if this had become more of an issue with the wide spread use of lighter gauge strings. Much easier to pull or push a set of 9s off the fretboard, than say 11s or 12s.

For the record, I love the neck on the 52, but wish there was a tad more off an edge for both E strings.

mimmo likes this.
  17. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I'm thinking about buying aftermarket saddles that I can slot (and intonate) myself. I want to make slots that will bring the E strings further in, but the strings will miss-align with the pole pieces a bit, that's why I asked. The High E will also be on an angle as it enters the saddle from the string hole. I hope none of these things will be a problem.

Mine's a 2019 50's AO surprise surprise, but the neck is not too bad actually, I've played worse. I knew this would be a slight problem before I bought it but I went for tone over playability. I've been testing it, practicing tapping and fast chord changes, I'm able to do everything but it's always in the back of my mind that the strings might slip, and that's the annoying part, more so than the string actually slipping! Fast chord changes is it's worst enemy.

18. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree on the thicker strings: I use .11 and never have problems with my 52

19. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Skinny? You must be kidding, my ‘03 is far from skinny, with a slightly rolled edge. I’m sure you’ve read “ The Blackguard” and have actually measured the neck, the word I would choose would be “accurate” for a ‘52, far from skinny. I also own an American Original and I agree that the neck is slightly fatter and over-rolled, but I still like it.

20. TheMaxx

TheMaxx TDPRI Member

Any of you guys have compared the new Broadcaster 70th anniversary model with the post 2012 AV52?...
    Just tried the Broadcaster this morning and slipped both E’s off the board a few times so was wondering if the previous AV52’s had a lesser, equal or bigger rolled to it?

logans_tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.