Anyone agree that the AV and AO fretboards are OVER-rolled?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Mar 15, 2018.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

2a.jpg
    Man hands?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    MilwMark likes this.
  2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My 2015(I think) AV58 has the D neck and rolled edges.

When I switch from some of my other guitars with more of a modern C or soft V that might not be as rolled.

I kind of have watch the high E string a bit at first. But, not a deal breaker. A slight technique adjustment. It's a great guitar.

I'm not sure. But, couldn't most any profile be "over" rolled? Probably a personal preference.

3. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Good point. The fret rounding/beveling is what affects playability. So that’s a more technically accurate description of the problem.

mschafft likes this.
  4. SFRanger

SFRanger TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2020 Update: My 50's Tele had compensated Saddles by StewMac (1st Set-up recommended by Tech). Unlike some others, they notch the saddles so the strings have zero movement and the 1 & 6 strings are very close to the fret end. Luckily, I had my original saddles and did my own set-up when I put them back on last night.

Got everything done. Hooked-up to tuner and moved the strings on the saddles so I have better alignment and adjusted intonation. Problem solved. Sometimes if you look online hard enough, you'll find the answer with a how-to video.

My tech made the suggestion because compensated saddles worked fine on his Tele. (Different model). Don't blame him. The other compensated saddles may work better; the ones that just flatten the saddle tops. My original do fine though!

BTW: My luthier did great work on other guitars and a new nut on this Tele. I like my nut a little higher than the stock spec. Hope this post helps!

5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

Agree, I have a 2001 and it is perfect. The neck is not skinny or narrow either..

RadioFM74 likes this.
  6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Yes I agree. I played a 2009 AVRI and I have a 2011 Hot Rod 52 AVRI. The difference between those guitars and the post 2012 AV's is significant. I much prefer the playable fret real estate on the older models.

That said, its also somewhat model dependent. The AO 60's Tele for example does not suffer from excessive roll/bevel. It's just about perfect to my taste.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know that 1 5/8 on the one hand, and 42mm or 1.65" on the other, are different measurements, right?

I checked once and my hands are larger than Aaron Rodgers' as measured by the NFL He's got big old mitts. Once I got over the mental hurdle (I "need" 1 11/16) I can play just fine on 1 5/8 - a dreaded vintage 7 1/4 radius neck rolled by time and fret work over 50 years hard use.

I've played with plenty of mando players who are construction or dock workers in their day jobs (why is that?). Huge, strong mitts. No problem dancing on the mandolin neck.

Free the mind, free the hands. Or something like that.

@FredDairy - how did they play those "terrible" vintage guitar with the string hanging OFF the neck at some points. Oh, the humanity.

8. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

People complained about the older reissues not being totally vintage correct. Fender finally does it with the 2012-2017 reissues and everyone complains about the strings falling off the fret boards!

There's a post over at strat-talk talking about the early reissues and I'm quoting John C "Yes - so much hand work back then that I'm sure there was some variance ranging between 1 21/32" and 1 11/16"; I don't think I've seen any Fullerton come in at 1 5/8" (or 1.650" for that matter); that seems to have come in after they had been made in Corona for a while. The specific neck Dave put on the Black Strat was off of a vintage white AVRI '57; it just happened to be 1 43/64 so that's what they are copying for the CS Signature Strat."

MilwMark likes this.
  9. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

I have an AO 50s telecaster and it isn't a problem for me. The high E is a little closer to the edge than what I am used to but not so much that i can't adjust my playing to avoid dragging the string off the fretboard. I do frequent bends on this string with no issues to speak of.

10. charlesypsi

charlesypsi TDPRI Member

My theory is that it is not rolled fret edges that are the problem, but a wider bridge. I first noticed the high E falling off the fretboard when I had a 2010 Telecaster Special. The tech I work with measured the bridge and found that it was (I think) 1/16 wider that the American Standard 6 saddle bridge. It appears that Fender paired the 3 saddle bridge for the Special with the same neck that was designed for the 6 saddle bridge. I ended up selling that Tele and now have an American Pro, with the 3 saddle. But the high string is very close to the edge on that one, too. Recently, I played a two humbucker Tele Pro with the six saddle bridge and had no problem with the high E falling off. So it seems like it may be a slight bridge/neck mismatch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.