1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone agree that the AV and AO fretboards are OVER-rolled?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Mar 15, 2018.

1. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

I've tried several of these guitars and the fretboard edges are so rolled that doing much vibrato or otherwise imprecise fretting around the 15th fret or higher just makes the string slip right off the edge. I know setup can affect this (neck pocket, etc.), but having played a lot of telecasters I have to say the recent AV and AO guitars I've played are just too rolled, period. A shame because I'd buy one in a heartbeat otherwise.

I know the post-2012 AVs got a lot of praise here, but this seems like a pretty big drawback and certainly isn't a "vintage correct" feature I'm sure. Am I the only one that thinks this?

swany and golfnut like this.
  2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I own the thin skin wildwood version of the 52 tele reissue and I agree that the fretboard edges are over rolled. I've had my tech narrow the nut width spacing in a bit and it has helped. I'm still deciding if there is anything else I might be able to do. But the problem has been minimized and I know to be more careful. Vibrato doesn't seem to be an issue. It mostly crops up when I transition quickly up the fretboard to a bar chord and I somehow push the high e off sometimes. Must be unconsciously pushing and pulling down slightly. I love everything else about the guitar (except the sticky neck that seems to grunge up easily) so likely won't be getting rid of it.

swany and logans_tele like this.
  3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I'm on the fence off the fence on this. I have 2 '56 RI Strats that are awesome. I had a few '58 RI Teles that it was an issue. 0
    Now the '64 RI Tele and '65 RI Strat are not as rolled. My '64 RI isn't even what most would consider rolled.

I'm a firm believer that you can adjust. Look at most vintage 50s Strats the strings are CLOSE to the edge.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't play those guitars but have handled and played enough guitars with that excessive bevel on the fret ends to know that trading usable fretboard real estate for a perceived increase in comfort is a bad deal.

Aside from sharp fingerboard edges on cheap guitars, a good player is not impeded or made uncomfortable by edges that don't get the elite edge roll treatment.

IMO it is a marketing ploy that attempts to provide some perceptible difference between a cheap guitar and an expensive guitar; that a novice player can recognize and tell their friends about.

Si G X, hellopike and logans_tele like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It makes a new guitar feel old and I like that.

I do look for ones that have good real estate and alignment because of the rolling.

So when I find one (I found 2), it's a win win.

6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Am I correct in my observation that the "extra rolled" edges were something that started in 2012? I may just hunt for something used pre-2012.

7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

My 2006 AVRI doesn't have a problem with an "over-rolled" edge, so it most likely does have something to do with the year. The edges are just eased over nicely. I really like the way it feels and plays. On a "vintage" type neck with a "vintage" nut spacing, there just isn't a whole lot of fretboard to work with (especially when you start rolling the board's edges over!), so a real good setup becomes more critical.

The other end of the spectrum is the neck on a LP I've got. It's a "traditional" model from 2015 and it has a neck with a bit of extra width. I really like the way that neck plays and feels too!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

logans_tele likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I find it's more about bridge string spacing than neck edges. Some Fenders are just too wide.

Murphcaster likes this.
  9. FredDairy

That won't work for say a '57 RI Strat pre 2012 vs a post 2012 '56 RI Strat. The neck profile is so different. I'd rather have less fret board real estate of the '56 RI then to the way too skinny for me '57 RI neck.

I'm starting to think the '64 RI Tele was the keeper of the 2012-2016 era.

10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Do try a 98-2011 AV52. Fair chunk of a neck, no rolled edges (not noticeable at least), great tele!

swany and logans_tele like this.
  11. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

That's where I'm headed I think. Possibly one of the 2011 hot rod 52's for the flatter radius and larger frets.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Correct, the string spacing is funky too and doesn't jive with the hardware

............but that's how real vintage examples were out the factory so I'm cool with it.

It's not like they don't make 800 other models.

13. RadioFM74

So that said, my impression is that the radius thing is a bit overblown as well as the fretwire thing. To my hands, 7'25'' or 9'5'' are really equally good, and I don't have a problem doing anything with vintage fretwire. I know many more experienced players than I am who do feel the difference and have strong preferences. But IF you haven't yet extensively tried out in first person "vintage specs" (see disclaimer below!!), go try them and you may find that that whole market is also available to you…

DISCLAIMER: I have really no idea what your level of experience with Fender guitars is, so if you are a professional gigging musician who has played 1'500 Fenders from 1949 prototypes to the latest Pros etc, forgive my suggestion (or send me packing at your choosing).

PS: I do dislike very flat boards with speed bumps on 'em though!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    BrandonIke and logans_tele like this.
  14. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

You know its interesting you say that. Over the last couple days I've compared several different new telecasters, some with 7.25 (American Vintage 52) and some 9.5 (American Original 60's Tele and 50's Strat) and honestly I'm not really feeling the difference as far as radii and fretwire goes.

Other than trying guitars out in stores, the only 2 Telecasters I've spent real time gigging with are a 2009 AVRI 52 and a 50's Baja Tele. I liked the way both of those played quite well although they did feel quite different from eachother. One thing they DIDN'T have was excessively rolled fretboard edges like the ones I've been test driving lately (AV and AO, in store).

RadioFM74 likes this.
  15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've got a custom shop 55 strat in coming tomorrow. I'm hoping the fretboard is more like my nocaster. No running out of room on those frets.

logans_tele likes this.
  16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've owned 2 AV52's from the 98 2011 era and both necks were skinny. Didn't like them at all. The hotrod 52 was better with a bit more girth but the post 2012 is the chunkiest almost as big as a nocaster neck. At least my 2017 wildwood thin skin is.
    As well I did play a newer American original 50's that had a very chunky neck.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nope

Clifton C likes this.
  18. RadioFM74

We really have similar experiences it seems. I have a 2011 AV52 and a Baja60s. So: vintage radius+fretwire vs 9'5'' and medium jumbo. I go from one to the other, and I don't really feel a difference in play. Perhaps that's due to the fact that I like to play with an action that is not super low? I do hear a difference in sound, tho, and that's what guided my choice on how to use them. The more transparent Baja60s is my jazz tele. It gets sublime cleans on that neck pickup. The more mid-heavy 52 is my all-rounder. Which is ironic because I almost make NO bends on the modern spec'd neck, and get to bending all the time on the 7'25''.

PS: Besides it's surprising (to me) that I heard such a (subtle but) clear difference in sound. The neck pickups (which did sound different) are almost the same: AV52 for both guitars. And both use brass saddles. And they had the same strings on (no more: Baja is on flats). And I was playing through the same amp same setting when A/B-ing them. Gotta think there's something to the tale that the woods used have an effect on the tone? Go figure…

PPS: well, the neck on mine is 0.9'' at 1st fret and .95'' at 12th. Not Nocaster-large, but not skinny either.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    logans_tele likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

I love how concise this post is! But if I may, slightly cryptic……

PS: on rolled edges, @FredDairy 's threads are practically an encyclopaedia. Go check them out! Now! What are you waiting for?? ;)

20. FredDairy

Thank you!

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.