Anyone 100% happy with your tone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigben55, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I could not agree more with this statement. I feel exactly the same way.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I think if we had access to time travel we'd all go back to 1970 and buy '59 Tweed Bassmans and strats and be happy. But you are talking $50K for that rig today. $5K for reproduction stuff. But i agree an am just a little jealous:)

3. bxc1986

bxc1986 TDPRI Member

In July of 2010 my wife got me a Hot rod Deville for my Bday, its a 97 and made in the USA, it took me until last week to finally get my tone where I love it, and now I am so freakin happy with my tone, its the tone ive been hearing all these years in my head. I have a 2001 nashville telecaster, I put a Lollar Pickup in the bridge, an F-spaced Imperial. I recentlt got a Fulltone OCD and it makes my deville sing!! I also use a Son of Hyde distortion pedal for heavier rock, but the OCD is smooth and cutting at the same time, its amazing, Lollar + OCD = freaking dream come true

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

I am 100% happy with my live tone.

Now I will spend the rest of my life moving microphones around to capture it in a recording.

5. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

6. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I'm ever completely happy with it. I like th eway my guitars sound, that part I'm happy with, but I figth my amps all the time. When I use my BFSR I want it to sound more like a Marshall, and when I use my SS Marshall 100w I want it to sound more tube-like. And I honestly don't think it would matter what gear or whose rig I used, the sounds I have in my head just aren't going to exactly match what comes out the speaker.

Think it might be something in my fingers? <G>

Justin

7. Steely_Ken

Steely_Ken Tele-Meister

I am happy with my tone.
    Stock American Tele into Barber Tone press, Cheap Delay.
    Sparkle Drive and 18 volt OCD if necessary.
    Amps, Fender Non-Master Twin and Deluxe.
    Balance between these two for clean and grit.
    Nothing could be finer for me

Attached Files:

8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have lots of guitars, amps, and pedals. Every time I play any of 'em, I'm like a kid in a candy store - just happy to be there. I like all the noises I make when I play: hi-fi, lo-fi, no-fi - it's just fun to make music of any kind.
    So, yes.

9. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I often go into guitar shops, plug in some guitar I've been gassing for, and just end up disappointed. I usually end up being very thankful that the crap I've cobbled together sounds as good as it does.

10. Daddy Hojo

How many channels do you use on that giant mixer in the background?

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

not quite but getting there.

12. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

What day is it?

13. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I'm totally happy, but only because I have choices.

What happens to me is, the perfect tone starts to get boring and annoying after 3-6 songs. Fortunately, I can switch to another guitar and/or amp, and get another perfect tone, for another 3-6 tunes.

14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

most of the time yes..............but I still want more gear. I tend to really like whatvever amp or guitar I just got done playing so I am pretty easy to please. A good overdrive pedal, played just under ear hurting volume, through just about any fender tube amp does it for me.

15. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

In 1966 I was playing a 1965 telecaster through a 1966 Twin Reverb. Today I play a 1966 telecaster through a '65 Twin Reverb (w/15). Ironic, but true. The tele has a Gib humbucker in the neck with the top set of poles(screws) removed. It took a while to balance the pickups, but when completed...glorious! The best tone is with the amp dimed (always w/earplugs and stay away from directly in front or back).

16. Daddy Hojo

All the way to ten - seriously?!? Those things are crazy loud on 2!

17. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Daddy HoJo,
    What? Did you say something?

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm very happy with my sound- after 35 years or so of playing I seem to have a "base guitar sound" (in my case Fender guitars mainly into clean Fender amps and some kind of "natural sounding" distortion at the ready...) regardless of whatever I'm playing. But from there I always tweaking on what's important for a gig: classic R&R and blues, clean classic country, and now some 70's harder rock. I have (IMO) a pretty good ear and by now know what to do with my gear to achieve a fair amount of variety (effects, distortions...) and truthfully for me 95% of the job is already done with a Tele or Strat and a Deluxe Reverb.

19. cwcowell

cwcowell Tele-Meister

On different days, exactly the same rig sounds different to me. My brain and ears change from day to day, so the tones I hear from my gear change too.

Because of that phenomenon, chasing a single perfect, unchanging tone is unrealistic.

The key to happiness is to settle on a tone that's good enough. Fortunately, that task can be done with just about any set of equipment that has a tone control.

I've settled on a cheap Strat on middle pickup into a simulated Bassman, with tremolo and plate reverb, plus a simulated tubescreamer when I'm feeling cranky.

But honestly, there are hundred guitar+amp+effects combos that would also be good enough.

20. Daddy Hojo

What?!? Huh?!? I can't hear you...

Do you ever have issues with speakers blowing up at those volumes? When I get too loud it sounds like stuff is gonna break, but I play SS amps instead of tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.