Anybody watching The Killing on AMC?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Jun 19, 2011.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I am absolutely HOOKED on this show. The acting is great. The script is better.
    They write like the characters are real people. The cops on the thing screw up all the time, and yet they make progress. Don't get me wrong, it is far from a comedy. 3 different sub plots all entwined with each other.
    It is a dark story. In the first episode a young girl who is 17 is found dead in the trunk of a car belonging to a candidate in the Seattle Mayoral Race.
    Every episode is a day in the investigation and tonight is the finale.
    Very real in it's portrayal of the after effects of serious crime.
    Really good.

2. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

The best part it looks like it will be a different ending to that of Danish version so you can watch it twice! Yay!
    So far I like the Danish one better but we will see what the writers can pull off to suprise me.

3. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

I've been watching.
    And I will be watching tonight.
    A lot of "red herring's" in this series.
    Isn't that an understatement.
    Last weeks episode would lead you to believe it's the councilman.
    So you know it ain't him. If it is it's a huge let down.
    I'd lay my money on the guy or the girl who are working on his campaign.
    If I had to pick someone "out of left field" it would be Det. Holder.
    No particular reason other than "why not?"
    Read an article couple of weeks back in the paper.
    It said that the cast, including "the killer", didn't know who did it until they were handed the final episodes script.
    Should be interesting.

4. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I've been liking it well enough to keep watching, but I think it's got some problems that keep it from being more enjoyable.

One is just that the characters are almost *too* real; they've worked so hard to make every character flawed that virtually all of them are hard to like, let alone identify with. Virtually every one of 'em has done or said something that makes me dislike him or her to some degree.

(And I think some of the characters' unsavory traits are only there to make us wonder if they're the killers. Like Holder, the greasy, crass, sarcastic former drug addict who, despite all that, is promoted to homicide detective. Seems unlikely...so maybe he's written that way just to make us think he could've killed Rose. Then there's Stan's business partner, who has a creepy attachment to the Larsen family...or the millionaire with a penchant for underage prostitutes....)

Another problem that's related to the "everybody's flawed" thing is the whole thing with Linden's ex-husband, fiancee', and sulky son. That whole subplot was dead on arrival; we've seen it a hundred times, there's nothing new here, and it's not really related to anything else in the story. Every time the series spends time on Linden's family troubles, it feels like we've detoured into another show -- one I wouldn't watch.

Still, when the show's good, it's good. And I've felt like I had to watch 'til the bitter end, just to see who the killer turns out to be -- and to see if the reveal is something they've cleverly set up throughout the series, or if it's one of those "wtf" endings that comes out of nowhere.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

i'm enjoying the show. particularly the pace, looking forward to the reveal tonight.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I like it very much. I think if it had been on HBO it could have been even better (more license to be like the Wire etc) but, I think it is terrific. My assumption is that we will learn more about the detective along the way...

7. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

I'm loving it! Took a chance on the first episode and got completely hooked!

Plus I'm a sucker for red heads. :lol:

8. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

So who do you guys think killed Rosie?
    Speaking of realism, on the first episode, when her dad shows up at the scene, I just bawled. They really know how to show the "less than glamorous" side of homocide.
    Anyone else notice that a couple of the woman characters never wear make-up?
    I am really psyched to see who it is tonight.
    They have all of the episodes online and you can watch the whole 13 episodes-if you have the time. :)

I personally think this whole thing is about Regi.

9. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Yes! It's one of the few series I watch on TV at the moment. Great approach to the genre.

10. cwcowell

cwcowell Tele-Meister

I'm digging it. A lot of the critics seem to have turned against it, but I still think every episode is gripping.

11. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

I'm with the critics. I was hooked, then the political claptrap ruined it.
    Anyway, it's nothing compared to the suspense of the Miss USA Pageant. Miss Georgia? Miss CA? Miss FL? Miss MD?
    I'd make them all guilty!

12. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Dang, I wasn't prepared for the second season without a thrilling conclusion to the first.

13. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

OK I didn't get the ending. In a long show like this one you need to show who did it and then spend about 15 minutes explaining why they did it. In this story there was really no motive other than he had a wild hair one night and decided to go crazy. What a letdown.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I got distracted at the end last night.... what is it that the meth detective says when he gets in the car and whose car does he get into?

15. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Don't know whose car it was, but he said something like "the picture worked, he's going down."

I let out a "BOOO" when I saw they were going to milk it out to the next season...

16. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

This is my biggest thing - I love the pacing of these AMC series - like Rubicon and The Walking Dead. It's a nice relaxed pace - they aren't in a rush to pack a bunch of details in and aren't trying to keep you on the edge of your seat with suspense all the. It's all very enjoyable.

17. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

The episode where the son was missing kind of pissed me off and I know a lot of people who were on the fence gave up after it - there was really nothing in that episode to do with the case and other than some character development it was pretty useless. For me it was just a bump in the road of an otherwise great series though.

18. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

Holder has been seen in that car before.
    So I was right:
    So he is involved some how.
    Here is what we know:

Mitch has left Stan
    The councilman is gonna get whacked
    The girl friend has turned on him
    Linden is on the plane. (She'll be getting off obviously)
    Holder is involved in some sort of conspiracy

And do you know what?
    I don't care.
    It should have been a one season mini series with a resolution.
    By the time season two premiers, I will have forgotten all about it.

19. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

What I don't understand is that the cops exposed the girl's aunt as a hooker who got the girl also involved in hooking, leading eventually to her murder by some psychopath client, and there were no consequences. She kept on babysitting Mitch's kids.

20. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't give up on that episode, but it did annoy me. When I first saw promos for the series, I thought it would be interesting to see how the producers could devote a whole 13-episode season to one killing and make it work. Turns out the answer was -- in part, anyway -- by padding the series out with irrelevant subplots and at least one episode that was almost entirely irrelevant.

And last night

-- spoiler warning, although it appears we're not doing warnings in this thread --

we found out they've actually devoted the whole first season and at least part of next season to the same killing.

I do think it was a good episode, all things considered. It just wasn't a good season finale. I'd feel differently if I'd known nothing was really going to be resolved in the first season...if I'd known the guy they arrested in the end was going to turn out to be (probably) innocent, and there'd be a cliffhanger leading to a second season where they continue looking for the *real* killer. But as it is, it felt like a bit of an f.u. to the audience. "Ha ha -- we made you watch a whole season expecting an answer, and now you're gonna watch the second season!"

Well, I'm not sure I will. Part of me wants to know who Holder was talking to, and if my hunch about who really did it is correct...but another part of me doesn't care enough to watch another season of The Killing. There's a good chance the latter part of me will be in control by the time the show returns.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.