Anybody wanna help me make up my mind on a proposed trade?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Jun 24, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2008 Epiphone Wilshire reissue (white with the batwing headstock) with the following upgrades:

- cloth pushback wiring
    - Orange Drop caps
    - Art of Tone CTS pots
    - Switchcraft toggle and jack
    - US Bigsby B5/Vibramate with all Callaham upgrades aside from the 360 arm bracket
    - Knurled nickel switch tip
    - Metal UFO knobs

A seller on FB marketplace is offering a 2019 Fender Special Edition FMT HH Telecaster in Amber that is in mint, almost unplayed condition. I know it's not "really" a Fender being a MII model, but otherwise the specs do seem nice... for the novelty factor if nothing else. I've seen it described as a Les Paul dressed up like a Tele, and I like the idea of that.

Would you guys make this trade? The main thing holding me back is I wanted to use the Bigsby on my new Classic Vibe Starcaster.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Hmm, of the two I think the Wilshire is cooler, personally.

Flip G, Obsessed, El Marin and 4 others like this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Just sayin' ....upgrades are meaningless in a trade. May as well assume you are trading it in stock form. Seems like a good deal for both. Personally, I like the Wilshire better.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d trade.
    Those FMT HH Teles look cool, IMO.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I dunno, I'd probably hold out. You're upgrades aren't higher $$ ones, aside from the B5, but they aren't devaluing ones in any circumstance.
    Those teles aren't as cool as other runs of HH teles. The Indonesian thing is whatever, they aren't bad, but they aren't nearly as good as the Korean teles and esquires you can still find from 10 or so years back.
    You said an Amber fmt? Those look like a telecaster wearing a Wolfgang costume to me. Now, I have no idea how much your Wilshire is worth to sell outright, but if the FMT can get more $$, trade, then sell it if you dont like it. Then you can buy a proper HH tele with 4 knobs or a blade switch at least....

Fendereedo and _MementoMori_ like this.
  6. _MementoMori_

You hit the nail on the head there. I've been trying to think of what this guitar reminds me of. That's it.

The trading just to sell/trade again notion hadn't occurred to me, but it's something to consider.

ReverendRevolver and Fendereedo like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Is it just novelty factor or is there something specific your current Wilshire isn't doing for you? It sounds like a pretty cool guitar. For me if I'm on the fence about a trade I just say no, I have to be pretty sure I'm getting stuff I will prefer. Those HH teles are ok but never struck me as anything special.

8. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No...do not trade.

JayFreddy, Obsessed, dogmeat and 2 others like this.
  9. _MementoMori_

I don't dislike the Wilshire at all. And in fact, I don't even have it listed for trade - I was hoping to sell it outright in an attempt to downsize my gear. I'm currently sitting on four electrics and two acoustics, and I just don't have a lot of time to play at this specific moment in time.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. _MementoMori_

I like your certainty. Feel free to elaborate on why you feel so strongly if you don't mind.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Trade. Your upgrades don't mean much. Value is slanted towards the Fender. Used it's $675 before tax and shipping. Yours is valued closer to $500.

12. _MementoMori_

Stock for stock, I agree. I do have a lot into the Bigsby with Callaham upgrades, but he doesn't want the Wilshire without that.

northernguitar and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, it's your move. If it were me I would trade, if you're thinking about it, then it shows that you posted to get a little encouragement and shove to do the trade. Make sure you get to check out and play the swag first though, you don't want to trade for a lemon. Good luck no matter what you decide.

14. _MementoMori_

I was taken aback by the looks of the thing, I admit. It's very pretty, though I'd prefer a more subdued finish. I don't love that the "solid maple cap" is a veneer, though, and I don't love that a lot of people think the SDs aren't real USA Seymour Duncan pickups. But even at that it would be a great modding platform which I always seem to do anyway.

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

If your going to make into a modding platform, and get enjoyment from it, then it's a totally worthwhile investment JMO. ;)

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

do the trade. you have reached the end of enjoyment of the wilshire.

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the Tele is worth more and more readily sold.
    The only thing I would see on the Wilshire that really adds value to most people would be the Bigsby.
    Trade before he backs out!
    The price guide on a RI Wilshire with the factory Epi labeled Bigsy is $325-$500

18. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Keep the tricked out wilshire, first its way cooler, second by the time you repurchase the mods (which you will) and with what you spent on the first guitar and mods, you are in used MIA tele territory. Play the wilshire use the money you would have spent upgrading the HH on a good used MIM tele move the bigsby to it, and you have two cool guitars

19. _MementoMori_

I just got back from a few youtube demo videos and I'm all in for the trade. The thing just has insane versatility. I could close my eyes and imagine I was hearing a Strat at one point and a Les Paul at another.

20. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep what you have and buy/save for what you want. Two guitars are better than one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.