Anybody using Two Notes CabM+ into PA? - This little unit is amazing!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by dreamingtele, Jul 12, 2021.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I just got this a week ago!

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

FYI, there's three versions.. the original (old) big box C.A.B... then the CabM... then the CabM+

The old firmare of CabM only had Power Amp simulation and Cab Sims.. so you have to have some sort of preamp pedal to use with it.. then the firmware got an upgrade, which included a 74 Silverface Bassman preamp.. still has power amp emulation and cab sims..

The CabM can be upgrade to the CabM+ software.. however, the speaker cabinets that came with the CabM+ hardware won't be downloaded into it.. I think the license for both hardwares are different..

anyway,

Tested this one in church last Sunday, and was blown away with it.. of course there's something missing as I've taken the amp out of the equation, but it sounded pretty good.. WITH TWEAKING.. some presets were all over the top.. so I just chose a few, deleted everything else and tweaked the eq, mics and mic placements.. sounded good to my ears..

It got decent headroom.. I mean, I'm using tube overdrives and it renders it clearly.. I'm not even 3/4's of the way of my input signal.. but this is some sort of a stop-gap for me, I'm going direct to PA while I'm on queue for an 80w High Powered Tweed Twin to use in church.. I'll use the tube amp, then a reactive load, and use the CabM+ for the cab sims and speaker IR's.. thats my solution to still using a tube amp and still go direct/silent stage. Hehehe

I'm waiting for our recording to hear how it is in the PA Board Mix.. I'm suspecting that the board mix will also be different through the PA House speakers.. but oh well.. at least some of my friends told me I sounded good through the speakers..

CapnCrunch and black_doug like this.
  2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Nice.
    I looked at them and decided to go with a Simplifier. All analog, and it has four outputs ( two XLR and two 1/4")

3. dreamingtele

For those who are interested, here's a recording sample of what I sounded like direct to PA.

there's quite a difference between what I hear in my IEM and the PA Board mix... and also what I heard when I was doing my EQ tweaks through my headphones.. I was using a Grado headphones at home to tweak my EQ and my gain stages and it sounded boomy.. so I backed off the bass a bit..

after hearing the recording, I wish I didnt back off too much, it sounds a bit too trebly for my tastes.. but anyway, I think, overall, I'm happy with the tone I got despite needing a bit more tweaking.. I wish I can work with our sound guy but they all rotate as well, and our mix changes every Sunday. LOL

And yes, the mix isnt great.. I really dont know why guitars are always behind everybody else! LOL but anyway, you may or may not hear me properly.. but honestly, this is the best Ive ever got.. it was even worse when I was using my amp, mic'ed.. LOL

Also, these are church music, if you're not a fan, dont click, or just disregard the words and just listen to the music. upload_2021-7-14_8-57-44.gif this is just for basis of tone and fun in learning!

Link 1
    Zeal

Link 2
    Nothing is Impossible

Link 3
    See A Victory

studio and hotraman like this.
  4. dreamingtele

Yeah, that one was also on my list, it was good, but I really wanted to use my amp to go direct, so I'm taking this route. hehehe..

the Simplifier Deluxe is amazing too! however, too much money for me right now. heheh

5. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Tone sounds great with your 335!
    I use a Gretsch Black Falcon with my set-up.
    Here's a link of my sound / set-up

studio likes this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Love the 335 with P-90's!

If more worship players trip to how great p-90's are, you might see a lot fewer Teles on worship stages. Nothing against Teles, but p-90's rule.

7. CapnCrunch

A little off topic, but these are my p-90 platforms. IMG_0490.JPG

hotraman and GoldieLocks like this.
  8. dreamingtele

OMG, what a sound you have there.. that Black Falcon sounded amazing!! Are you using CabM+ too? whats your settings?

and oh, its actually the fully hollow smaller brother of the 335... I'm using the 330.

Believe me, I used to be the "tele guy"... but the 330 is my number 2 on the top dream guitars.. so I sold everything and got it.. number 1 is still very much unattainable... which is the ES-295.. hehehehe.. but of course I want a 335 too.. ehehehe

YES.. great duo!! Is that an early 175 with P90s?

CapnCrunch likes this.
  9. CapnCrunch

The hollow body is a 59 ES 225 that my dad bought new in 1959 or 1960. The gold top is a bit of a mystery. The ES225 is completely hollow also. Feedback can be a big issue with any gain, but it has a monstrous huge tone.

10. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

No... I am using a Simplifier V1. This church has a pro audio engineer mixing the "live stream."
    I am using the Fender settings, with 4 x 12 cab.
    The Falcon is a 2009 with Filtertrons. Thanks for the compliments.

11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

What is the mystery of the gold top?
    Does it have a serial number you can look up info on it?

12. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Friend of Leo's

wow! Simon made his JESTER pedal smaller (the original was Freakin' Huge!). very nice. I used to drop by his house and get my pedal modded. Great sound.

13. CapnCrunch

It has a serial # that is very close to 56 #'s but not quite right. It does not match 68 #'s which was the first year Gibson reissued the Les Paul. They quit making LP'S in 1960 I believe, and started making SG's. In 68 the very first reissue guitars got the crown inlay in the headstock, like a 335. This guitar has a 50's body, without a doubt but has a crown inlay in the headstock. It has 50's binding and 50's pots. So, it's either a 50's LP that was re-necked at the factory or one of the very first reissues and they used a left over body that had been made in the 50's. It weighs about 8 3/4 pounds so it's one of lightest LP's I've ever played. It also came from the factory with a bigsby, which got removed at some point along the way. I'm not familiar with any of the early reissues having bigsby's.

studio and GoldieLocks like this.
  14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 52 Les Paul and some of what you're describing
    makes me believe it's from the 50's with a possible reneck
    or a headstock replacement.

Those LP's are otherwise indestructible except for the
    headstock down to the 3rd fret area. Mine has had
    the headstock refitted at least twice since I've had it
    but the glues they use nowadays are much better
    formulation than before.

You're lucky that you didn't end up with the original
    trapeze bridge tailpiece. Those things were a joke.
    Not even anchored to the body, so every time you
    would bend a note, the whole guitar went out of tune!

Carry on.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  15. dreamingtele

oh man, that 225 is sweet! I also want one in blonde, but in the most rarest form, probably a 58, with a shorter trapeze.. i still dont have a cash for one! Hehehe

16. dreamingtele

yup, he has a bunch of things available now. Im ordering two more pedals actually. A constable and a Page Dumble-flavor

GoldieLocks likes this.
  17. dreamingtele

You sound really good! Its really down to the sound engineer. Our sound guy changes every week so we really dont have a consistent mix everytime

hotraman likes this.
  18. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

I have the older two notes CAB, which was the larger unit - and only used it at venues with guitar where I wasn't aloud a speaker - amp. I used that with my Amp head into the Torpedo Captor then into the Torpedo CAB - It seemed to do the job OK for a pub band gig. I always preferred using my amp and cabs as the feel from them just can never be replicated in my opinion.

However I just started playing worship (as bass player to start) and realized the need for an absolute quiet rig - no amp hiss, no noisy distortion pedals! (No strat..... :eek: ) The CAB in worship would work well, and to my surprise I just found out the other day it can be used for bass as well. So im in process of setting it up for both now as I will play electric as well at some stage.

Anyway, this is my first post in worship section as I just realized it existed today....lol

19. dreamingtele

Hahaha, all good!

I dont post enough here! I wish I do, but from now on, I will!

Actually regarding the feel of the tube amp, I was finally able to get that through my Kingsley tube preamps... now I actually don't care anymore if I plug through a solid state, a digital emulation modelling or through my tube amp.. I will always get my tube warmth and tone, feel and response from my preamps.

Although the power amp section is still crucial in that tube amp tone and feel, but I dont really miss it at all especially since I'm so used to being detached from my amp on Sunday services due to the fact that we have an amp room (photo below), wherein they store the amps, and we use IEM's.. so basically it feels the same, whether I use an amp or not.. but at least I got tube pedals on my board still..

since you're from oz, you'll know my amp, its a Valvetone Juno 25.. a '59 Bassman theme amp in 25w power.. through a 1x12 speaker cab loaded with Mesa Boogie Black Shadow 90w..

20. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Yeah - i know valvetone - I had one for many years - a 15W "Vox" styled Head. Great simple tube amp - really like it but sold it to fund a custom amp I always wanted, had made by Barwatt Amps - hes down your way I believe.

We have an amp room as well but im afraid the "amp hiss" is still too much especially if mic'd up - Vox amps arent the quietest amps going around and thats even after tube replacement and service. Plus I have good quality cables, pedals, power - just nature of my gear! So going ampless just probably helps the sound guys out a bit better. And its only for 4-5 songs every week so nothing to spend too much time mulling over. I was super fussy about tone in my pub band and with loud distorted guitar you don't care about hiss as much.
    Nice guitar by the way! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.