1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody using the Super reverb for country music ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Baard, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

I´m wondering if there are anybody who uses the Super reverb amp for clean country picking. I do, and it´s growing on me every time I play. I can see that it would not be the most obvious choice for playing country, but i dig it big time.....Any famous or unfamous countrypickers who are associated with that amp ?

Baard

2. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine a better country amp. I've actually seen a few that came stock w/ a 15" JBL D130s that were apparently made for steel players. These in particular have an amazing big, deep clanky tone.

3. Admin

Admin Tele-Holic

Super Reverb + Tele = twang bliss

Like its tweed cousin, the 4X10 Bassman, a Super Reverb is a GREAT amp with a TELECASTER, whether you're playing country or just about anything else. SRs have been my primary amps for most of the last 30+ years, and that's included a LOT of country music.

I remember back in the 60s the "classic" guitar/amp combo for country was generally considered to be a Twin Reverb with a Tele, primarily because it offered such a nice clean sound. But until you get up around 6 or 7 on the volume knob, a SR is going to stay pretty clean as well.

Personally, I've always preferred the sound of 10s -- they feel a little more responsive to me, and I like the mid-range bark they give. And while Danny Gatton used all sorts of amps over the years, he gravitated toward 10s a lot of the time; he used a Super Reverb ("optimized" by Joe Barden) to record a lot of the "Unfinished Business" CD. And I saw him play the most amazing country guitar I've ever seen many times using either a 4X10 Bassman with an Echoplex, or a Vibrolux Reverb.

So crank that Super and TWANG! 8) 8)

4. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Relativity of Dirt

I have a loose, saggy '66 SR that breaks up fairly early at around vol. 5 and I keep the bass down (I prefer the mid up at 5 vol and higher though with Teles). I'd say it's a "bluesy" SR but when I've jammed with others playing through OD pedals and other effects that old SR's break up sounds relatively clean (Tele direct to SR). So, I can imagine even a dirty old SR and a Tele as fine for country ("fine" is not loud clean spanky TR tone in this case).

Mik

5. Admin

Admin Tele-Holic

Fery vunny avatar und quote, Herr Mik!

Noticed them yesterday and wanted to compliment you on both. Too funny. :lol: - CS

-----------------------
    Strangelove:

Yes, but the... whole point of the doomsday machine... is lost... if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh?

DeSadeski:

It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.

6. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I'll use a SFSR with a JBL D130F-2 for real clean country and steel gigs. It has such a great clean sound.

I've also seen Marty Stuart use a SFSR and a SFTR in tandem for live work. He gets a great tone, too.

7. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Re: Fery vunny avatar und quote, Herr Mik!

Seein' Herr Doktor SL's pic sandwiched above and below by pics of ol' Maximum Genius Albert made me slap my knee....and that is one of the funniest dialogue exhanges/jokes in the flick. Or any other movie.

Mik

8. Big Smokey

Big Smokey Tele-Holic

Big Smokey

I play chickin pickin country and rockabilly style finger picking through my 69 Silverface Super. It has some metal-domed mystery speakers that aren't JBL's, I'm not complaining as to my ears they sound great!

9. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

great choice...

I think Super Reverbs are a great choice for country gigs. The 4-10's move alot of air and the amp can be cranked up to get a good fat sound. IMHO, they work for country better than a Twin Reverb for the above mentioned reasons.
    later, Robbie

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to use a SFSR when I was in a country rock band in the '70's. The guitar was a P-90 LP rather then a Tele, but it worked for what we were doing.
    Clarence White used a Super Reverb that Red Rhodes souped up for him.

11. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

Ah-yes...

yesterday we rehersed for the first time since I gave it a complete retube. What a difference. With the old tubes, it had a lot of sag, and not too much volume-great if you want to crank it but not so great for in your face clean. With the new Electro harmonix tubes it´s louder, clearer and cleaner. I also found my "dream settings" on the vibrato channel. Volume on 5 treble 3 mid 6 bass 3-master volume around 7-8. Loud but not earsplitting. The reverb prettied up so I can actually use it. set to 3 it gives just a afterthought of sparkle. I hear the sounds from Dale Watson-Junior Brown...I´m a happy man. It´s my autentic country sound. Cant wait to gig with it.

Baard

12. Mike Better

Mike Better Tele-Meister

Mike Better

Played a BFSR at a shop today. What a killer country amp. But for the same price, I could pick up a vicky low-power twin, which I think is the best country amp ever.

Mike

13. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

A blakface SR......

I don´t really know when they started to import fender amps to Scandinavia....I have a feeling most blackface fenders are imported from the USA, privately, and that they had built on 220 w transfomers added. I might be terribly wrong. I see blackface amps now and then....At serious prices, but still, I saw a 63 pro reverb the other day at 1800$. SF amps go for prices all over.... from 200$ to 800-1500, depending on model and state.

Custom shop vibro kings are from 2500-3800, and the new fender vibroverb(?) PTP amp with the 15 " speaker is going to be about 4000 $ retail !

Then again we pay about 15000 $ for a excuse of a car...The result of 180 % car tax....sigh.....
    I´ll take anything as long as it rolls.....NOT.

I really LIKE the fact thet my sfsr has a master volume. It good with the music I play. I´m not going to crank it, I´m just going to get the best clean tones possibly from it, and I´m getting there.........

Baard

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.