Anybody using stompboxes AND a MultiFX board together?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rich_S, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've spent the last several years tweaking my pedalboard so it gives me "my sound" plus a few extras. I've tested, swapped, demo'd, A/B'd, bought, sold, and settled on a board I really like. It's a tuner plus seven pedals: 2 dirt, chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, and delay. I really like it, and I don't plan on changing it. And at only 18" x 12", there's no way I'm going to add to it.

Sometimes, though, it's fun to have some other stuff, but stuff I'd use so infrequently it's not worth buying pedals. Not to mention, I don't want a huge board to put them all on. It occurs to me that a MultiFX board can do most of that "other" stuff. If I want a second delay (with expression pedal) or a pitch shifter, octave, whammy, envelope filter, etc, it would all be in there. And I wouldn't be a slave to pre-programmed patches, since my most commonly-used effects would still be discrete stomp boxes. I'd usually run the multiFX with it's amp models and cab sim turned off, but I suppose in a pinch I cold leave my amp home and use an amp model instead.

The question is, how well to modelling multiFX boards take pedals? Do they get along well? Since my pedalboard would generally be ahead of the multiFX, do modelers have enough headroom to handle a dirt box with volume boost in front? If I used an amp model, would it handle a boost on its input similarly to the same a real amp does?

:?: Share your experience combining stompboxes with modelers.

2. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

All the time. From putting stomps in the loop of a RP1000 to mixing stomps with M5, G3, MS50G, and Yamaha Magicstomp. On occasion I have run into combinations that caused noise for no apparent reason. The Magicstomp did it the most. The G3 also but not so much. I've even run a ME-25 into a G3 so I could use the ME-25 Freeze. Worked great.

3. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Yes and they work very well together. Put the overdrive / distortion pedals in front the mfx unit. I have an HD500 and a Mustang Floor on two different pedalboards. No problems at all.

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Tele-Meister

Analog pedals + Yamaha Magicstomp here.

I use the MS to replicate the "Soft Focus" patch in the old FX500 units and it works pretty good. I don't notice any high frequencies lost, hum, ground noise or any kind of unwanted things that some people claim.
    Also, I have my dirt pedals in front of it and they all sound good to me: VR Rat and FD3.

5. beexter

beexter Tele-Meister

Sounds like a Zoom MS50 or MS70-CDR would be right up your street. Works great for me.

6. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

I have done this at times with my Zoom G3 and had very good results. That unit works just like having three extra pedals of your choice at hand. The channels are easy to set just like using individual pedals and a lot of the effects on it sound really great.

7. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I'm a relative novice that came back to electric a month or so ago from acoustic. I started (on a budget) with a multi-fx only and then realised that although my playing isn't great, my ears are pretty decent. The multi-fx (the well regarded G3X) gave me no user satisfaction, either to listen to, or to use. I just couldn't bond with it.

So for my most used effects I bought 'boutique' overdrive and delay pedals (and a Jamman looper) and added an RP360 (small footprint, nice interface, good sounds) as a utility pedal, ie. for effects that I don't envisage using very often.

My 'best of both worlds' experience is similar to others above... might not help a seasoned player, but maybe it will someone who is starting up and isn't sure which way to go.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

When I got back into playing I had sold all of my effects. Couldn't afford a full board. First I got a Zoom BFX-708... gave around $25-30... one of my all time best pedal values... sorry I traded it to get a Boss ME-70. Added pedals as I could afford, then when I had enough individual pedals, sold the multi. Not a bad way to get a lot of effects fast.
    BTW, I used pedals in front of multi's.

9. skimny

skimny TDPRI Member

I recently replaced my analog reverb pedal in my otherwise analog signal chain with the Zoom MS50G. Works well for me. Doesn't dilute the sweetness of the analog ODs at all.

10. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Forgot to mention I have a Zoom MS-100BT which I used to use as a lead boost but after experimenting found I liked it in the FX loop of my MFX unit for the great delay, reverb, and modulation effects it has. The Ice Delay, Particle Verb, Modulated Delay, and Double Delay of the MS-100BT really work well for me live. I think I like analog drive pedals in front of the MFX units much better. Just my experience...

11. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I currently use a DigiTech GNX2 that I've had for a very long time with a CryBaby & Vox wah. I do get a "hum" when engaging the wah pedals. Is it because I don't have them placed before the ME (Multi-Effects)?

I've also heard that using two will suck the life out of your tone but....I'm weird. I like having what looks like a big effects setup when, in reality, it's just the multi-effects & the two wahs.

The reason I like both the Vox & CryBaby pedals have to do with, I guess, the "sweep" of the wah effect. However, I'm still on the lookout for my dream pedal: A vintage orange ColorSound wah/fuzz/swell pedal that I saw James Burton use in "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii." One exactly identical to that pedal popped up on Ebay and had been modded to use a 9V adapter but...I didn't have the $$$ to buy it and I kicked myself really hard because I couldn't. Here's what it looked like:

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
  12. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Sure, I use both. I started out this way because I wasn't sure which way was right for me, pedals or multi-fx. I already owned a bunch of pedals I used with Rhodes as a keyboard player. When I started playing guitar I used those and added a few more. Then I bought a used ME-50 when I saw it at about the price of a volume pedal. I liked the total combo and it has grown a bit from there with several more pedals. I recently upgraded from ME-50 to ME-80. The multifx is perfect for pedals I would not use enough to justify the expense like Univibe, Flanger, Slow Gear, Acoustic Sim, Wah, and Vibrato. It is also my volume pedal. Since upgrading from ME-50 to ME-80 I think I could sell off a few of the pedals (like those TC delays, but I'm in no hurry. I like the total system I have.

[​IMG]

13. guitarguy97

guitarguy97 Tele-Meister

I do it all the time. I run my dirt pedals and my Whammy before my Pod XT Live, and the Pod deals with the other pedals quite well. I run the Pod with the amp/cab sim turned off and use it for my delay and occasional modulation pedal needs. I keep thinking that I want to replace it eventually with a Timeline X4 because I really only use it for delay, but the Pod just works, and if I want to mess with some odd effect for one song, it's already in the Pod. The only reason I use the separate stompboxes is because I didn't like the sound of the digital dirt pedals and the fact that the Pod somehow didn't have a patch for a Whammy pedal.

14. chickenmonkey

chickenmonkey TDPRI Member

I do too.

I use a combo of my amps lead channel and a dirt pedal for distortion and Dr. Q envelope filter in front of a Koupe '36, then run an ME-50 for modulation, delay and volume pedal through the effects loop.

Works great.

15. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

I ran a M9 on my board for awhile for all my delay, verb & "other stuff" for awhile. It was really nice cause at the time I was doing lots of electric & acoustic gigs & having a bank or 2 for just acoustic was super nice.

16. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Checking back in... The mfx pedal I'm using is a Digitech RP255 I picked up cheap. For the price of a used DD-3, I get a programmable delay with an expression pedal, plus a whole lot more. The RP255 isn't great for live performance on its own, since it just has two footswitches. But as an add-on to a pedalboard it's great.

For delay, reverb, and amp models, I guess it's best if I run the pedalboard into the RP, them to the amp. Trouble is, the RP has some effects that would be better before my pedalboard, especially the chorus and flanger. I'm thinking the envelope follower, wah, whammy, and pitch shift effects would work better before the pedalboard. I'll need to experiment a bit. I might add an insert loop in the middle of my pedalboard's signal chain, or I might augment the RP255 with a couple of stomp switches: one to bypass it, and the other to switch it pre / post.

All this will have to wait until I get home from my current 6- week business trip. I brought the RP255 with me, it'll be a helluva hotel-room practice amp, but combining it with the 'board will have to wait,

17. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Whole bunch of different dirt, boost, and compressor pedals into a Boss GT100 which I use with three different patch levels / volumes in each bank and set for very limited tone shaping except for reverb and delay and sometimes a lead boost switch option. This let's me tap for up or down volume without having to use a more finicky volume pedal. I really don't use any dirt from the unit, and little in the way of modelling either.

If we need a funky effect I wouldn't buy a pedal for - like a humanizer or pitch shift / octaver it's there for me. And I still get the best quality dirt tones I need from the pedals.

18. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I did it like that too for about 6-7 years. I still have my Yamaha Magicstomp b/c I love the reverb and delays on it but I went through 2 of them (one output started to get significantly quieter than the other sent it to T1M to get fixed and he never fixed it. He probably still has it from 4 years ago bought another to use in the mean time)

&

It has the funky AC requirement and the Wallwart which is only 100v so that meant I had to carry a 220V->110V transformer around with me to gigs.

I really really wish Yamaha had tried a little harder and made a MS III. That box is so good.

Multis can be great too if you have a couple effects you just use once or twice a set. Can save you carrying around a **** ton of boxes you barely use.

19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Tele-Meister

My unit came with a 110v, I don't know if there are different models/wallwarts depending on the continent... :rolleyes:

And yes, it's a great unit, the SoundEditor is not the most intuitive software but it works fine, the factory presets are pretty decent just right out of the box, I wish I could have a little bit more flexibility in the presets editing though.

I hardly doubt Yamaha will launch a MS III soon since they bought Line 6 and they already have some decent multi units. :neutral:

20. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

My setup is a Carl Martin Hot drive 'n Boost, Boss D4-1 then into Digitech RP500 for amp sims, modulations and programmed delays, then to Flashback for dotted eighth delays and spur of the moment craziness. From there into a Digitech jamman straight to PA or power amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.