Anybody try the Impossible Whopper yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, Aug 15, 2019.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I try not to eat too many burgers from fast food chains these days (mom and pop joints is a different story), but I did try one. I could just tell the difference, and might not have noticed if I didn't know beforehand. But it did have a slight aftertaste. I'm not a whopper fan to begin with, but I would so slightly prefer a real one to the impossible version. Burger King has a tasty spicy chicken sandwich though. Just don't eat two of them back to back. Not if you want to hold your loaf anyway.

Also, I noticed that the impossible whopper didn't seem nutritionally satisfying. And I'm not a vegetarian/vegan knocker. I wouldn't mind going that way if I had more time to find out about how to do so. At least partially any way (eating meat from small farms and hunts, locally caught fish). I don't like factory farming. I'm just too lazy and ignorant on the topic to do anything about it, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was much younger, I had a girlfriend who was a vegetarian - and this was when there were so few of them around.

Anyway, we'd find places to eat with salads and grilled fresh green beans with oil and garlic, and delicious Asian dishes and her personality was so pleasant and outgoing that any number of people decided they, too, needed to try out vegetarianism. Instead of being about self deprivation, everything was about the fun of the moment and youthful energy and she was entirely non judgmental about what others were doing - just fun times for everyone she touched. She was just.......radiant.

So here we are in 2019 and so called vegans are eating faux beef burgers and I would assume no onlooker would know this person was a vegan or not, or whether they were "cheating" or not and certainly no one's hearts or minds were won over by any sort of "positive role model". I mean, I love fresh vegetables and our choices in some locations we live in are so amazing - so, what's this fixation with meat. This is sort of like the ex alcoholic who spends all his time at taverns and bars where the only beverage is alcohol. Get an actual and new life, why don't you?

OK. Somebody will need to know, how Bubbanov managed to have a vegetarian girlfriend when at that time, he hadn't even given up beef, lamb or pork yet. Well, you see, I was the Organic Pioneer Gardener and I had every book by J I Rhodale memorized and I helped people with their home gardens and compost heaps. She hung with me for a few months, gathered I guess all she could learn and then she got on an airplane and went away elsewhere to college - and I didn't tag along. I'm not sure why.

3. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Thank God for ketchup!

electrichead, uriah1 and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

we've been eating the waygu burgers lately.burger king is not going to cut it.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was eating pescatarian for a while, but missing beef. Now I'm eating beef again, but not very much, or very often.

Omaha is all about beef, more than beer.

Isn't Milwaukee all about beer?

Everywhere is sort of all about beer isn't it?

Anegthergn likes this.
  6. Anegthergn

Anegthergn TDPRI Member

Yes I have, and was really good! I WAS stoked, and thought all is well w/the world a burger that isn’t meat, and tastes like the real deal, (even though I’m a big meat eater!). Then I started reading the specs. Apparently it’s no better for ya than the real deal. But the novelty will bring me back for more...mmmm, I’m hungry!

scrapyardblue likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Milwaukee just had the parent company take Miller out of the name but actually add jobs. Milwaukee has Sprecher that's one of the granddaddies of the modern beer movement. Third Space is really good but not broad distribution.

Reality is these days I like more Madison brewers more than Milwaukee. Fan boys can argue but where I work the subsidiary business units sell beer in both locations. We know what's best in two ways. Trying it and watching what sells.

Our sales of non-meat meat remain strong too.

The part of me that got an economics degree before a tech career likes the idea of foods that give us a better footprint on earth. Some farmer friends are taking sides with this. Others are happy to grow what the market wants.

I'm revisiting all this because I don't want to take statins again. With good diet and exercise I'm back in elevated cholesterol land again.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

For future reference I wonder how long it will be until they advise that the ingredients in this fake food is carcinogenic. One or two generations?
    I don't mean to alarm anyone as i'm sure they probably did a good few weeks or months research and testing on it in the lab while creating it.
    It's probably not much more of a risk than playing your guitar with parts that come with a cancer risk sticker on them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    electrichead likes this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Last time I went to Burger King, I got head-to-toe hives. Time before, I got a week of the runs.

No, thanks!

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Plus they NEVER tell you Which Part of the Plant they use.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

With fast food it's usually the after effects that are the impossibility, a square peg through a round hole.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thaz rite.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. imwjl

When I looked at the ingredients it was clear lots of things I eat look and sound more scary. It's plant protein, fat and heme protein makes it meat-like.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Making vegetables bleed by processing them through machines in a lab with other ingredients that have also been processed in similar machines looks scary to me.
    It certainly doesn't leave me with a craving for it.:)

I'd prefer to eat meat that wasn't processed beyond mincing and seasoning it and hadn't had it s feed processed too.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  15. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

No thanks

16. imwjl

It bleeds via heme in plants - beet and/or legume roots if I recall. As much as we garden, cook and eat the whole and home cooked foods everyone should we also have some processed foods in our life too. This stuff doesn't really look bad in that context. Don't forget your bread and beer are processed foods too.

I've mentioned a Freakonomics episode that covered this stuff with the inventor and head of the cattleman's association both.

Here's where I think some alarm and talk over this stuff is 20 - 142 on the 1 - 10 scale of being stupid. IT and pricing staff where I work have hundreds of thousands of popular food item nutrifacts in two of our systems. The main ERP/business system and the system that sends scale and label data through the enterprise. We'll get comments on what people will and won't eat and then look at what's in the stuff. The popular for us Beyond and Impossible products look really good relative to a lot of the $ hundreds of thousands a day of food and drink items our customers buy. Also, one of the dudes in my neighborhood MTB riding posse is the science resource for a major ingredients firm that sells protein, fiber and flavor ingredients to food companies. He points out all sorts of things we buy and eat all the time the are processed & fortified. His angle is you should be afraid of popular snacks and sports foods and many things most people have consumed their whole life if you're afraid of this.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We should be afraid of all of it
    Processed foods, that is

it's killing us

fenderchamp and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Chunkocaster

I think cancer is related more to processed foods than specific natural food items.
    We weren't meant to be messing with our food as we have been for a long time now for the sake of convenience and cost/profit.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

diabetes also, and these weird new food allergies

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Chunkocaster

The allergies do seem weird. Almost like they have been created and here's the solution. Just buy our more expensive gluten free version etc.
    Some people must just be overexposed to lab modified products from cleaning products, grooming products, clothing, plastics in household appliances and furniture, bedding etc. Processed foods and their immune systems just become hyper sensitive to things.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.