Anybody try the Impossible Whopper yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, Aug 15, 2019.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Beyond Burger at TGI Friday's and liked it. I hear that the Impossible Burger is better.

As far as salt, fat, and protein content, they are nutritionally similar to meat.

The big difference is the absence of cholesterol... And as a heart patient, for me, that's huge.

Looking forward to trying one.

CharlieO and 8barlouie like this.
  2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Cooked some beyond burgers on the Q and tried one. The Ms had the TimHorton sausage and a Beyond at a fancier restaurant.
    It was ok

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I've been to both myself.
    I ain't taking sides here, but vegetables don't crap.

4. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Check the facts about Cholesterol in those fake meats.

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I get that. I grew up around ag, and in my IT career did projects adding business intelligence and automation in food and meat plants. For several years I've been the IT director for a company that has food businesses. That animals crap can be a problem in lots of ways. In my case I have to look at and make sure bulletins are published and I see stats. Even when there's a recall for vegetables, drilling in past news hype you don't often see matters as disturbing when it's about meat.

Having just spent the week with our cabin neighbor a farmer and having well problems he brought up issues in his state similar to mine. In my state they just did well testing across a few counties and 91% of the sample had bio problems and not just nitrates. The cabin neighbor said their irrigation and residential wells are now 140+ feet deep to not have nitrates or fecal issues. He said that's more than twice what they were when they first started their own testing or did mandated testing decades ago.

The farmer neighbor has moved more and more toward local markets and thinks more and more about impact and sustainability. Not all of his peers are on board.

When my area had catastrophic flooding 51 weeks ago the large industrial farms were problems for people downstream.

What Impossible and Beyond wish to do makes sense. The shape a lot of people and land areas are in is not good.

Closer to topic, I rarely go to a fast food place but where I work they sell both Impossible and Beyond. I've had the products. Impossible not available for retail but our delis sell it. Beyond is available for retail. I confess to liking stuff from both.

I like this stuff for another reason. I was a chubby kid. Now I've reached 60 after 12 years of trying to be disciplined with activity and diet. I can't imagine and don't understand why people don't work at that. It's so nice to be agile and energetic compared to so many my age. With so much obesity around me the eating well plus activity are kind of like making yourself 20 years younger.

cucurrucucu, JayFreddy and 8barlouie like this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"I'll take a side of the meat fries with that please."

Teleterr likes this.
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

if you don't eat meat, fake meat is great for social situations. you go to a barbecue and you get something on a bun that tastes ok that you put your choice of toppings on and you grab a beer and you shoot the **** with your friends.

it also makes a whole lot of recipes work that otherwise wouldn't. portabello mushrooms only go so far. and god help the next person who tries to convince me to order a veggie wrap.

8. cyclopean

man, the censor filter is zany on this thing - i know what i said, but for all you know i could have said "kids" or "pope" or "dogs".

9. cyclopean

indian curry is wonderful but sometimes you want a burger, and it's a weird food to bring to a barbecue.

btw i hate how when you order indian food people absolutely don't want to make it spicy at all and it turns into a stupid game getting it cooked the way you want it cooked. same with thai food.

10. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

OK, here are the nutrition facts about the Burger King Impossible Whopper:

https://www.bk.com/menu-item/impossible-whopper

10 mg. of cholesterol

Here are the facts for the Whopper:

https://www.bk.com/menu-item/whopper

90 mg. 0f cholesterol.

I have heart issues, and I like burgers. I also liked the Impossible Whopper. I'll continue to buy them when I want a burger.

8barlouie likes this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously, how much worse could anything possibly be?

12. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

A real Whopper is almost dead last on my chain burger list, So I'll pass on their faux version.

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As far as impossible burgees how, it tastes like all the others. Cheesecake Factory still has the best one I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imwjl likes this.
  14. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I don't know how Burger King is in other places, but you have to be a brave individual with your life insurance premium paid to eat at one around here. They are mostly dirty, run out of things, and the machines break all the time. I've seen some rather appalling things in BK.

So... No, I have not tried the Impossible Whopper.

8barlouie likes this.
  15. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Well......you can either take my word for it or pony up to BK and experience it yourself.
    Worse than anything I’ve ever tasted in any military chow hall on the planet.

16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think the ice dispenser broke down on the one near me once. It sounds like the BKs near you might be privately owned by someone who doesn’t particularly care. It doesn’t say much for the value of the brand when they don’t pull the franchise from someone like that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  17. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I would probably like it better than turkey burger anyway !

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No way. Like I said, I've ponied up for other grim Burger King items, with disasterous results.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's the first one I had. My first choice would be what our delis make for lunch hour if I catch them freshly made.

For the overall topic I see the defenders looking like I did when my livelihood depended on a now dead GM plant that was not sustainable and other related business cycles equally troubled or dead. Growing up where it was only tractors and other machines that had a 6 or 4 cyl instead of a V8.

In my other post, the farmer who's changed his mix of crops and the animals he raises said his area would benefit with more crop diversity including the peas and beets in these products. Where I work the now years old sell local effort has many farmers who say their shift to local retail and restaurant supply has been stability and especially with the tariff related messes.

Here's the news I mentioned in my other post. Other areas of the state have had 40some percent contaminated in tests. A friend who farms in IA said this is a problem there too. I pointed out our MN friend is drilling more than 100% deeper to have drinking or irrigation wells without nitrates or fecal issues.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_94b634a9-5ac9-53f2-bf17-8e3a173c9531.html

Being smarter about food and economics is a lot of great opportunity. People should get on the bus instead of get run over by it.

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I tried one just the other day. it was pricey!

Haven't been to a burger King in well over a decade.

If you had not told me it was an impossible burger I would not have known it wasn't a burger king hamburger. it tasted like a fast food hamburger. A lot of the flavor was in the condiments. But I'd eat one again.

The fries were quite good

8barlouie and guitarbuilder like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.