Anybody tried this with a Bigsby?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TRexF16, Oct 29, 2017.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I'm thinking over some tremolo options for an upcoming build. I know it's common to take an ashtray bridge and notch the top part of it for the strings to pass over so it can be used with a Bigsby-styled tremolo mounted just behind the bridge. But has anyone ever tried using the existing string holes in a dual load ashtray-styled bridge to run the strings through from the Bigsby? Like so:
    Bigsby Ashtray.jpg
    My sense is it might be a bit much of a break angle and perhaps hard on the strings where they pass through the bridge metal without doing something to ease the friction. So I thought about slightly enlarging the holes just enough to install the type of ferrule used to do string-through mounting on the top of the guitar. You'd have to shorten them and bevel the other side as well:
    BTSF-5-C.jpg
    Or perhaps just drill the ashtray holes out a bit and line them with some super-low friction material like PTFE which is available in rod form as small as 4mm.
    https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ptfe-rod-4mm-5mm-6mm-8mm-10mm-12mm-16mm-20mm-25mm-diameter.html

Has anybody explored some thing like this?

Thanks,
    Rex

2. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Maybe you could find some ptfe tubing like they come with hipshot b-benders (I just installed one with the same bridge). I just had to open the holes a little.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

using a Bigsby, or any tremolo with a bridge not intended for such applications is nuts...

Guys go on and on about tuning problems.. but NOW, you're are gonna install a system that HAS to drag a string back and forth over a fixed point? Yeah, that's a good plan to be sure...

This sounds like some lame rationale like, "I like the looks ... " or some other goofy reason... hey guys... you, me, no one, can hear how a guitar looks, you can hear how fast it goes out of tune though.

Use a bridge designed for use with a tremolo... you'll be glad ya did..

Ron Kirn

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bad idea, if you ask me. It adds a needless friction point, even with the bushings you’ll likely have a lot of hang ups, if not more frequent string breakage, or both.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I've spent considerable amounts of time and money performing modifications that created more problems than they solved. This smells familiar to me. :)

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have seen people put notches in the back of the plate for string clearance (and no friction).

Edit: quick google image search and found these (on the Bigsby site, lol). They used some files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Hey Ron, don't sugar-coat it man, go ahead and level with me.;)
    Yer gettin' a little soft in your old age!

I wasn't too keen on the idea myself, just thought I ask and see if anyone had tried it without the issues that look pretty obvious just looking at it. I was a slow day so I took the time to draw it out.

Thanks all.
    Rex

8. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Looks like normal work than the notches

9. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

IF your bridge has the holes, then I think the bushings to smooth them out is a good idea.
    I think it will work. If it doesn't then there;'s always the file, or the Mastery bridge.
    [​IMG]
    This one is for a Cab. They obviously have full size models with the pickup mounting spot too.

10. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I've always loved the looks of the Bigsby trems but after a little while with a vintage Guild Starfire equipped with one, I have changed my mind.

But there has always been this nagging thought about putting a bolt through the Bigsby's arm pivot to provide a positive upward stop and make it a 1 way, non, floating unit. This in combination with a roller bridge and ball bearing nut and we may have something. How is that new machine shop you located on base Rex?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.