Anybody Take a Guitar on a Cruise Ship?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by draggindakota, Apr 2, 2019.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I took a travel guitar with one of those pocket rokit plugin amps and headphones on an Alaska cruise. Fun sitting on the balcony at night noodling. It was probably more trouble than it was worth but it was good for the at sea days.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

I've never had any problems taking guitars on cruise ships but the airlines can be hit or miss. I have had to 'gate check' a guitar a few times when the overhead bins on the flight were full.

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I would never take an acoustic, way to loud unless you really think you are going to entertain people you have never met. I take my Tele, iPad, headphones and my Line 6 Pocket Pod on every vacation. I can play day or night to backing tracks and disturb nobody.

4. clackers49

clackers49 TDPRI Member

I have taken a journey acoustic around the world it fits in a rucksack that can go in the overhead rack on planes, lucky I have been able to do that. why? it's the fingers practice, not getting back after a fortnight 3 gigs at a weekend and sore hands, also practicing those songs you want to learn in the shade while ones beloved enjoys the sun.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

"...just keep on rockin' (and pitching & rolling) me baby..."

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'd rather take a cruise on a guitar ship.

7. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister

It's not a Tele, but I've taken my Strobel Rambler Classic (tobacco sunburst, not bad lookin') and an RK FR5 to a friend's wake, we were in a band together back in 1976, us survivors got together to jam a few for old times' sake and I played through an amp there, worked fine. It's a cool little guitar, easy to remove the neck, which is held on with thumbscrews, and it fits in a backpack.

https://www.strobelguitars.com/shop/rambler-classic/

Last summer took the Rambler to Robben Ford's guitar camp in upstate NY (I'm in CA) with a JRAD The Dude pedal and used it for classes and onstage jams. It received a number of curious looks and questions from everyone, but it worked out fine using the onsite Supros.

I'm taking it with me again this year (hey that's why I bought it!) when I head back east to visit friends and family, but I am going to swap out the pups for Reverend Humcutters, the stock pups are a bit muddy and congested, and I love P90-style tones. I expect to be doing a lot of jamming and maybe a small gig or two with friends, so I'll probably pick up a small, inexpensive amp, perhaps a Katana 50, to use and leave it at my sister's place for the next time I'm there. I have the 100 and have the BTS SW already on my laptop so can tweak it there with some of the presets from my 100.

8. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ TDPRI Member

Do it all the time. I have a Traveler EG-1 that I picked up used for $100. It’s only 28.5” long so I can put it under my seat as my carry on when I fly, but it has a full 24.75” Gibson scale. It has a built in pocket amp and headphone jack so I can play it out on the balcony.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

That Traveler guitar is pretty sweet. I need to measure my newest big suit case and see if it'd fit.

I just take the neck of my tele, and stuff in my checked bag. Never had any issues with it.

[​IMG]

10. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I took my old Kramer Duke on a cruise, and plugged it into my laptop. I did find some time to play on sea days, and it was relaxing.

11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Errr yeah. 4 days stuck on a boat with someone else's relatives and too much booze...But hey, you may enjoy it! :twisted:

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

It's never occurred to bring a guitar along on a cruise. There's plenty to do and would be sort of a hassle. Guitar safari before, during, or after the cruise ... that sounds like fun to me.

EDIT: my parents are taking a cruise to Hawaii. They have something like 4 days at sea each way and a guitar would come in handy for something like that.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To sum up :

- your brother-in-law hates you otherwise he wouldn’t make you go on a trip to witness his “special day“.

- he really hates you because he wants you to go on a floating petri dish of fecal coliform and noroviral gut rot

- since this is not a music cruise and/or a blues Cruise you need to stay inside your cabin and play guitar.

- We’ve already established that you’d be a pretentious doofus if you were to go strummy strummy next to the lifeboats up top

- do you really want to be in your below the waterline/next to the engine shoebox cabin when there is probably sunshine on the deck?

- And if you were going to spend all your time in the cabin , wouldn’t you want to be in there with your wife and/or girlfriend – and I don’t mean playing guitar ?

- I am for the last 25 years or so, a very light drinker. Probably four beers in a week. If I had to go on that cruise? I’d be obliterated every second I was there. My goal would be that I’d want almost all the stories about that weekend to be about me.

Then it’d be worth it...

14. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

I would take my Stanford Parlour guitar. Busking on cruise ship could be fun and maybe rewarding in more than one way (if you're a MILF-guy).

Greggorios likes this.
  15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Use a decent but not expensive guitar. ;)

Greggorios likes this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I played on a cruise ship for about a year when I finished college. It's a great way to build your chops and make some money.

I played an Ovation, which I hate and IIRC a Tom Anderson, as was the style at the time.

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I have traveled with a GS Mini in a hard case, and honestly, you might as well bring a full size guitar. It's not much smaller. Always checked it for free.

18. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Very valid points...

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

If you ever want proof that Sartre was correct, try a cruise.

Unless it's a big ship, there's no escaping the other passengers and/or the crew.

The only comment I'll make about pretentious doofuses playing random musical instruments at random times on random parts of the ship is if they did it around me, the musical instruments would be taking a swim.

I don't understand all the references to flying with a guitar. It's a completely different mode of travel, and an airline passenger is hardly likely to whip out their Tele and 'treat' the other frequent flyers to a few tunes at 30000 feet.

suave eddie and MilwMark like this.
  20. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

But you were employed by the cruise line, not a random passenger entertaining the masses.

MilwMark and notmyusualuserid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.