Anybody Take a Guitar on a Cruise Ship?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by draggindakota, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

A “destination wedding” (already one of the most hated phrases of recent times) that requires plenty of Purell. o_O

Make your bro-in-law buy you a guitar...

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Sounds like more trouble than it is worth but that's just me...

Dan

Greggorios, murdude and Georox like this.
  3. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Luckily there's no air travel involved. It's only a 2.5 hour drive to the port.

That's what I was thinking. I've got a nice, thick Roadrunner gig bag I could use and It'll probably be just a $15 squire I bought from Goodwill. It would most likely never leave the cabin either way, just something to plunk on when I want some quiet time.

Believe me, I wish I could. At least the wedding is immediately after we board, so technically I can just disappear for the rest of the time. The cruise is also 4 days after my 40th birthday so I trying to just tell myself that's what I'm there for :lol:.

4. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Not worth the bother.

brogh and murdude like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cruise? Sounds like uke territory to me. It also wouldn't hurt as much when your wife throws it overboard.

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

A small hollow body guit or uke makes sense. Then, at least you have something to crap in when the toilets fail and you run out of ziplock bags.

Greggorios and Georox like this.
  7. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

like this guy.....

animal.jpg

8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

On the two Outlaw Country Cruises I've been on a few folks brought guitars - acoustic and a couple of guys with teles and battery amps, and ukuleles, banjos and mandolins. They'd play away from the main areas or along the side decks. Didn't seem out of place, pretentious or annoying but it was the OCC music cruise. On OCC3 Gibson had an acoustic guitar display and passengers were encouraged to try out the instruments - mostly Epiphone Masterbilts if I recall correctly. Some good jams and good players among the passengers. On cruise ships there are quieter out-of-the-way places where one can play.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

have you considered NOT playing for a few days? Sometimes a few days off can refresh your subconscious mind, and when you come back to playing you might have all kinds of new perspective.

Anyway, you should try to relax and enjoy the cruise. Try not to bring everybody around you down because you are there and you don't want to be.

FloInPA, MilwMark and suave eddie like this.
  10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Dread not, I may never be ready for a three hour cruise

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I've never been on a cruise ship, but I take mine to resorts with me all the time.

My guitar and my laptop with Rocksmith on it.

It's been on a lot of planes to a lot of islands. Gives me stuff to do if there bad weather and while waiting on the wife to get ready for whatever we got to do that night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  12. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

I get this perspective. However, I usually make the most progress in my playing while on vacation. There is no job to worry about, no stress of maintaining a home, no sports practices to shuttle the kids to...just actual free time. It's nice to wake up in the morning, go sit on a deck and write a song, or just sing something chill. I don't usually bring a full-size, but I always will at least bring a uke.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Mrs. Califiddler and I did a 4-day cruise a few years ago. I took my "beater" acoustic. There were no issues with flights because we drove from home to the port of departure (about a 5-hour drive). IIRC I didn't get much of a chance to play it because: 1) we were pretty busy with activities most of the time; and 2) it was hard to find a spot on the ship where I could just sit by myself and play.

Georox and suave eddie like this.
  14. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

^^^^
    This exactly. You probably won't want to be closed up in your cabin which is going to be very small, and any public place you find to play will be like you are busking on a street corner. If you're in port, you'll want to be off the ship. If you're at sea you won't want to be in your room.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you have all year to learn how to play harmonica!!!

Also, while there are times when there are things to do on a cruise, there is a lot of time where there is NOTHING to do. Seriously...most people will sit around and play on their iphones anyway. In fact the cruise that I went on literally had a class/activity on "how to get the most out your iphone" or whatever. Having a guitar or something is fine.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  16. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I've taken my 00-18 Martin all over the world. I usually get on planes and sweet talk the flight attendants to get it into their closet up front. Rarely does it ever go below.

I've had it on cruises all over the Caribbean, Tahiti islands, Mexico.

That's what I do. Sitting in the sun, in my birthday suit, with my chick naked on an over water bungalow deck in Bora Bora, playing guitar, whilst sipping ice cold Coronas doesn't suck.

IMG_1631.JPG

17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I took a Les Paul Junior in a gig bag on a Blues Cruise in 1992 with no problem. I also
    had it in an overhead compartment on the plane to get to the ship in Tampa.
    I don't know if that is still allowed and kind of doubt it but if you aren't flying then not a concern.

18. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I don't think I'll ever go on a cruise ship, but if I did and brought a guitar with me, this would have to be it:

[​IMG]

19. surfsup1955

surfsup1955 TDPRI Member

Yamaha Silent guitar with a set of earbuds is all you need..

bbetancourt likes this.
  20. IrishDad95

IrishDad95 NEW MEMBER!

Bought an inexpensive acoustic/electric to take with me through Europe and to Uganda. Flight crews would immediately latch onto it and put it in the closet near the front of the cabin. Left it with the people I stayed with in Africa. My question is whether the humidity onboard the ship would be an issue. Doesn't appear so after seeing how so many have taken their instruments with them. I've played nearly every day for 50 years as of this spring, and I'm thinking a break does seem to bring a new perspective to my playing. Having said that, I can't help but feel a travel-sized guitar would be the way to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.