Anybody Still Use George L Cables?

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been using George Ls for, God, I can't remember how long. I know some people have had issues with them, but they've always worked for me. I think you have to be very careful when you assemble them, make sure the cut on the end of the cable is square and everything is tight. I change out stuff on my board a lot and am always messing with stuff and so far, so good.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Maybe it was George L when they first came up.
But sticking in the wire without solder...everytime I kicked
or tripped over a cable...they would go caput..
It has been a long time..maybe they are better...
I am a soldered type now.

ole6string

Tele-Meister
I have two that I purchased in 1986. Still work great and I use them all the time. The two that I have the wire seems to be a bit more rigid so I use them for connections other than guitar to amp.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
One of the best cables I gotta bunch just never use them much as I don't use pedals for anything but steel guitar mostly and they aren''t really good as a main gigging cable. I used the strat-jack size end that is longer and has a set screw and was much more sturdy than the right angle plugs. I tossed the right angle plugs in the garbage and kept the wire.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Yes. I have three separate pedal boards and almost all the connections are made using George L cables. I use their gold plated plugs because I'm a snooty sniffer and can afford them. I can't say they sound any better than the nickle plugs but I do like the fact they never develop that green stuff on them.

paulblackford

Tele-Afflicted
I use George Ls cable ends, for everything. Long cables, and patch cables. The actual cable itself is from a Wilde pickups patch cable kit, that Bill & Becky used to offer. Best cables I've ever used. There is a clearly audible difference whenever I've brought another cable into my setup.

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
I have some ends that have been in use for over 30 years, the cable I have is Belden marketed by Bill Lawrence. My fellow guitar player kids me about them but I have seldom had any issues.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I divested myself of all my George L stuff several years ago when I downsized and switched to the new-style flat cables with the slim right angle ends.

The only patch cables I ever had go bad were George Ls and super cheap ones. There always seemed to be one or two connectors on the board that had a cap that would back out just enough to break contact. They caused the problem they were supposed to fix.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Yes.

Along with Bill Lawrence cables that I bought 15 years ago.

The skinny ones...

They've all worked very well; and I really like their frequency response for acoustic-electric guitars.

imo.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I used them when I wired my pedal board a couple of years ago. Once I got the hang of it, they worked well.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Yes, I'm still using mine. I just bought the wire and the connectors and made my own. I use them for instrument cables and for patch cables on my pedalboard.
Of the few times I've ever had a problem with one, I just removed the connector, cut off an inch or so of cable and reconnected. They are easy to assemble and only a small flat blade screwdriver is required.