1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody still use EBay?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fenderese, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Was it from Japan @fenderese? Lots of different sellers for the same guitar, it’ll sell elsewhere and your guy won’t actually have the item so he’s got to refund.

I don’t like eBay from my experiences where a buyer will whine about something (and I’ve bought stuff that had ‘surprises‘ and I don’t whine) and they’ll open a case and eBay always sides with the buyer and the seller gets screwed. Reverb seem very reasonable listening to buyer/seller disputes. I’ve had mostly good experiences on Reverb.

2. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Was it from Japan @fenderese? Lots of different sellers for the same guitar, it’ll sell elsewhere and your guy won’t actually have the item so he’s got to refund.

I don’t like eBay from my experiences where a buyer will whine about something (and I’ve bought stuff that had ‘surprises‘ and I don’t whine) and they’ll open a case and eBay always sides with the buyer and the seller gets screwed. Reverb seem very reasonable listening to buyer/seller disputes. I’ve had mostly good experiences on Reverb.

3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

No, mine broke several decades ago....

4. MatsEriksson

DELETED

5. MatsEriksson

... Oh...my oh my..I thought you said EBow!

6. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister

I've never sold but I buy all the time.

7. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

NO, NOPE, NADA.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yup, still use it. I haven't sold anything there in over 10 yrs.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. For buying and selling. I use eBay, Reverb, and Craigslist. If I am looking to buy, I check all three to see what's out there.The auction format of eBay sometimes is an opportunity to get something cheap. It is less useful for big items like amps, etc. I have had equal luck on both eBay and Reverb. When selling, I usually put things on CL first. Then if it hasn;t sold after a few weeks I'll put it on eBay and Reverb both. The bigger your audience, the better your chances.

10. 808guitar

808guitar TDPRI Member

I've had sellers on both eBay and Reverb cancel sales on me after I've paid. It happens sometimes.

If I'm selling a guitar, if it is unique or desirable I usually put it on Reverb. If it is a MIM Strat or something run of the mill then I usually just go for Craigslist/Facebook.

I have had better luck selling parts on eBay than Reverb. For whatever reason they seem to sell a lot more quickly (I usually don't do auctions, just fixed price) and since eBay changed the fee structure to match Reverb, the costs are lower.

11. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I thought they had a policy against that? I seem to recall back in their hay day, early 2k, a seller telling me they had another account (wife's or father's) and would use it to drive up the price to a minimum they wanted. I'm sure that's was frowned upon, but it saved them from being dinged for reneging. The idea was to get people bidding and still insure a minimum was reached.

Most of the time I look at the seller ratings. If there's a lot of positive ratings I go for it. If not, I'll pass. The exception being for small ticket items. I'll take a chance here.

In a lot of respects, Ebay is kind of like Amazon. Many retailers sell there. I'm not really an Amazon fan for many reasons. However, I know the retailers there have to keep clean or they will lose their selling privileges. In fact, if it's a company I never heard of and their site is ehhh, I'll buy from them but through Amazon just for the protection. Perceived or not.

12. mflores

mflores TDPRI Member

One of my favorite sellers is on Ebay but I never use them. Their website is $20-$25 cheaper than eBay which makes me happy.

13. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Heyday :)

14. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

Kijiji here in Canada; never eBay. Craigslist too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.