Anybody remember the genre of “College Music” from circa 1990?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jun 22, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    A live version of “Jane Says” popped up on my random iPod music in my truck yesterday. My wife had never heard that version, so we talked about me seeing Jane’s Addiction live, and how it was a different time for music.

That made me remember, during the two or three years prior to Nirvana and Pearl Jam coming out, there was a section in most music stores for “College Music.” That’s where you’d find Jane’s Addiction, The Violent Femmes, Souixie and the Banshees, and even REM, Lennie Kravitz, and yep, even Soundgarden.There was no “Alternative Music” genre yet - just College Music.

Then along came Nivana, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden made it big after that... and Alternative Music was born and Grunge came out of that.

Now it’s just all rock and roll.

My wife was only born in 1980, so all she remembers from this time is going to a Paula Abdul concert.

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes, also it was the peak of hair metal and i would really enjoy the pre alternative music.To this day,i think those bands you mentioned helped setting the stage for music to pull any direction one wanted to vs always being categorized. Just original music..what one plays simply what they naturally play

3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I was born in '79. I do remember when commercial record stores started putting 'alternative' sections in. It was right after Nevermind blew up. Before that we called everything that wasn't pop/rock or metal 'underground' - stuff like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, Ramones and Misfits.

I vividly remember walking into Record Town in the mall and looking at the other teenager at the new Alternative section and both nodding and smiling.

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

There used to be a monthly magazine for college radio called CMJ New Music Monthly that came out in the 90's to early 2000's. The cool thing about it was the accompanying CD which had a great mix of signed and unsigned bands. It was a great way at the time to find new music and bands.

Here's the cd from Dec. 95 for example:
    cmj_cd-640x619.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Kriticaster, Matt G, Slip Kid and 8 others like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

College music, to me, will always be that strange mix of Woodstock, Motown, and coffee house folk with a little bit of Beach Boys thrown in. That was the college radio mix back then. Most students didn't listen to the Sunday night symphony. It was my life from 1967 to 1971, especially coffee house folk. The reality is that I've come to miss it. There was way more music of enduring quality than I imagined while living through it. Like during any era, there was an awful lot of garbage too but unlike in the student union building, I'm not forced to listen to it.

Wildcard_35, dallasblues and jhundt like this.
  6. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

I most certainly do! I started college in '92 and liked that era of rock quite a bit. Much of it had lots of Pop qualities that made em catchy and infectious.

I'm especially reminded of bands like Blues Traveler, Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Deep Blue Something, Dave Matthews Band, R.E.M., Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, Toadies, Matthew Sweet, Counting Crows, among others.

Sadly, commercial radio beat that stuff into our ear holes until we couldn't take it any more. But it was fresh, jangly, and inspiring when it first hit the airwaves. Frankly, even the worst of it is better than 99% of what is called "rock" or "pop" these days.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I have some artists under that genre in my library: Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors, R.E.M., and a few that you've listed. It's a bit pedantic but not the most pedantic thing in my library ;)

dallasblues and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking as an East Bay native, you guys were so completely and totally BEHIND the times it is just laughable! As if REM, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana were like something new, once... ever. And you are talking about 'circa 1990'? The whole entire 'punk' and 'new wave' train had been and gone by then. College radio in the rest of the nation must have been playing a very slow catch-up game.

9. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Oh great. The "I was into them before they got famous" crowd has showed up.

10. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Well, maybe.

But it took a decade for most fans to realize that Pearl Jam et al we’re not doing much of anything new - they were really more or less revivalists I suppose.

The first time I heard Alive (PJ) I was a freshman in college and had already made my way through the Hendrix care log on guitar, so I immediately recognized that the playing was nothing new.

But the return to meaningfulness in music was refreshing... more so than “She’s my cherrie pie” or worse... “She’s only 17.”????

11. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Oh yeah?

Once they plug in the new AM transmitter tower at the U of A campus then we'll see who the rube is.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have to agree. REM, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana were really kind of derivative. I don't mean that in a condescending way, but the real revolution in music was seen at Woodstock. It marked, not only a permanent change in the direction of rock, it was the music of a social revolution. At the risk of sounding political, it was unfortunately the music of a failed revolution. America is still a materialistic society and has been at war almost constantly since that time. The antimaterialists became yuppies and now drive BMW's (guilty as charged). Those who work with their hands keep falling further and further behind, and none of us trust each other enough to join hands and pull together for the common good. I'm sad for the world I'm leaving for my grandchildren.

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

true, if you are an age of going through the original punk and new wave from the 70's..it is sorta as music cycle the next generation get their thing going. The college radio reference here is post punk and new wave..it the wide open unorganized, sorta like indie is..it was a new way of getting music that wasn't being played mainstream..pre internet..where sometimes college radio was the only way to get new music..i would hear a great mix and the Jane Addictions and all those bands were such a melting pot of all genres,,

14. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Fondly, it’s how I paid for my house.

King Creole likes this.
  15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Tipp City! What a great song from a great record.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  16. Bellacaster

Yeah, I think what we are specifically talking about is the music in the 80s leading into the 90s that wasn't played on mainstream radio and how it was all lumped together into a category, be it 'underground' or 'college radio', that became Alternative music.

17. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    I wasn’t really talking about all of that. I was just talking about the section at the music store explicitly labeled “College Music” which got switched over to “Alternative” at some point.

All of my experience with college radio stations of the 80s and 90s was that there was no specific format at all. You might hear Coltrane one hour, REM the next hour, and Funkadelic the hour after that.

So I never equate college radio stations with the genre of “College Music”.

HesNot, Pixies2005 and Bellacaster like this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Yes.

Modman68 and Bellacaster like this.
  19. Bellacaster

This is a great record. I guess it's getting reissued on vinyl here soon.

Pixies2005 and jondanger like this.
  20. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I'm way older than you guys, but I classify that genre as MTV music. The stuff they played when they were still broadcasting "music videos" instead of whatever reality shows they have on now.

rich815, JL_LI and Wildcard_35 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.