1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

1984 by George Orwell. It was supposed to be science fiction when it was published in 1949, but it's a frighteningly real satire in 2017.

John Nicholas and Obsessed like this.
  2. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I read it again in 2002 for similar reasons.

drlucky likes this.
  4. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Claptons Guitar is great. And if you know luthier Wayne Henderson it's like he's in the room with you while you're reading it!

Obsessed likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I read that a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. At times the story seemed to drag along but so did that guitar builder.
    BTW, Allen St. John is (or was) a member here and was kind enough to answer specific questions about the story for me.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm about 1/4 way through Hotel California so I really can't say I'd I'd recommend it just yet but the folk/county/rock movement certainly doesn't seem to come from any slick polished promo.
    So far John Philips, David Crosby, Jackson Browne and several others retreating to excesses and inclusion in Laurel Canyon.

8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

A whole series of Alan Furst novels, and Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series.
    Excellent.

9. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

image.jpeg
    I won't get into it based on the forums political rules but it is quite enlightening and disturbing at the same time. I still haven't read Keith Richards autobiography but that is on my list in the near future.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The internet just sucked all of my interest in reading right out of me. I used to read incessantly. My younger son and I when he was going to school read all manner of books. One would read a book then the other of us would read it too. Then when I got my first computer and hooked up to the evil empire of the internet, it was gone, I have a book here that my son loaned me a couple of years ago, I try giving it back, but he says I gotta read it. It's huge, I have started on it several times, but it's so long between the last read and continuing, I start over again. I think I'm gonna do like my wife, and start off with Donald Duck and work up from there.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  11. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

American Gods by Neil Gaimon trying to finish before the tv show comes out

kidmeatball likes this.
  12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Asimov's Guide to the Bible.

13. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol: Steve Jones

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    Inspiring read.

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I'm reading Tolkein's "The Fellowship of the Ring," for perhaps the tenth time. I lost my copy a couple of years ago, and ordered another one on eBay (one of the early editions to match the rest of the books in my set).

The story is still wonderful. Peter Jackson tried very hard to destroy it in his first three movies, but couldn't quite do it. Unfortunately, he was quite successful at destroying "The Hobbit" in his final movies.

16. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

tmp_29946-91drZGFtUHL._SL1500_-1367214854.jpg

I love all sorts of history and this book made me laugh, out loud! Horwitz realises that there's a hundred and twenty eight years between Columbus and the pilgrims at Plymouth Rock and he's got little idea what happened in that time. So he goes on a road trip to retrace the first steps of European exploration/exploitation in North America. Certainly gave me a better understanding of the part the Spanish played in the exploration of Nuevo Mondo. Who knows, may even be some insights for the citizens of that great land?

17. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I can totally relate to Toto'sDad. After a lifetime of reading, I barely crack a cover any more. Trying to remedy that! Just finished this one, a compelling, informative and frightening read:

American Pain cover.jpg

thunderbyrd likes this.
  18. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I read I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons a couple months back. Fascinating life story, and thoroughly researched, at least IMO.

I always watch for Kindle bargains and got it for $1.99. Not sure if that was because it ended before he died, but it's now $14.99! I keep the old Kindle filled with a lot of "pulp" from the bargain bin, but also pick up some poetry, classics and other stuff (reading about Buddhism now, due to the Cohen book) for nothing or almost. Handy to have for those nights I find myself up for no particular reason, or the hours in a plane that happen sometimes.

19. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just read A Dog's Journey. Very good easy read if you are a dog lover.

20. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For something different, try this. A novel to slowly relish rather than gulp in one go.

The blurb is actually accurate IMHO:
    "Inspired by a surprise visitor, the elderly caretaker at a summer resort spills the beans on his entire life, from a childhood shattered by war to lost loves to his failed efforts to play the saxophone, told in relentless, pellucid detail that might puzzle thrill seekers but reads like life itself."
    "Like a more agrarian Beckett, a less gothic Faulkner, a slightly warmer Laxness ... Richly textured and wonderfully evocative ... Undeniably original."

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Treatise-Shelling-Beans-Wieslaw-Mysliwski/dp/1935744909

teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.