1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

I live in Strathclyde..
    I have just finished reading Cross dog Blues https://www.amazon.co.uk/CROSS-DOG-BLUES-Great-Story-ebook/dp/B00VQRVZHS on my kindle..I enjoyed it for the bit of escapeism that it is..

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely not! It's a straight history. There is no proselytizing at all. It's more about how the bible and the various translations evolved, the motivations behind them, and how they were used and abused politically, if anything. In fact, the author is Jewish.

From the author's Web site:

"My latest book is The Murderous History of Bible Translations. It will be published by Bloomsbury early in 2016. It's astonishing just how controversial the apparently innocent act of translating the bible has been. People have been excomunicated, ostracised and yes, even killed for it. Even once the violence subsided, as the world entered a more enlightened age, translating the Bible remained controversial. It can also be big business, as one of the final chapters shows. The whole subject is fascinating ; I am sure that you will agee that the book is well worth reading!"

"I wrote The Murderous History of Bible Translations to highlight a subject that I believe demands attention. Nearly all of us have a copy of the Bible on our bookshelves. We take it for granted that we can read it in our native language or, if we choose, in all most any other language under the sun. It is our privilege, and our right. But that wasn't always the case; translations of the Bible were not always allowed. There was a time when religious authorities banned ordinary people from reading Scripture in their own language; in case they got the ‘wrong’ ideas.

"Of course what the authorities really feared was that they would lose control. So much of religion is about dogma and not every 'official' dogma is confirmed by the Bible. There was a time when it was felt better to tell people what to believe, than to have them discover it for themselves. Those who disagreed with this approach, who felt that the Bible should be brought to the masses, risked their lives in doing so. And even now, in the modern world, when translators are no longer persecuted, their translations often remain controversial. Publishing a translation of the Bible is one of the most emotionally fraught activities one can undertake."

More info:

http://www.harryfreedmanbooks.com/murderoushistory.shtml

It's really good -- Check it out!

Undone and BigDaddyLH like this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Hiassen made me laugh: IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6692.JPG

On a more serious note:
    IMG_6693.JPG
    IMG_6694.JPG

DSharp and dogwatermike like this.
  4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

blindness.jpg

thunderbyrd and Johnson johnson like this.
  5. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

a guide to the good life.jpg

6. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I just read The Great Divorce by CS Lewis, and The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts. Both quick reads and very good. And, the two together really connected a lot of dots to me, which is weird since CS Lewis is a Christian stalwart and Watts was deemed fairly heretical.

As far as music books go, I just read Beatles vs Stones, which I can't recommend enough. It goes into awesome detail about both bands' history, aesthetic, marketing, songwriting, everything. I couldn't put it down, it was like somebody was speaking to me in a way only the nerdiest of music nerds could understand.

kidmeatball, Obsessed and thunderbyrd like this.
  7. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Just finished In Harm's Way, story of the USS Indianapolis, excellent read. Working through The Sixth Extinction (more nonfiction but also very good), Todd Snider's autobiography (hilarious), and rolling through Shogun again. I re-read all the time.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i am finishing that one myself. great read, very interesting. i had never heard/read about john bockelson and jan matthys. what a bunch of nuts!

9. thunderbyrd

no, it doesn't, it's written for a secular readership. try it, you'll like it.

10. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

Halfway through last volume of The Black Company chronicles. Definitely on my re-read list.

Thanks @soulgeezer for those two - just up my alley :)

Believer and soulgeezer like this.
  11. thunderbyrd

been looking at Danny Peary's Cult Movies volume 3 lately. recently finish a book titled something like "Einstein's Biggest Mistake", which was fun.

the major book i've read lately is "the Allure of Battle: a history of how wars have been won and lost" by Cathal J Nolan. i wish that ...fellow... over there in north korea would read this book, cause he seems to be bound to commit the mistakes of history that this book is about.

i had never read much of anything about Napoleon, the chapters dealing with him were an education.

12. thunderbyrd

i'm going to hunt this one down, sounds interesting.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been very slowly working on Man's Search for Meaning, One Man's Wilderness, and Technopoly, all very good books which deserve a better (more avid) reader than I.

College homework spoiled reading for pleasure for me, and I need to force myself to it, and I'm always surprised by how much I enjoy it when I do

14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I started The Right Stuff a few weeks before John Glenn died. Summer is hard to find time to play guitar, much less read. Edit: I could be reading right now, but I want to play a little guitar before the Mrs. Z gets home.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. Weeman333

Weeman333 TDPRI Member

Blacktooth grin. :) it's pretty good so far.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just read the book by Tommy James, "Music, the Mob and Me." Good read.

John Nicholas and drlucky like this.
  17. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just discovered the Unhuman / Inspector Hobbes series by Wilkie Martin. They're clever and well written.

jonton2 likes this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Just read, "Clapton's Guitar", by Allen St. John. It is not about Eric and I'm not a Martin fan nor do I build guitars, but this is an extremely well written book/light read about an independent luthier that is a must read for anyone into acoustics. It is more of a man cave type story with some good humor. In fact, it just might be more enjoyed by people who don't like EC.

Read it.

RodeoTex likes this.
  19. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and keep it loaded up with reading material.

Right now, I'm reading Stephen Hunter's - Point of Impact. Being a precision rifle shooter myself, makes this book somewhat interesting. The 2007 movie Shooter, was loosely based on this book.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is actually a very intelligent person otherwise our kids wouldn't have turned out so well, and been as successful in life as they are, since they got little help from this end. However she has a very dry sense of humor that if often devastating to those it's aimed at.

One such little volley was fired at a successful lady writer who wouldn't leave well enough alone. The authoress kept asking if my wife had read this book, and that book she'd had published. Finally when my wife kept replying no I haven't read that book. The authoress asked her in a haughty voice. You do read don't you? My wife looked her right in the eye and said I read Donald Duck one time. It is amazing what a well placed volley like that can do delivered in a perfectly dead pan manner. The lady never did know if my wife was dense or if she was being played.

Another such ditty was a party for a company that I worked for a long time ago. A woman had just purchased a lovely home up on the bluffs in our town. Only thing is, though you couldn't see it, and the prevailing wind didn't carry any odors to the area the woman lived in, it was near a dump though it was far below her place. Well, we were all seated at a big horseshoe shaped table, and the woman was just going on non stop with her story of how thrilled she was to be away from the riff raff. She wasn't getting what she wanted from my wife so she turned to her and asked (just as the room went quiet) you do know where Panorama Drive is don't you? My wife quick as a wink, in that dead pan manner she can call up replied. Yep, it's up by the dump!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.