1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most fascinating rock bio I've read-

elvis.png

He has done a lot more than I was aware of. It forced me to buy a whole bunch of new music.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

100K words is about 220 pages. Think typical Clancy/Child books.

80K would be about 160 would be young fiction (Potter/Twilight)

40K would be about 80-100 pages.

3. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

One of my favorite authors was Robert B. Parker. He died in 2010, but his estate has hired other authors to continue his series. Just finished Colorblind in the Jesse Stone series. Reed Farrell Coleman captures a lot of that Parker style.

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

"A Man In Full" Tom Wolfe.
    I'm about 260 pages in and it is multi-dimensional from Georgia to California.
    It's amazing that I never heard of this one - "Right Stuff" & "Bonfire" got most of the attention BUT this one seems to be the masterpiece.

7. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Last night I read Everything Trump Touches Dies. Rick Wilson is absolutely hilarious, no matter your personal leanings.

8. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Any good?

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m enjoying it very much and I’m looking forward to reading more of his books.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  10. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Whiskey when we're dry is a pretty good book. It is a western but is a good story and just came out about a week ago. A good one

11. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Just finished The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixen. The best sci-fi I have read in years. A best seller in China, translated to english, This is the first book in a trilogy. The Chinese military "accidentally" contacts an advanced alien civilization in the late '60s. Uh Oh, the aliens are leaving their doomed planet and coming here - to make earth their new home. They must sabotage human science research so that we will not be able to defend ourselves when their ships arrive in 400 years. Some insights into the China Cultural Revolution and some history, philosophy, religion, politics, and mind-bending twists on ideas in modern physics. I am looking forward to getting into the second book.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the explanation. In that case, I would rather read the 100K/220pg book rather than a series of shorter books. The latter seems more like a hassle. The only time I prefer volumes is when the book is so physically big it either falls apart at the binding or twists my wrist when I hold it. I felt that with 1Q84, which is over 900 pages but was originally published as three volumes in Japanese.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm finishing Gregg Easterbrook's "It’s Better Than It Looks". I started it a while ago and got busy with other stuff. I like the way he pokes at how wrong and negative both sides of the aisle are so much of the time. I like how he points out in spite of bad news getting so much attention, there's a lot of good. I've taken time to follow his sources.

scrapyardblue likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

"It's a Long Story : My Life" - by Willie Nelson

Reminiscences of Nelson's childhood and semi-wayward youth, his turbulent marriages and career zigzags. And of course his raison d'être, music.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The first Haruki Murakami novel I read was a library book:

[​IMG]
    And in my memory it remains my favourite. I was wondering if this was because I read it first, so recently I bought a copy. I'm half way through and it's just as enjoyable.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

The Eric Metaxas biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy) is excellent, from both a historical and a theological perspective.

I also just re-read George Orwell‘s 1984. Not the most amazing piece of writing, but a chilling and brilliant insight into totalitarianism.

I just started reading Psalms again and I am partway through the book of Mark. To me, the Bible is always great reading. [emoji119][emoji120][emoji433]

17. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

the hydra has many heads, the CIA has many techniques...

18. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I finished Eunolie, a book about black metal. It s ok, but well, it tends to turn in circles a bit.

I just started the traveller s guide to medieval England, recommended by a TDPRI poster whose name i forgot, and it looks good !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.