Anybody played a Taylor 214ce ?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by jebbo, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of trading my Gibson SG Special for a good acoustic/electric. Is the 214ce a good choice ? I've read up on them, and they look quite impressive. I know it's MIM but that doesn't bother me. It still looks like a high quality guitar. I played a MIM Taylor at Sam Ash, but it wasn't this model. It was a lovely sounding guitar, and it played well too. If anybody has any experience with this guitar I'd like to know how you like it. Should I go for this, or try for something else ?

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I just sold a Taylor 114CE which is basically the same guitar as the 214CE with slightly less cosmetics, possible a different style wood...not really sure, don't really care !

These are GREAT guitars...I happen to think that in the price range they are unbeatable. Well made, excellent players..all that...I replaced my 114CE with a 312 CE which I acquired used...as much as I love the 312 I do miss the 114, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 214 or a 114 again if the deal was right...

The 114 and 214 do not have the Expression electronics but don't let that deter you, they sound great plugged in...

Check the Guitar Center USED website, these pop up now and then for a good deal, plus full restitution on returns. Just be sure to ask a lot of questions about condition, wear etc...

get the 214, don't look back

t

PS..and yes, I have become a full fledged Taylor fan because of my experience with the 114CE... I doubt I will spend 2 grand or more on a Taylor acoustic new but I would never hesitate to pull the trigger on a great shape used Taylor, you may find if your budget is strong enough you may be able to acquire a used 3 series or 4 series for near the same price as a new 214...

3. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Try the 210 CE out as well. It's a bit brighter and retails for $999.00
    I have a 310CE and I love it. But then, I love anything Taylor makes.

4. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

The 100 series has mahogany laminate back and sides. The 200 series has rosewood laminate back and sides. That is the most significant difference.

I am currently looking at Taylor X14CE guitars. I went to GC recently and played the 114CE, 214CE, 314CE, 414CE, 514CE, 714CE and 814CE.

My favorite was the 514CE, followed by the 314CE. Very close behind those two were the 214CE and 114CE. I did not like the 414CE, 714CE or 814CE very much.

The 114CE and 214CE felt pretty much the same as the higher models, with the biggest change being a narrower neck (1-11/16 vs 1-3/4 at the nut) and the lack of binding on the neck. They both had a very nice tone, though just a touch less full than the 314CE or 514CE. Volume was comparable on the top four that I preferred.

The workmanship on all the guitars was very good, with the guitars being less ornate as the series number goes down.

Right now, I am trying to decide if the 514CE is worth $1100 more than the 314CE, or if the 314CE is worth $700 more than the 214CE. But I could also be very happy with the 100 or 200 series and am seriously considering going that route.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

I have a non-cutaway 214e. In sound and playability it beats a ton of others both in and above its price point. IMO, YMMV, blahblahblah.

6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I own a 2010 model and love it! I've owned earlier versions of the 214 that were solid wood and/or had the rosewood fretboard and bridge and thought they didn't have as much chime as the newer ones w/ ebony and arched back (no back braces). I also owned a 2009 210 that had the same materials as the new ones but found I liked the sound of the GA body better as the notes project better. I've tested the 214ce against all the more expensive Taylors at GC and for me, this is the guitar that impresses me the most. The 114 and even the 110 and Big Baby sound great as well; just not as chimey.

7. JaMmeRman

JaMmeRman Tele-Meister

The 300 series have all solid woods as opposed to laminates. I'd try and get into a 314 at least.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1

This is what stopped me when I was looking at this series. I think I tried (1) 114ce (2) 214ce's and (1) 314ce. You have to get to the $1700 314ce to get all solid woods (and some other features?). It did translate into a perceivable difference in sound; the 314ce left the 100 and 200 series versions in the dust. An amazing guitar. A transcendent experience to play whereas the 214ce is very good and high quality but not as "heavenly".

I'm not really sure how much laminate sides and back really affect things. At least it's a solid spruce top so it will get better with age. But after playing the 314ce I didn't like the 214ce enough to buy it.

It's a shame that the step up from the 214 to 314 is DOUBLE the price... but it's still worth it. I just recoil at such large sums of money. But if I had the choice of a 214 for an even trade or to trade up for a 314 I would go with the 314.

9. JaMmeRman

JaMmeRman Tele-Meister

Ya, but you can get a 300 used for around $1000. Which is totally worth it.

10. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

I was thinking of that, but I don't think it would be a fair trade. My SG for a Taylor 314ce seems a bit unfair being as the Taylor costs about $400 more. I don't think anyone would go for it. I could try though...

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have an older solid wood 214......you can't go wrong with any newer/older 214 variation.

I like satin finish. I like the feel of woodgrain therefore I like 200's more than 300's but that's just me. I have the older 214 and a newer 210E (no cutaway).

Lots of 200 love here.

12. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

when I bought my 214ce, I sat down on a stool in Guitar Center, had my wife hand me guitars one at a time.. didnt look at the price tags, after playing every acoustic in there, I narrowed it down to two Taylors and a Martin.. ended up picking the 214ce, which was about $1000, over the other two, which were both in the $3000 range. Couldn't be happier with mine.

13. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

They are very nice guitars and feel and play well however I just returned mine because I didn't like the sound plugged in. I think the pickups are better in the 300 series on up.

14. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Trust me... someone who wants a real Gibson SG and has a 300 series Taylor or up WILL jump on that offer. Lots of guys who play 95% electric buy a nice Taylor to strum when not playing electric and end up not playing them. If I was looking for a nice Gibson SG on Craigslist and saw an offer to trade for a Taylor 314 or similar (Rather have a Taylor 312 as my Taylor 612C has always been my #1 acoustic and I like smaller bodies) I would jump on it probably. Most 300 series Taylors go for $1000 or less on my local CL and most Gibson SG's are in that ballpark. You could always throw in a nice little practice amp or something to even the deal up.

I always go into Craigslist deals looking to trade "up" anyway and almost always do as long as you can wait a bit for the right trade offer. :cool:

15. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I think the used 214 is a more equitable straight across trade IMO than anything in the 300 series. That said, I personally have been wanting an SG Special, and owning a 310ce which I don't seem to bond with as much as I did when I bought it new, I am the kind of potential trade partner who might consider such a trade if the right swag (i.e., pedal(s), etc.) were included to make it work. But we live on opposite sides of the country so this all has to be hypothetical for me, as I like to play something before I decide to take it.

16. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Big fan of my 214ce. I went in with a big enough budget for a 314 or 414, but ended up liking the laminate back and sides 214 better.

Taylor does a cool thing with their laminates--they arch the back...so there's no back bracing. Some people get worried about this, but Guild did it for a while and those guitars sounded great--not to mention the many archtops out there which hold up just fine (no back bracing on those either)

It makes for a very light, punchy guitar, without a lot of overtones--which I like (some folks like all that sparkle and shimmer, but I find more complex chords get a little lost with all that)

One thing to consider--the expression system on the 3xx series and up is a better sounding pickup system than the 1xx and 2xx series have. I was able to quell the piezo "quackiness" with a Fishman Aura 16 pedal, which I already had...

Across the board, it's hard to go wrong with Taylor...they're a company that seems to get it-- lots of little things that really add up to a great guitar...and they're essentially unparalleled in the acoustic world when it comes to ease of playability...my 214 plays as easy as any of my electric guitars!

17. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

@jebbo
    Have you actually played one? What everyone here says is probably true - for them. In my experience they just weren't that good. The sound was okay but the neck profile was just too narrow for my hands and after having suffered with a Martin SR-16T I didn't want to make the same mistake. YMMV as has the majority of the posters here. IMHO, if you haven't played one [I played at least 5 or 6 and couldn't find one that spoke to me] then you really don't know. BTW - I ended up with a used Larivee for $580 out the door and haven't looked back. Like I said, YMMV.

18. jebbo

jebbo Tele-Holic

Yes I have played one, and I liked it a lot. I haven't played the 314, so I don't know the difference when it comes to feel/sound.

19. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

I guess it would come down to what you expect as a trade value for your SG. Taylor people are Taylor people - you'll always get great reviews from them on Taylors because they like that neck, look, feel, and sound. I'm not a Taylor person at all - the neck feels nice, but to me they are a completely over-priced, characterless guitar that sounds more like a synthesized acoustic - bright highs, and not much else. When you get up in the 8 range you're in a beautiful sound, but that would cost a fortune.

I don't know what the market is in the States for used SG's - up here you'd get about a $900 - $1000 trade value out of one. That should put you in the 300 series if you are happy with that sound. There are many other options that I would consider in that range before a 200 or 300 level Taylor - a Larrivee D03 or L03, for instance. There are many others worth consideration - I'm just of the opinion that you can't beat Larrivee in the price range you're playing with. In any case, if you're stuck on Taylor, I would hold out for at least a 300 level, or better yet, add a little coin and go 400.

20. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Here's me on my 214ce with brand new elixers

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.