Anybody order tubes from Ukraine lately?

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
A few days ago I decided to take a chance on getting some Svetlana 6F3P tubes for an amp that uses the 6BM8. Price was right…except ebay vendor (Sovtube) is in the Ukraine. Haven’t gotten a shipping notification yet. If I don’t get them and lose my money entirely, it won’t be a huge deal, but yep I would sure like to be able to use them. Anybody gotten any from the Ukraine lately? Vendor has a whole bunch of transactions and 100% positive feedback, it’s that little ongoing skirmish that has me wondering.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Probably they'll arrive before you're notified. I've bought tubes from there - they take a while to arrive but they will.

milocj

Friend of Leo's
I have, twice since the invasion. One of those was an ebay transaction and the other from a website that appeared to be one of those smaller places that would be within the US (perfect spelling and use of English) that when I got my Paypal receipt was from some type of Ukrainian Relief Fund in the Ukraine.

I chalked the second one up as something that would be a full "donation" but ended up getting both orders with no issues. One of them took a while to ship and get a notification.

Blue82DC63

TDPRI Member
In the last few months, I have done five eBay orders of tubes from Ukraine with three different sellers. I normally get a shipping notice very quickly and the status shows up as "Foreign Acceptance" at the post office in Kiev. Then the item sits for 2-4 weeks. After that it arrives in New York and gets to me within a couple of days. Total shipping time has varied from 3 weeks to 5 weeks. I placed an order last week and didn't get a shipping notice for three days. That was the longest it has ever taken.

tubeToaster

Tele-Meister
@PhoenixBill I ordered 18 6P14P-K on July 27th from a Ukrainian ebay seller. Received a tracking number on August 1st and best I can tell they are still sitting in the post office in Kiev. Estimated delivery is August 17th so I’m patiently waiting like you. I’ll post here when I receive them.

tubeToaster

Tele-Meister
The tubes I ordered were used but cheap. 18 tubes for around $30 including shipping. I tested all of them in my 5 watt single ended el84 amp. 3 of them are crackling and one of the 3 is arcing. In the trash those will go but I’m still averaging $2 a tube.

They sound really good clean and overdriven.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I have not yet tried but I have read HiFi builders do heat treatment in an oven for tubes. Perhaos they are for NOS which have not been used for decades? If tube is worn this might be worthless but if vacuum is not good it might help? You should find instructions of temperature and time needed?

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I ordered 18 EL84's waiting for them to arrive. they have left Kiev and have cleared customs, should be here very soon ,
I will give a full report once I get them
Svetlana are made in the same factory as EHX and Tung-sol in St Petersburg Russia EHX bought the rights to manufacture the tubes.
the basic differences in the these tubes is the internal coating inside the tubes , but the manufacture process is the same

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Svetlana are made in the same factory as EHX and Tung-sol in St Petersburg Russia EHX bought the rights to manufacture the tubes.
the basic differences in the these tubes is the internal coating inside the tubes , but the manufacture process is the same
Everything you wrote is wrong, but I don't feel like explaining it; look it up.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
sorry if i miss lead you but.....

Electro Harmonix bought the rights to manufacture Svetlana branded valves which are now manufactured in the world’s largest valve/ tube factory in , Saratov Russia. However the brand licence is limited to a few countries and this excludes almost all of Europe.
While ValveTubeGuitarAmps would love to be able to stock these valves, we are not allowed to directly import them into the UK. The only option is to buy in the “grey’ market and the issues with doing this is that it leaves us open to receiving valves on unknown origin and possibly even fakes. Yes- there is a whole industry out there faking valves !

For several years the original Svetlana 12AX7 tube from St. Petersburg (Winged “C”/SED) tried to develop a good 12AX7 and mostly failed. The current production Svetlana 12AX7 is a New Sensor product and is a member of 12AX7-EH and Tung-Sol 12AX7 family. All three of these tubes is virtually identical. The biggest difference seems to be in plate coating, gain and sound quality.

Assembled by hand in the Reflektor factory in Saratov, Russia, new production Tung-Sol tubes reflect the best in vintage Tung-Sol construction with unsurpassed tone and reliability.

Last edited: