Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1456098662.182128.jpg

I picked up this second hand CV BSB a few weeks ago. I've changed the neck pickup to a Goldfoil from Mojo pickups.

I love the tone of Goldfoil pickups for slide (a la Ry Cooder / Blake Mills), and have wanted to learn how to change pickups for a while. The CV was the perfect opportunity!

After a few rookie mistakes it's done and I'm really happy with the results :)

Lead2Fan likes this.
  2. Rahja

Rahja TDPRI Member

On the subject of upgrades,... last year I joined you-all and purchased a Squier CV 50s Tele. I love the way it sounds and plays -- but the stock vintage-style tuners are so loose and imprecise that they are just begging to be replaced (some of the pegs turn up to 1/4 turn before they engage the mechanism to tighten or loosen the string!). Wondering if anyone who has done it can recommend upgraded, higher-quality tuners that are drop-in replacements for the stock tuners? As much detail as you can provide would be appreciated (i.e. brand, part number, hyperlink, etc...)! Thanks for your help and experience!

3. orcslayer

orcslayer TDPRI Member

I replaced the stock Switch with a 4 way - the extra position allowed me to have both pups combined in Series. Very useful sound, Gibson-like but still has some Fender character. Also I changed the pups to Texas Specials, which warmed up the sound & added more punch.

Orc

4. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm a little surprised at what you say regarding the tuners, as they are (or at least used to be when the CV line came out) the same Fender-Ping items used on many MIM and other models. The ones on my 2008 CV50 in VB are fine, and I use that guitar professionally. Still, if yours are unsatisfactory I'd recommend the Gotoh Kluson-alikes as fitted to the US vintage-style Fenders. They'll be available from the usual suspects such as WD, Allparts, etc. and should fit without modification. Just google "Kluson-type tuners for Fender" and a variety of sources should appear. The Fender-branded ones I bought from Allparts a few years ago are actually Gotohs. Wilkinson tuners of a similar design are also available but I suspect that they may be re-badged Pings. Probably perfectly OK, but just so you know. Buy cheap, buy twice...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Rahja likes this.
  5. olie

olie TDPRI Member

Just have to say, after reading about a million posts-if Squier put out a totally modded version someone here would re-mod it back to what is currently "stock" and it'd be exactly the same as what you now get from the factory. And folks'd be going gaga over the "mods". Just human nature I guess. The pursuit of perfection?

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I'd probably be one of them... in fact, when I bought my VB CV the seller asked me if I was interested in the original neck and pickguard. He kept his aftermarket neck and sold me the guitar at a cheaper price... and how I love that original neck....

7. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Haven't heard of the Brierley pickups before, I must check them out. You still rate them?

8. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Yep.

My CVC first received a CV neck.

Then it got the Broadcaster/ Twisted Tele pickup combo.

Then it got a HipShot Will Ray Hellebender B/G Double Bender.

Next it will be getting a 4 or 5 way switch and new pots and jack.

After that I'll be finishing it off with a bigger maple neck. Something like a TMO-V, TMO-FAT, AV52, Baja, or Brad Paisley neck.

9. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Mine is still stock, love it. But the one thing that doesn't blow me away is the neck pickup. What should I get?? Thanks.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. A lot. It's essentially a partscaster now.

Gold-Bronze CVC FSR body, replacement '60s Classic Player neck, USA hardware, Custom Shop 'guard, Fender USA '62 pickups and electrics. I had a thing about aged Inca Silver but then this CVC came a long and I dug the unique colour.
    I love it.

IMG_5083.JPG

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

^^ cool color!^^

rze99 likes this.
  12. rze99

Thanks. They made very few of these FSR Gold/Bronze and it was not available in the US. I think I got the last one in the UK after seeing someone on this site with one and really chasing one down on the web. It's a very light source sensitive colour. Sometimes it looks dark gold, other times charcoal, silver. Tungsten can look similar. But it is a unique Fender/Squier colour, I think.

KelvinS1965, richey88 and Tony474 like this.
  13. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

Here's mine....although the only real CV part is the body..

20170823_225644.jpg

- CV body
    - Fender Classic 50's neck
    - Kluson tuners
    - Fender pat. pending bridge & saddles
    - 500k cts pots and switch
    - Custom Shop Texas Special bridge pickup
    - Seth Lover PAF humbucker
    - an old white pickguard that has turned to a nice off-white over the past 10 years that I routed out with a dremel to fit the humbucker

Love it! Just wish it wasn't so damn heavy

rze99 likes this.
  14. TonyAsh

TonyAsh TDPRI Member

Long time reader, first time poster. I just purchased parts to upgrade my Classic Vibe Tele in butterscotch blonde, which is easily one of my favorite guitars. The tuners are great and are staying put. Open chords resonate and sustain like no other guitar I've ever played, and the action/intonation is fantastic, so the stock nut, bridge and saddles are also staying. The stock Alnico 5 neck pickup is also staying where it is, because it sounds awesome. Soon to be upgraded parts include:

-Manlius Broadcaster Alnico 3 bridge pickup (https://www.manliusguitar.com/products/broadcaster)
    -Switchcraft output jack and Electrosocket jack mount
    -Oak Grigsby 4-way switch (adding the both pickups in series option, which should be cool)
    -0.047 and 0.001 Orange Drop capacitors
    -CTS 250K volume pot
    -CTS 250K push/pull tone pot (this will, when pulled to the up position, take the tone control and capacitor out of the circuit for the bridge pickup, for some approximation of position 1 on an Esquire)
    -all of the wiring
    -new white pickguard (I already have a white guard on mine, but it's slightly warped)
    -new chrome control plate (to accommodate the CTS pots without enlarging the holes in the original)
    -new dome knobs

Most of this is just the Premium Tele 4-Way wiring kit from StewMac (http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...ing_Kit_for_Telecaster_with_4-way_Switch.html)

Looking forward to hearing and playing it once the new parts go in, which will be just under a month. In the meantime, here's a photo of my CV:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  15. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

1505513223672.jpg

Added a flat bridgeplate, blackguard, bone nut and upgraded the tone pot and cap. Plan on a while vintage style rewiring, pickups and tuning heads.

Bruxist likes this.
  16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Looks great!

Is that a gloss or matte pickguard and is it beveled? I am thinking about a black 1ply for mine and am trying to decide.

17. Bruxist

Gorgeous! Looks kinda like my pewter strat.

rze99 likes this.
  18. rze99

Cheers. Yes pewter is similar in many respects. I can't take a photo of this where the body looks gold but it sometimes does to the naked eye. A real chameleon.

Bruxist likes this.
  19. Bruxist

My pewter strat is the same. And now that it is approaching 30 it has a little green to it.

rze99 likes this.
  20. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

It's the Fender 52 RI replacement. Goes right on, all holes line up. Thanks man. Thinking new pickups for more clarity higher output. 62 RI bridge 52 RI neck

Bruxist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.