anybody likes vintage looks with modern playability?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheRover9, Aug 13, 2020.

1. TheRover9

TheRover9 TDPRI Member

I have been feeling increasingly attracted to refinishing my Am Pro with the looks of a 1958 Tele. The transpararent white blonde looks so appealing. I know that the whole poly finish stripping is a pain but I love the wood grain in my tele and also would prefer to have a vintage style decal just for the looks. I tried playing an American Original 50s tele but the neck shape was not my thing. I very much prefer the modern C of my Am Pro. Opinions?

Tonetele and ben smith like this.
  2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I like it the other way round. :lol:

3. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Makes total sense to me. Not easy to pull off. That poly is tough but it seems a worthwhile project

charliebrown51 likes this.
  4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I totally get your desire to have a certain aesthetic vibe from your guitar, but in my experience the end results can be disappointing - depending on your patience, finishing skills, etc.

I once tried to refinish a Tele body that was dark blue. After stripping the old finish off I sprayed it with nitrocellulose Butterscotch paint and, for whatever reason, it turned out having an "olive drab" tint to it. My theory is that the original blue finish somehow leeched into the new top coat - which would be weird since I sealed it beforehand. Needless to say that didn't work out the way I planned...

Besides all that, the time it takes to pull it off can be daunting and, to a certain degree, can significantly distraction one from actually playing. Only you can say whether it's worth the time and potential frustration, but, for me, I've had my fill of modding guitars and just want to play them these days.

Sure, I've done a lot of this type of thing and I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying. And, granted, it can be a fun hobby too, just keep in mind that you will be permanently changing it, so if there's any sentimental value in it at all, I'd think twice about it if I were you (not to mention the hit on resale value). In that sense, perhaps you'd be better off selling it and getting something better suited to your liking.

As for me?

These days I'd prefer buying one ready to play rather than going through all that rigmarole again myself. But to each their own, and if you do decide to move forward on this little venture, well then...

Good Luck!

`

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Gaz_ likes this.
  5. charliebrown51

charliebrown51 TDPRI Member

It is, indeed tough. Friend was determined to have a CAR finish Strat, so I stripped it (Aircraft Stripper). Gawdawful job. Painting was the easy part. 6 weeks to cure before I could sand/polish. Had a nice Vintage/closet - classic vibe when it was done. I'd never do another strip/refinish on a poly - coated guitar. I "might" use the existing finish as a base coat and spray over it...maybe.

nomadh and TheRover9 like this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My Jag ended up vintage spec from the neck neck down, with a 9.5” neck and a Staytrem bridge. I completely get the attraction.

3D8C4112-5C7F-444A-82B4-2195C15F1B40.jpeg

Personally I’d stash the Am Pro body and make it a (reversible) partscaster. The easier way!

7. TheRover9

TheRover9 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply, mate. I know it is more work than it is worth but I was thinking of keeping the micro-tilt option in the body and easier truss rod access in the neck. I think that the only guitar with sentimental value is the first real guitar that my dad got me when I was first learning. I bought the tele once I got a job and would like to make it my own.

Anyway, it might also be easier to sell the Tele and buy another tele or a separate body and neck

AxemanVR likes this.
  8. TheRover9

TheRover9 TDPRI Member

Sweet Jaguar! I think you are right about building a parscaster. It is way easier.

9. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I like vintage looks, vintage frets, vintage playability. Stop giving these guys at Fender ideas!

dannyh likes this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Kinky!

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Now you put it like that, I'm surprised my original flippant post (that genuinely only referred to guitars, your Honour), didn't get me yet another ban.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Swytch and AAT65 like this.
  12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If Mark Twain was among us, he’d be playing a “Vintage Modified Squier.”
    ...every time something gets altered from its’ OEM state it drops in value - there are actually people in this vintage thing who are forging solder so it looks pristine and
    untouched like its’ been sitting on Funk & Wagnalls front
    porch with Gloria and Abigail watching it since 1957.

Three months ago I saw something I thought was real, it even smelled real, really real.
    And I couldn’t tell, maybe that’s the new high water mark
    for “tribute.”

“Please pass the hide glue.”

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Sorry to draw attention to it! Oh well, we’ll get banned together now!

14. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

That’s what the whole Wildwood Thin Skin thing is about: otherwise vintage spec’d guitars but with a modern radius, frets, and pickups.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

My tele looks vintage at first glance. Modern touches include Sperzel gears and a compound radius neck as well as pickups, caps, etc. Light relic body in black was pulled from a R/W Player.

TheRover9 likes this.
  16. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

YES!
    [​IMG]

Matthias and TheRover9 like this.
  17. TheRover9

TheRover9 TDPRI Member

Sweet strat!! what series is this?

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If the wood grain looks and sounds good- show it off!!:)

19. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Somewhat...I love vintage specs for the most part.

I hate 7.5” radius and all ways have.
    This turned me off from fenders for many years.
    Anything baseball bat neck size, and 12” is perfect for me.

Glad fenders radius spec generally changed.
    Also like compensated saddles.

Other than that, I like vintage specs.

20. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

This is my wheelhouse. If you're like this too, you'll probably like the American Original series of Telecasters.

I'm weird (apparently) in that I believe that some Telecaster vintage features are advanced, and some modern features are regressions that I hate and wish had never happened. Here's how it breaks down for me:

Vintage good: Kluson split-shaft tuners, Alnico pickups (with fewer windings), nitrocellulose finishes, clay dot fretboard markers, through-the-body stringing, neck heel truss rod access, 4-bolt neck plate, U-shape or '60s C-shape neck

Vintage bad: Bridge design, top loading bridge, tiny frets, 7.25" fretboard radius

~~

Modern good: 6105 or jumbo frets, 9.5" fretboard radius, gloss neck finishes, "modern" 3-way switching, intonatable/adjustable bridges

Modern bad: Schaller or locking tuners, "modern" C-shape oval neck, "bullet" headstock truss rod access, 3-bolt neck plate, "noiseless" pickups, "hot" pickups, treble bleed pots, S-1 switches, poly finishes, block fretboard markers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    logans_tele and Chipss36 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.