1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

anybody know where to find a G taper potentiometer?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by doof, Jun 28, 2015.

1. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Hi everyone.

I have a boss DF-2 with a broken Overtone potentiometer. I took it apart and the marking says "M10KG". the G was confusing me since i hadn't seen that before in my limited experience, so i looked for a schematic and according to this:
    http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/pdf/4076.pdf

it is indeed a 10K G taper potentiometer. despite my best googling efforts, i can't find any for sale. Anybody know anything that could help me? thanks!

2. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

i have seen A thru F commonly. and some of these are not very common AT ALL.

if you can measure the existing one using a protractor as seen below, i can point you in the direction of something reasonably close.
    [​IMG]

3. doof

doof Tele-Holic

thanks for getting back to me! i'll have to remember to pick up a protractor next time i'm at walmart, haven't had one of those since high school haha

4. John Coloccia

John Coloccia TDPRI Member

The G taper (graphic taper) is kind of funny. It's 50% resistance in the middle, log on one side and anti-log on the other. I can't quite remember how it's configured (there's another taper configured the exact opposite way too), but I believe it's basically linear but a bit sluggish towards the middle, and the resistance change speeds up as you get to the edges. If it's the other way around, it will be linear but a bit quick to change in the middle, and the response will slow down towards the edges.

Either way, you might simply try replacing it with a linear pot as I think you'll have a very hard time finding a G taper unless you get it right from BOSS (which you could try). It won't have quite the same feel to it, so you'll have to update your settings, but it won't be nearly as bad as replacing a log pot with a linear, for example. It should be close enough to give you a reasonable feel on that pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.