1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody know what goes on inside a telescope?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Apr 15, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well Charlie, you're probably familiar with trying to fix an old engine that 1) has three unrelated broken parts, 2) is missing five parts you've never seen before, 3) was repaired by a duct tape salesman, 4) somebody modded it with parts that don't fit, and 5) has not run in many years.

My guess, and I could be wrong, is that you might find it easier to figure out a complete working but complicated machine easier than an incomplete broken modded but simple machine!

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I don't think the angle components contain additional focusing lenses, but they DO extend the barrel length. The telescope is designed with this length in mind, and when you put your purchased eyepiece in directly where the original angled diagonal was supposed to go first, the length of the barrel isn't going to be long enough to have the image at the focal point of the eyepiece and it will indeed be hopelessly blurry. So you need to find the 90 degree or 45 degree diagonal that it came with to get the total barrel length right. Or, you could just make your own straight tube but you need to work adapters on it and get its length just right. Also, as @wrvond points out, using that 4mm objective you bought will work but it makes things very sensitive and also things will be dimmer with the high mag.

I'd try to first find the missing part(s), get it reassembled and working, and then if finding the missing part(s) didn't include also finding the 9mm and 25mm eyepieces, decide for yourself whether it's worth getting another eyepiece so that your 8 year old might find interesting things to look at in the sky, but also around the landscape. Get 'em interested in STEM early, it will reward them for the rest of their lives.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  3. ChuckC

ChuckC TDPRI Member

The two lens work together as as a color correcting, "chromatic objective lens".The two lens need to be aligned properly,look for register marks on the edges of the lens. You should use the telescope outside of the house, a telescope will not focus through a window. Most common window glass is not optically flat enough to allow a telescope to focus properly while looking out through the window. The eyepiece you show has a very short focal length (4mm), and may exceed the magnification for the small diameter of the objective lens you have. Looks like about a 2.5" diameter objective lens. Is the scope's focal length marked any place on the tube. The power of a telescope is calculated by dividing the objective's focal length by the eyepiece focal length. You should only try to magnify at most about 50x power per inch of objective diameter.Also,That scope might not work because that lens you show is chipped and likely scattering the light/image.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Buckocaster51 likes this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like a lot of effort to fix. I got my daughter one of these cheap reflectors

https://www.celestron.com/products/firstscope-telescope

Really good quality for price. She got a couple of extra standard eyepieces for it to increase its magnification.

She loves looking at star clusters / Messier objects through it

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-messier-1to10.html

Great to look at Jupiter’s moons or the details on the surface of our moon.

Got her this book too.. ‘Turn Left at Orion’ which has directions to find lots of interesting objects.

charlie chitlin likes this.
  5. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Telescopes are not unlike guitars. Sometimes you can’t fix a basket case and you do get what you pay for!
    My suggestion: start over, do your homework, learn a new hobby while teaching your young ones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DDW9UW/?tag=tdpri-20

6. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Things don’t get bigger, they just get closer!

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'll try to get a pic if you're interested in seeing it.

wrvond likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You forgot about the mice in the air cleaner

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Wikipedia is a really good place to get highly technical information on questions like this.

10. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Reminds me of the time a baby mouse fell out of the wheel well of my truck. Investigation led me to the airbox which, when opened, revealed a mouse nest with mice and a snake feasting on the mice. :eek:

charlie chitlin likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh right!
    After six hours of fiddling and wrenching it finally starts so you close the hood and take it for a spin around the block only too see smoke because the mice nest is on fire!

Acorn shells also make great kindling!
    And the Maine chipmunks prefer to nest inside the black box which means no run/ no burn!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.