Anybody know these guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Jun 3, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, actually, there are three guitars in the pic, but I'm mainly interested in/stumped by the thinline electric in the foreground and the acoustic on the left.

My wife actually sent me a link to an advertised estate sale being held starting tomorrow here in town. (I just bought a guitar 16 days ago. The lady must really love me!) I'm planning on going tomorrow, but I'd like to know what I'm looking at, and if possible, research it before I get there.

The thinline looks more or less familiar, but I can't read the logo on the headstock, and just don't know what it is.

I am curious also about the acoustic on the left. The bridge and the parallelogram position markers look Gibson-esque/Epiphone-ish, but the pickguard is wrong.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

upload_2020-6-3_16-20-26.png

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know, but I'd take them.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

The pickguard on an acoustic really means nothing. I just replaced the one on my Yamaha 12 string. They just peal off and stick on with adhesive.

Stubee and LGOberean like this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Gonna be extremely difficult for anyone to say without a much better quality photo.

5. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I'm no expert! But...

The bridge shape and inlay on the acoustic is generally consistent with a Dove, as are the neck inlays. It also appears to be a 70-ish adjustable saddle. However, the b/s are clearly not maple, so...
    My guess is MIJ knockoff of Dove/Hummingbird.

[​IMG]

The red thing looks like a knock-off of a Martin GT-75 or F-65.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LGOberean

The thought of someone swapping out a pickguard had occurred to me, but I guess I figured that there might be telltale signs if that had been done. When I saw that bridge, I immediately thought "Dove," but again thought it might be some knockoff, not a Gibson or an Epi. And I can't see enough of the headstock to be of much help.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That one is a dulcimer... that’s all I got.

Archtop Bill, Obsessed and LGOberean like this.
  8. LGOberean

Yeah, unfortunately, the pics I got aren't quality. My wife sent me a link. She and a friend are on this mailing list for local/area estate sales, and the pics weren't great. Here's the only other pic showing the guitars, and they're not any better, I'm afraid.

upload_2020-6-3_17-27-54.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

This one is a MIJ 'Minister' brand, but the logo is very different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dobronaut and LGOberean like this.
  10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think it’s a Liberty MT-280, which is a copy of a Martin GT 75. I thought I recognised the shape, but that was from the original Martin and found the Liberty with some digging.

eclecticsynergy and LGOberean like this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

LGOberean likes this.
  12. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't that Weissenborn'ish' guit fiddle on the next chair pique your interest too?

looks like the lady is selling off her late husbands instruments.
    buy 'em all for a good offer, sort it later.

makes one think of "what's gonna happen to all my instruments" when I kick the bucket?

nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah.....and it could happen BEFORE you kick the bucket if you don't pay attention! ;););)

Alamo likes this.
  14. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've seen these styling cues for the semi in some vintage Japanese electrics - these are Stafford models
    Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 23.50.54.png Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 23.57.54.png

15. LGOberean

Thanks for all the help, y'all. It looks to me like the Liberty MT-280 is the most likely candidate. Here is a pic I found of a green burst one, followed by the second pic I posted above (comment #8). The estate sale pic is blurry, but it looks like that "Liberty" brand on the headstock of that green burst MT-280.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the thin line electric is a Framus? This was a German brand that went bankrupt in the 1970’s. I believe Bill Wyman played a Framus bass back in the 1960’s.

17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

+1 Liberty

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  18. LGOberean

Okay, an update...sort of...

The estate sale began at 7 this morning. I didn't go. My wife is on a mailing list put out by a lady running her estate sale business. The sale was advertised for today and tomorrow. My wife informed me that the way these things go, prices today will be what you would expect to find in a "boutique" resale shop. Tomorrow, they should be priced half of that, and by the end of the day, make an offer.

I decided since there was nothing here that I was GASing for to begin with, I'd take the chance that the guitars will still be there tomorrow. If they do sell, I won't be heartbroken. If they don't sell and are still there 24 hours from now, then I might snag a bargain.

That Liberty MT-280 (or whatever it is) looks ugly to me, so unless it plays like a dream and more importantly sounds like the dulcet tones of heaven, I would only be buying it to flip it, so I'd want to get the best deal I possibly can. The two acoustics, particularly that "Dove" knockoff, might be fun to have. But again, unless they're something really sweet, I'd be buying them to flip them.

So, I'm okay with taking my chances waiting. Tomorrow morning, my wife has her morning free, and she can go with me and look around for her kind of stuff. (Truthfully, I can't tell you what "kind of stuff" she'd be looking for. She's always telling that there's two things wrong with me: I don't listen; and...something else. :oops::twisted:) So we'll go to an estate sale, then I'll take her to breakfast. If I come back having scored a guitar or two, I'll report back. If not, then no news is...no news. :rolleyes:

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Cool! Keep us posted!

The bridge on that Dove knockoff behind the Liberty has a really mid-70s Alvarez vibe.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  20. LGOberean

Okay, just got back from that estate sale. Things took an unexpected turn, but I did come home with something (as did my wife).

I didn't go out to it this morning, as I originally intended. It was my fault; I got to playing guitar, and before I knew it, 2 hours had gone by. I was planning to take my wife to lunch, so I showered and dressed to actually get out of the house for a change, then waited for her call. As it turned out, she worked through the lunch hour until she was finished. She then picked me up for us to go to a late lunch. After that, she wanted to go with me to the estate sale. (She's the one that's on their mailing list, and was just curious as to what she might find.)

This was the second and final day of the sale, and walking into the house, a sign announced that all items were marked half off. The Liberty MT-280 (or whatever) and the Dove knockoff were both gone, so I'll never know what those were. But there was one more guitar...

...an Esteban American Legacy #AL-100 acoustic/electric. It came with the accompanying Esteban G-10 amp, a pretty good gig bag and some case candy. I was disappointed that was all that was left, but I quickly tuned it to itself just to see how it played. The guitar itself wasn't too bad. It desperately needed new strings, but it was playable. There was a 9V battery in the case, but when I put it in, it was dead. Later, I put a working battery in it, and everything worked. The amp sounds like what you would expect, but it works.

They had a $195 price tag on the whole thing (guitar, gig bag, amp, case candy). And since the sign said "Half off," I was expecting $97.50. The first price out of their mouths was an offer for $80. I hesitated, then turned it down. I started to pay for my wife items, and they threw another offer out there: $50. I hesitated again, but my wife actually encouraged me to buy it, so I did. I figured that I could either flip the guitar and amp for whatever I can get, or else use it as a beach/camping guitar.

The case candy was surprising when I started looking through it. (I forgot to take a picture of that stuff.) There were several guitar strings, singles, Black Diamond brand. I haven't played those or even seen them in years. There was also a set of D'Addario strings in there, as well as a Snark headstock tuner, an instrument cable, and a strap. So whatever I do with the guitar in the long run, probably a worthwhile purchase.

End of report. And here are the pics, because it did happen...:twisted:

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PeterUK, Jakedog and Matthias like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.