1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody know the truss rod length for a mustang bass?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by milkshape, May 10, 2014.

1. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Anybody know the truss rod length for a mustang bass? Or know where I can get a dual action rod specifically for a 30 inch scale bass?

I have begun building a mustang Bass, 30 inch scale. This will be my my first neck build. I have completed my master and build templates for the neck. I started thinking about about the truss rod slot, whether to go traditional or dual action. I've decided to go dual action and adjust at the bridge end of the neck. It occurred to me that the truss rod is most likely a non standard length. The length from the nut to the end is like 20 1/2 inches, and from drawings I have seen the slot for dual action rods run from 1/8 to a 1/4 inch in front of nut to the end, this would be 20 1/4 inches. I've seen places where I can get 19 inch rods but this seems just a little too short. Is that enough of a difference to worry about?

Thanks for looking
    Milkshape

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I cut and welded the full size, dual action, (34") bass truss rod I got from bitterroot to use in my 2014 build challenge short scale (30") bass build. I think mine was 19 1/4 when all done but as long as it reaches to between the first fret and nut I think you should be fine.

Post some pics along the way - I like those mustangs
    _________
    Jeff

Attached Files:

3. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Thanks 2blue2, good solution. I will check out the build, and post picks of my slow progression. I am thinking about making the bass 1 3/4 inches thick. Just because the alder I have hanging around is that dimension, pros and cons? Besides simply more weight ;)

In the mean time here's a mustang esquire hybrid I did. Was looking to get 3 things I did not have, top loader (after admitting Creston was right I have not spent quality time with a top loader), short scale, and eldred mod esquire.

Be good,
    Milkshape

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.