Anybody know DiMarzio Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Mark the Moose, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I’ve got an EJ Custom neck that I love, but the bridge was too weak and too thin. I tried a Duncan JB in the bridge but it’s weak in the bass and just got too much mid/hi-mid honk. I’m consider in a Fortitude, which is much like the 36th PAF bridge, but the only sound samples are metal...I’m more of a low/mid overdrive guy.
    If I stick with SD in the bridge I’m considering a Custom 5 or a 59... but out of sheer vanity I would like to match the cream color of the EJ Custom.

Any help?

2. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

A Custom 5 is seriously tight in the bass with no honk to speak of. It is great for guitars with a mid 'problem', or if you don't like honky pickups. It is about twice as powerful as a 59. A 59/Custom Hybrid has about 1.3x the power of a 59 and has that same scooped EQ.

3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

looking for double cream humbucker?

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Bluesbucker, but it is kind of middy. I turn down the mids a bit on my amp or pedal.

As far as double cream, you can get any of them like that if you order from a serious dealer. Small local stores will have just black mostly.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

DiMarzio AT-1 is a great bridge humbucker. Similar in output to a JB but tighter and fatter. It can still rip for leads when you want. It does have the typical DiMarzio mids but they're vowel tones, not nasal mids like a JB

As for Duncans, I've always felt the Perpetual Burn is like a JB with tighter lows and less midrange hump. And the PB cleans up quite well with the guitar's volume knob, something the JB just won't do.

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've grown away, somewhat, from humbuckers in recent years, preferring the clarity and sparkle of single coils and Gretsch-style pickups.

That said, when it comes to Gibson/PAF-style humbuckers, the Dimarzio PAF Masters are awesome pickups. They have excellent clarity, they are articulate, and sparkly bright. I think I'd have to say that they're my favorite Gibson-style humbuckers, followed by Gibson Classic '57s.

I've used them in a Gibson Les Paul Standard
    [​IMG]

And a few Teles, as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can definitely recommend PAF Masters to anyone wanting clarity, detail, and high-end sparkle from a Gibson-style humbucker.

They are available with creme or black bobbins, regular or f-spaced pole pieces, with and without covers. And, the price is right!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Before pulling the JB I'd suggest lower the EJ a good amount just under the low E side of the pickup, turn up the bass at the amp until it matches up the bass you lost lowering the neck pickup bass side, and cut the mids at the amp. Also maybe raise the JB under the low E if it's not already up close there.
    This will give the JB more bass and less mids without and soldering!
    If that's not enough you gotta solder but the complaint of not enough bass from a bridge HB can generally be solved with judicious pickup adjustment.
    Nasal mid hump is harder to solve but if the amp has a useful mids control you can reduce that JB honk by adding bass with both pickups, and generally the JB has plenty of treble.

Mark the Moose likes this.
  8. Mark the Moose

I,be tried some different amp settings and pickup adjustments but haven’t been able to dial it in. It’s a 335 style semi-hollow and I’m going to pull the electronics to replace a bad tone pot, so I figured now is the time to make the pickup swap and add a treble bleed to the neck pickup. I may try to set up a quick connect plug so pickups can be rolled without pulling the switch

9. telemnemonics

Haha yeah I’m heading toward the third pickup arrangement in a semi hollow and they are on quick connect plugs but I have no extra plugs.
    Where are you going to buy those plugs?
    I haven’t searched much but vendors seem to think they have high value items when they probably cost five cents to make.

10. Mark the Moose

might poke around an auto parts store for something that will work.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

61FF4702-797D-4025-950F-10BCD06B93D6.jpeg Here’s my neck pickup angle that allows me to turn up the bass on the amp for some more low mids with less boom.
    That would add bass to your JB but it may not be to your liking regardless.
    I find Mech HB boomy bass totally unusable and this one is as low output a HB as has ever been made.

12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've been using the quick connect plugs with my semi-hollow and full hollow-body electrics to enable pickup changes without needing to re-access the pots. I sourced the connectors on eBay and they were very reasonably priced.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.