Anybody here worked with Wudtone a lot?

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister
I don't like making threads like this because they're boring as there's no real discussion that generally takes place, so I apologize in advance.

I'm looking to "PM" or private message someone who really is experienced in finishing "Wudtone-style" and it would be pretty cool if they know a variety of their finishes, and what works and what probably doesn't. I'm trying to decide what variety of colours would work best to match the finish I'm thinking of.

Anyone who wants to take time out of their day to PM me because they think they can help, I really appreciate it! I appreciate you all actually, so thanks for making this forum awesome.

pi

Tele-Meister
It would be even better to have the discussion out in the open so we can all learn from it.

I've looked at Wudtone and was intrigued to try it, but found little practical info on it.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
nice site - new to me
7-1024x455.jpg

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister
It would be even better to have the discussion out in the open so we can all learn from it.

I've looked at Wudtone and was intrigued to try it, but found little practical info on it.

Sorry! Glad to here there's others out there that want to know about this amazing company too! So forget about the whole PM thing (unless you still want to do that too)-- vive la discussion!

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister
Ok so I'll start, I wanted to get this finish at first:
246809769_349203780331597_1356035671907967306_n.jpg

Not the "dark side" (;)) but the light side. But that's rreaaallyy too pale for what I'm thinking I realize, so I'm going for this now:
Unknown.jpeg

This but with a lot more grain showing would be incredible.
The body is incredible in terms of grain (and everything really) so all I got to do is make sure they pop, and Wudtone is pretty great for that (it's a stain, so it lets the natural texture of the wood out). You can get grain filler to not have that texture but I personally like it, so it's going to be a big part of the finish.
image0.jpg

*PS* I'm underlining the questions/things I'm not sure about, makes it easier for those who do actually know what their doing to see what they can help me in (thanks again!!)

I emailed about the first finish (not the second more golden one) Wudtone and they said for that first one, they would go for a Honey base coat and then some Saffron "hi intensity" dye along with some Olympic Girl (that's fancy for white). They didn't really tell me how to use these two dye's, I'm guessing I would put the base coats on first, and then put the dye's after. The white dye (Olympic Girl) I'm guessing is to mix with the Saffron to adjust with how dark you want it. The Honey base coat has gold highlight with it, that will "glit" the curves, which I like a lot.

But now for this new more golden finish (second picture), what would you guys suggest? (what Wudtone finish would you use?) I was thinking the same thing, Honey base coat, one of these dye's-- but maybe not Saffron but Golden Rod? The golden rod looks a lot like the above finish, but maybe it'll be too gold with that PLUS the Honey. I also read that you can add the gold highlight after (or in-between??) the base coats finishes so that it embeds in the grain, but how do I add it in the grain? Just apply it over every grain I see? Or over the whole body. See with all this gold being added, I think maybe the goldenrod dye would be too much.

In sum, I'd like there to be some "glit" in the curves due to the gold highlight found within the base coats (Honey) and some dye over that to let the grain pop out and give the whole body a more golden sunrise look (Saffron) and maybe I'd add some more gold highlight to the grain, but I don't know if this is necessary if the Honey already does it.

Oh yeah and for the top coat (the "lacquer" even though it isn't), I'll add the satin aged gloss, satin with a few coats should be still glossy and it will bring out the texture of the wood. "aged" because it warms the colour up and yellows it, which is what I'm looking for this finish. I really hope the grain is visible because it is beautiful as you can see!

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister

I actually found a lot of use information under their "About Us" link (on top of page) and then clicking downloads. First three links are pretty darn good!

https://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Wudtone-finishing-kit-instructions-Oct-15.pdf

https://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Wudtone-Finishing-additional-hints-and-tips.pdf

https://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/WOOD-SUITABILITY-TABLE-PDF.pdf

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister
@Deeve I'll go and check it out, thanks! If anyone wants to state their questions with Wudtone, go ahead. Hopefully the "experts" will see this thread, so they can come and help us out if they want. If anyone got any thing they want to say about my long post with the underlined stuff, I'd appreciate it!