Anybody here with speaker service/repair experience?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by The_Dud3, Jul 9, 2009.

1. The_Dud3

The_Dud3 TDPRI Member

Hi there. First thread here on the forums.

I was given a a very old speaker and I was planning on using it for and amp build.

Problem is, when I went to test the ohm rating on the terminals of the amp I got nothing.

So I very gently removed the dust cap (not really a cap but piece of felt or something) and very carefully scrapped off some of the black goop(?) and that very thin protective layer from the wires going to the voice coil. I measured the bare wires and got a reading that varies between high 6's and low-mid 7's.

After some process of elimination, I found out that the ground wired going from the outside speaker terminal has some how disconnected/went cold to the voice coil.

Question is: How can I remove the black goop safely and repair the joint without damaging the cone?

My soldering skills are pretty good, but most of my experience is with PCBs, pots, jacks, etc...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Scrape just enough away to access the joint with a soldering iron and the rest will burn off. You can later use Super Glue gel or whatever thick CA adhesive you can find to reinforce this "crossover" connection. Do BOTH while you are at it. You are going to need a new dustcap though.

3. The_Dud3

The_Dud3 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the help.

I did that and now the speaker works great. I'm getting a steady reading of 6.9 dc ohm resistance, and the speaker now jumps when I touch a 9v battery to the terminals.

I grabbed some really thick loctite gel control super glue from home depot and it's drying.

I'm not sure where I can get a dust cap though. I know I could probably use a piece of felt used for the legs of chairs. But I would prefer something a little nicer looking since all I have are off white felts.

I was thinking of removing the bottom of a pop/soda can (which are pretty nicely rounded) smooth it out so it's no longer sharp. It would look pretty cool, but maybe having something that rigid in there would cause problems.

Any diy ideas for a dust cap.

4. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Felt is good, flat paper is not used because it will flop around like a little drum head, so it's always formed into a dome for support. Craft stores sell small felt sheets in many colors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.