anybody here reload/handload ammo?

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
1642124187925.png
h
ttps://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/reloading-45-acp/361509
Tried and true info but there is much more. One thing: Make SURE you don't double charge a case!!

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I can't imagine reloading .45 ACP with the Lee loader. Even resized cases don't hold the bullet in place very well sometimes, and bullet setback can be a potentially dangerous condition. With revolver loads you crimp the case mouth into a chamfer on the bullet. With auto ammo you can't do this since it headspaces on the case mouth. I learned early on that a taper crimp die makes like a lot easier on auto loads.

The attention to detail remark is interesting. You really do have to pay attention. But, detail and self punishment are two different things. I know the Lee loader is a tried and true rig, but assembling ammunition with a hammer? Seems kind of barbaric.

You mentioned steel cases. Though a lot of people will tell you that reloading steel is possible, I've never tried it. I may be completely wrong about steel cases, but I'd suggest that you at least build some experience, and invest in some better tools before you try it.

When you do make the leap into a press, spend a few extra dollars on carbide dies. They're well worth the small additional investment.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, the Lee Loaders are very time consuming and as has been said, every effort to speed up can result in errors. I shoot more .223 rifle and 9mm handgun as factory loads are as cheap as reloading. You can burn through handgun ammo pretty quickly so I take my 9mm and .22 and trade back and forth.

When I go to the rifle range, I usually take 3 rifles (all bolt actions) for a little variety. 20-40 rounds per rifle is plenty to keep me busy for an hour and by then I'm done anyway.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a pickup truck tool locker, like 2’ x 2’ x 4’ full of store bought ammo with a huge padlock on it.

Friends have tried to interest me in reloading and I always ask how long it takes to make one bullet. The answers I get always make me question the value. I have 5 nice handguns and about 25 rifles and shotguns.

I can just buy a box of good 9mm x 50 rounds box, or several boxes and walk away. How long would it take to make one 9mm round?

I could be way off. I’m very intested in how long it takes to make a round.

Very respectfully.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have a pickup truck tool locker, like 2’ x 2’ x 4’ full of store bought ammo with a huge padlock on it.

Friends have tried to interest me in reloading and I always ask how long it takes to make one bullet. The answers I get always make me question the value. I have 5 nice handguns and about 25 rifles and shotguns.

I can just buy a box of good 9mm x 50 rounds box, or several boxes and walk away. How long would it take to make one 9mm round?

Very respectfully.

I can reload 9mm for 14 cents a round (powder, primers and bullets purchased before covid). If my press doesn't need adjustment, I can load 300 rounds in an hour (Hornady Progressive).

I usually load one hundred, and take them out to my wife so she can fondle them (her fingerprints are on thousands of rounds). 😂

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
HAven't reloaded since I was kid with Dad. Good times!

I would like to get a Lee Hand press and get back to loading 9mm/.38

Muttly

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Some good information, one thing I would add, seek out a mentor. Someone that has been reloading for a while, and hasn't lost any fingers or other parts in the process. Keep notes, track and label everything, be OCD about it.
If you are at the range, boonies, wherever you go shooting, and start wondering if you screwed up some ammo, too hot, under loaded, primers not seated deep enough ( too deep is also bad, firing pin reach, or lack thereof), whatever, stop, do not pass go.
Easier to pull the ammo apart, double check, than find out the hard way there was a reason you had doubts.
Take yer time, don't get in a rush, research, and enjoy it.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
correction: when I said the ACP headspaces on the rim, what I meant to say is it does NOT space on the rim. It spaces on the other end of the case... thats why case length is critical.

PaulNYC

TDPRI Member
I load 9mm and .45.I like to do it by the gallon. I enjoy using my Hornady Lock n Load.

gabeNC

Tele-Meister
I have a Dillon 550 for .45, 9mm and 5.56. I can load 100 9mm in about 15mins. That number can be misleading because there is alot of prep, casting time, case checking rounds, QA etc. I enjoy it. The hobby also helps to level out the economic spikes every now and then. Feels good to shoot a round than costs a nickel versus a dollar.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
My dad was a crazy reloader. When we sold the house we found 10000+ rounds, 1000+ shotgun shells, and many containers of gun powder. Buckets of lead type, which he used to cast his own bullets.

The young cop at the station acted like it was an everyday occurrence for someone to turn in that much ammo.
Why would you give it to the police?

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Very respectfully.

i don't know how long it will take to make a round with what i have now, since i don't have everything i need to do it and haven't done it yet. but it won't be very fast because i will not get in a hurry. before i can start i need powder, primers and a scale.

my first idea about reloading isn't about saving money and certainly not about time spent on it. i want to be able to have ammo even if i can't buy it anywhere. and also, it seems like a very interesting and engrossing hobby.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
In my experience from washing the cases to completed round, about 2 hours for 20 rounds with a Lee Hand Loader.

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My best advice is to find someone local who is rational, safe, and knows what they are doing and ask them to spend some time with you going through the process. I've done that for a number of new loaders and most of the folks I know with experience are likewise happy to help. Sorry I'm not closer to you.

The internet is a terrible place to get advice related to firearms related topics (I don't mean to give you grief for asking). If you do this right, its a great hobby that is rewarding and can either save you some money (or allow you to shoot more). A mistake can get you or a friend or family member seriously hurt.

In the meantime as others have stated above - get a manual from RCBS, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, or Sierra and read the introduction section - then read it again.

Take care
Nate