1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody here into bushcraft?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by garytelecastor, Feb 24, 2017.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I got into this about 6 years ago and I just LOVE it. I look forward to firelight camps and stars in the sky. Cooking fresh rabbit and squirrel, boiling water, making pine needle tea, cutting and batonning wood, packing a ruck. It just is like being a pioneer again.
    So is there anybody else out there who bush craft's?
    Let me know.

tery and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.
  2. garytelecastor

One of my buds:

Greenmachine likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You lost me at squirrel, but carry on...

moosie likes this.
  4. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, being originally from the backwoods of North Idaho, I kind of grew up that way. And loved it!

voodoostation likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I did all that years ago. Now I prefer "glamping". My nice little tent with a gas cook stove, portable power supply, inflatable mattress for my back and my sleeping bag folding chaise lounge. I can lay under the stars away from people and enjoy a freshly made Margarita thanks to a small blender and the power supply.

bparnell57, Rock-Ola, middy and 3 others like this.
  6. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Not no but he*l no. been there done that. When I first bought land in this valley There was no electricity no phones (or cell) and there was only paved road into here a few years before. We put a used house trailer on it with a Generator, Wood stove, and carted in water with a truck until we got a well drilled and electric run to here. Actually shot animals a couple of times to protect our horses!

Too old for that now. Now we have 2 houses wells electric and phone onto the land and run a business out of there. Generator is just backup. I'm on a board for the local electric coop.

Enjoy watching the deer,quail, dove etc on our land but haven't shot one now in 16 years!

tery and LutherBurger like this.
  7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I am very "into" it, although I don't ever get out INTO it. It's one of those things that I'm going to do all the time once I get the time.

8. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

I thought this was about skill with... oh, never mind.

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Dude, there is 3 feet of snow in the bush, you need a shovel to wack

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

i thought this was going to be about something else entirely.

AngelDeville likes this.
  11. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Personally I never have or never will eat a rodent including squirrel. What Ironwolf called glamping is what I would call normal camping. I like the idea of a tent. No TV or electric stuff. The propane stove and lanterns are a must. Have used them a lot in my life. I maybe able to toss the stove. Some type of lantern isn't really an option to get rid of.

12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I had my fill of that stuff in the Army. Give me creature comforts or give me death.

addz and Danjabellza like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I usually rough it at the Spy Glass Inn on the California coastline. I find just being away from home longer than for enough time to play a round of golf to have a sufficient enough impact on my life. When I hunted hounds I slept in the snow so many times, it completely cured me of any camping out tendencies I might ever have again.

14. garytelecastor

Squirrel is absolutely fantastic over an open fire. Same with rabbit. I don't hunt them unless it's season.
    Little story. My son loved squirrel when he was young. I used to go out with him and we would get a couple. I would take it home and bake it or deep fry it, and he was in bliss. So one day, he takes some to school with him for his lunch. He is sitting at his table with his buddies and one of his friends asks him what he is eating. He says squirrels. They start laughing and say, "you mean those things that run around in trees"? He says, "yup, want some?" So he gave them some and when they finished they all asked him to bring some for them the next time he could. In Vietnam they ate rats. If it was good enough for Hugh Glass....:)
    I used to do the whole tent, cushion, chair thing, but there is something very satisfying about building your own shelter, finding your own food, and water, and doing it in below freezing weather.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have never heard the term, "bushcraft", but this is the way I like to camp. I don't know anyone else that will do it with me anymore, so it is usually the way I camp going hunting by myself. I'm fortunate enough to step outside my door and decide what I want for dinner and go get it within an hour. Grouse and rabbit being my favorites. We store our garden harvests in a root cellar, but now that we just moved from the cabin to the house, we are eating store food this winter.:rolleyes::oops::(:lol:

BTW, I stopped using tents for camping about 30 years ago including snow camping.

16. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I like both squirrels and rabbit, and still spend a lotta time outdoors every single day. This time of year I hang out where it's warm and I just roam and wade fish, but my favorite place is still the north woods. I love the smell of the ground when Fall kicks in.

I used to tent camp quite a bit but will admit that my old bones and joints now pretty much prohibit anything but some kinda soft bed, or at least not the hard ground I used to throw my sleeping bag on without even a pad. But I'll love it out there as long as I'm breathing. Last November in one of my favorite places on earth. IMG_6102.JPG

tery, kuvash, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.
  17. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Like what, trimming hedges.........................:D

18. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

I don't do air mattresses or generators, but I like my tents. I keep it pretty primitive otherwise. It's just seldom cold enough down here to keep the bugs from eating you alive.

19. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

ya.... here in Alaska we used to call that.... camping. 40+ years ago before I had money for a tent an frewfraw fancy stoves etc:p

20. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

If by the North Woods you are referring to northern Minnesota's Boundary Waters, I spent time there twice in the '70's. I loved it. Now I'm planning a trip to take my grown son, who is a fishing fan, and my son in law, who is from Oregon ('nuff said). Any wisdom you can share about it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.