Anybody here have surgery for Dupuytren's?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sideways Jaye, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

I've had problems with Dupuytren's Contracture for about five years and now it's gotten to the point that I have to do something. It has mainly affected my pinky fingers and the one on my right hand is now at a right angle.

It doesn't affect my playing much yet, but when the left gets as bad as the right, it'll be a real problem. Meanwhile, it's uncomfortable and makes typing very difficult.

So, has anyone here had the surgery? How long did it take to be able to play again? When done on the left hand, how did it affect your playing long term?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure what your condition entails, or how old you are. But I have had multiple orthapedic [spelling mods, please feel free to flog me :D] surgeries, starting when I was 4 years old. My last one was 3 years ago this month. I am now 58. My advice is to think long and hard at the risks vs. rewards before any surgery. Just my .02.

3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

My father in law and my old boss both had surgery for Dupuytren's Contracture when they were in their 60s. It improved their life.

4. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

My wife has these things you speak of- she uses a keyboard for several hours a day and it tends to aggravate them. She has considered surgery.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

What's the cause of it? Is it an over-use injury? Won't consistent, methodical stretching or other therapies free it up?

6. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.