1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anybody here have acid reflux?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rdwhitti, Jun 2, 2018.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

How do you manage it? My mother had terrible acid reflux and ate Zantac like candy. Mine is not quite as bad as hers was but seems to be getting worse so that I have heartburn most days. I have never been able to detect any pattern in what causes it, even gulping water can set it off. I try very hard not to take medicine for it but sometimes it is so bad at night that I am forced to take meds and sit up for a few hours. The heartburn is bad enough but when it comes up into the throat it is almost unbearable.

I know there are basically two schools of thought about what causes acid reflux, either too much stomach acid or not enough. Those who say it is caused by not enough sometimes recommend apple cider vinegar; I have tried it and things get worse. Zantac seems to work based on the “too much acid” idea but I feel like if I take it too often it may actually cause it to be more frequent.

What do folks here do?

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Control it through your diet. You probably know what sets it off for you. I have to take omeprazole everyday. It helps if you can get a prescription for it. Cutting out sugar and losing weight helped me a lot though.

3. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I’ve been diagnosed with GERD (gastric reflux disease) and have a prescription for a proton pump inhibitor.

Also have Barrett’s esophagus (where reflux has changed bottom of esophagus cells into something like stomach lining), which can cause cancer.

Used to really enjoy spicy food and was a very heavy drinker for 25 years. Cut both out (still like spicy but not like I did- used to be able to count the alarms, mouth, tongue, throat, lips, and ears- get that burn going up the eustacean tubes tickling the ears ). And of course the next day...

I don’t consume food a couple hours before bed and generally watch what I eat. I’ve also lost some spare tire which contributes.

Might try elevating the head of the bed a bit and see if that helps, but I’m a stomach sleeper so it never made a difference.

jackal and a_pidgeon like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife was after me for a year to go to my doctor.

Symptoms: chronic cough. I wasn't really paying attention but my wife said I coughed all the time. She challenged me to go 10 minutes without coughing and I couldn't do it. Besides that, occasionally I'll have reflux that made me cross my eyes, it was so nasty.

Medication: one Tecta pill first thing in the morning (1/2 hr before b'fast). I don't know if it goes by the same name in the US (or Texas ;)) Generically, it is pantoprazole magnesium, a proton pump inhibitor.

Result: My cough went away along with my reflux. Tecta has few side effects and is well tolerated. I have been on it a month, I don't know about the long-term plan for me yet. I also don't know the cost -- I'm on a drug plan.

tonyj likes this.
  5. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

That’s just the problem, I can’t identify anything specific. Many times the things that I think will cause problems don’t, and mild things like scrambled eggs or even water will trigger a bad session. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The last time I was at the doctor I was reading a pamphlet on acid reflux when he came in the room and said I could write the book instead.

I have tried to eat the recommended foods and abstain from the so-called bad foods to no avail.

6. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

What he said. Anythig acidic absolutely kills me- tomatoes or tomato sauce especially, which sucks, because I love them. I stopped drinking also, which helped immensly. I didn't realize how much alcohol was aggravating this condition until I quit.

I usually take one Zantac a day, which helps, and if it starts flaring up I will take a round of over the counter generic Prevacid (I cant remember the name of the chemical, and I'm too lazy to Google it).

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I had it until I started having to take meds for blood pressure... then it went away. thats been over 10 years

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Generic nexium. I used to use zantac, nexium is way better. I have no problems with reflux now, it really improved my quality of life. I know you said you try to avoid medicine for it, but I can't see how taking a pill every day is worse than esophageal cancer... which is a real concern with uncontrolled gerd.

scrapyardblue and MilwMark like this.
  9. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

I've fought with it for years. Diet is the best remedy by far but not always easy to maintain. Eating several hours before bed helps.
    Minimizing greasy, heavy foods, caffeine or strong acidy drinks like sodas or lemonade, etc.
    I dont like to take meds either, but Nexium is the best medicine I've found for it (YMMV).
    I guess it's a proton pump inhibitor, which causes your stomach to produce less acid.
    I also keep tums and/or Alka-Seltzer on standby.
    And really big for me was to learn to sleep on my left side. This helps keep your stomach contents in your stomach. The acid, over time, weakens the muscle that keeps your stomach closed. When weakened, it relaxes and allows stomach acid and food particles to creep into your esophagus when you lie down. In severe cases it doesn't creep (as you know), it's more like a volcano launching acid into your throat. (I've actually had it affect my singing)
    Lots of things can be done. Just be proactive and persistent.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is not something to self treat. As others noted, it can have chronic issues that are quite severe. Get checked out and flow the doc’s advice on this one.

SacDAve and cactusrob like this.
  11. cactusrob

I went on the "Whole 30" whole foods diet for 30 days one time (not for reflux, for general health reasons ). My reflux was non existent (and I was eating uncured bacon and lard on that diet !) I think heavily processed food plays big into the epidemic of acid reflux nowadays. ...seems everybody has it.

Chicago Matt and twr102 like this.
  12. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

^^^^
    This!!

- Bob

cosmiccowboy and cactusrob like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know this sounds crazy, and I don't care, it worked for me. I started taking probiotics, and my heartburn stopped almost overnight. My heartburn was so bad, I used to put a teaspoon of baking soda in a half a glass of water and slam it, just to keep it from burning a hole through my tee shirt.

14. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Medication is the only thing that works for me. I understand the reluctance to take meds, but if you are suffering and have tried altering your diet, or can't find what triggers it you have no other options. Left untreated, it could lead to worse problems.

I the big thing for me is avoiding eating too late. If I do eat late, I have to sit up in bed and read. Raising the head of the bed or sleeping with a bunch of pillows to keep your head elevated can help somewhat.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. cactusrob

Interesting.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The thing I believe about heartburn is that...it causes heartburn. Whatever you need to do to stop having heartburn will eventually cure it. This may involve a diet that absolutely can not cause heartburn for a period long enough to allow healing. Sometimes I think simply being overweight will cause it...will cause the acid to push up in your throat.

Eating to much volume of any food...even mild food. Cigarettes can cause it. Go see what the doc says...

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife says drinking a glass of water can give her reflux.

18. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I had it horrible for years and years. I went to the doc numerous times, I was on all sorts of different things to control it. Like you, almost anything seemed to set it off. After over a decade of fighting it, I started to get many more stomach issues. Stabbing pains deep inside my abdomen, etc. Turns out my problem was a very bad gluten intolerance. Once I cut gluten out of my diet, my acid reflux went away and doesn't ever come back unless i accidentally get dosed with gluten.

Chicago Matt and william tele like this.
  19. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

I started drinking all fruit/veggie smoothies in the morning every morning, exercising and overall eating healthier and mine went away. That was five or six years ago... It was such a pain in the ass and I stopped 3-4 years ago and I stopped exercising as well... it came back but not nearly as bad. I just like pizza too much. Mild to moderate cases - tall glass of milk before bed and/or sleeping on left side - not sure what sleeping on the left side or where I got that from does but it works.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I took Prilosec for a week, when I went to my cardiac doctor and found out it was just heartburn, but my SIL and his dad take Prilosec for their acid reflux almost daily. They are both suppose to stop very spicy foods, but both love their local hot spicy Thai restaurant where they get a very special deal from some constant professional trading. As I understand it, you are not suppose to take it regularly, but both of them have been doing it for years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.