Anybody have recommended treble bleed circuit values for Jaguar?

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm probably going to experiment with some treble bleed circuit options for my Jaguar. Wondering if anyone has hit upon good values. With some research I found that for using a cap and resistor in parallel, a good rule of thumb is that the resistor value should be 50% to 90% of the value of the volume pot. That would mean using maybe a 500k resistor in parallel with a 1200pf cap, for example. But there is the issue of this style treble bleed affecting the volume pot taper too much. The Kinman circuit avoids that. That's where you put a resistor and cap in series across the vol pots.

I noticed that Fender uses a combination of both. Their website on treble bleeds shows a treble bleed circuit consisting of a 150k ohm resistor in parallel with a 1200pf cap, but also a 20k ohm series resistor in line between the first pot lug and the parallel bleed circuit. This circuit I think was designed for Strats and Teles with 250k pots, so I'm thinking of starting with the same concept, but probably bumping up the parallel resistor to around 330k or 500k ohms, and leaving the series resistor at 20k ohms. I'll use alligator clips and a breadboard so I can mess around pretty easily until I hit on the values.

But if anyone has done this and found a good solution please let me know. If I hit upon a good solution I'll post the results. I wish I had some trimpots on hand since that would make it even easier!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've used this one I found on Amazon with success.

Buhr Electronics Treble Bleed/Volume Mod, Orange Drop 716P .001 µF w/ 150 kΩ Metal Film Resistor​

$9.70
1642806242085.png

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Ok, after mucho experimentation using clips and a breadboard I settled on 1 nf cap ( aka 0.001 uf) in parallel with a 220k resistor plus a 10k resistor in series with that. The treble still drops a tiny bit going from about 10 to 8 on volume, but not nearly as dramatically as before. It’s actually perfect since it’s nice to get just a bit more cutting tone when I max the volume. Below that the treble balance stays nice and steady as volume pot goes to zero. Treble pot still works fine, too.

The 10k in series maintains a nice, functional sweep of the volume knob. I’m very pleased with how it sounds. I’ve got a gig tomorrow and now know I can actually use the volume knob.